Question

Sonos One Stereo Pair and Alexa

• 1 February 2018
  • 6 replies

When I set up my two speaker, Alexa recognized the devices as "...Sonos One" and "...2nd Sonos One". When I created my stereo pair (which dramatically improved the sound quality BTW), Alexa created a device for the pair called "Master Bedroom."

Should I leave this as-is in my Alexa settings; or should I delete the Sonos One and 2nd Sonos One devices, leaving only the "Master Bedroom" paired device?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think you have to leave the original names as it also looks at them as individual alexa devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I think you have to leave the original names as it also looks at them as individual alexa devices.
This is correct.

The Alexa app will show both the "Sonos Room Name" which is the name of the room those Sonos Ones are configured in, and individual entries for each of the players. These entries do have different settings, though right now most of them are duplicated on both. But for some features, like Reminders, you need to select the Sonos One entry, not the "Sonos Room Name".
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ding...Ding .... I got the right answer. Congratulations to me I have officially won a free Play:3 rubber foot.
Follow-up question/concern. In my "Living Room" I have Sonos One and 2nd Sonos One stereo-paired. When I ask Alexa to set a reminder, she will speak back to me on only 2nd Sonos One (let's say the right speaker). If I ask for any set reminders, she replies there are no set reminders, but she's replying from the first Sonos One (left speaker). If I get close to the right speaker and ask again, she replies "You have one reminder....".

So this means, I have two instances of Alexa's "memory/command queue" running in my living room? What's the preferred solution here? Mute the microphone on one of the devices so that only the other responds?
Hi there, eban5. Thanks for posting. You should have one instance of Alexa that works for the entire household. We will likely want to take a closer look at this in real time. When you have a moment, please give our support technicians a call. They will be able to take a look at how Alexa is working with Sonos, and get this sorted.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@eban5 - Reminders and timers are controlled on per device basis. This is not just true of the Sonos One, but all Amazon Echo devices as well. The idea is to avoid having a timer you set in the kitchen going off in someone's bedroom, etc..

Unfortunately, this holds true even when the speakers are paired for Stereo in your living room. You can set a reminder on your left speaker, and your right speaker will know nothing about it. I agree that it would better if the paired devices could communicate as one one this, as it can be quite annoying particularly when trying to query Alexa as to the status of a timer or reminder. The answer will depend, as you've noted, on which speaker answers.

Unless and until there is a change in this behavior, muting the mic on one of the two paired devices is the most common solution for those who find this to be a problem.