Sonos One Ownership

• 28 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Just thought I would add a positive regarding the new Sonos One.
Only had it for 2 days but I find it a superb piece of kit. Yes, there will be work in progress, and it will change, but overall it works very well for me. Might even get another one as the wife has collared this one! Doubt it will be discounted for Black Friday?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Whoops! Spoke too soon.
Wife not so impressed now. Seems to take an age to actually play a radio station. Alexa responds with all the correct details but, as some others have noticed, actually doesn't play anything. If left long enough, sometimes the station might play, but not always.
Another weird scenario. She usually listens to BBC radio stations, and once, playing, can ask Alexa to "stop" and the radio stops playing. But, when she asked to play "Planet Rock", it refuses to stop playing. And this is repeatable. She has to go back to playing a BBC station to get the speaker to respond to the STOP command.
I wonder if Sonos have an opinion on this?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Probably you'll be told 'it's a beta' ...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's an odd one, what happens if you use the command "Pause" versus "Stop"?

If you check in the Alexa app, does it show that the command was heard correctly?

I'd suggest disabling the Alexa skill for Sonos, and then adding it back in and re-discovering devices. If you're still having trouble, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi Ryan,
Do you need the diagnostic generated when the issue occurs? If not here is one I did just now:
Otherwise I will have to wait till later in the day (it's a bit earl here in the UK).
We now have an issue where the Sonos One keeps dropping the audio. I am sure I am using the Sonosnet.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Sorry Ryan forgot about your other question - no - pause does not work either.
The app only seems to show start commands. No stop commands shown in the week of ownership.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
To check your using SonosNet open 'About my Sonos system' under 'Help' in the Spnos app. All devices should a value of 0 against the WM setting - please check all devices. It is also worth removing any wifi settings if these have been set up before and you have a wired device (Connect, Boost etc.)
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Done all that. Value is 0
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The diagnostic is showing a lot of latency on the player, and I think it may be because of the way the connection is set up. Can you go to Wireless Settings for Sonos and change the system to run off of your wireless network, then disconnect the Ethernet to the PLAY:1 that's setup as a surround?

If you wanted to keep it wired in, you would want to wire the PLAYBAR into the network instead of your PLAY:1.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I wired it in due to the surround speakers constantly dropping out. To connect the Playbar to ethernet will not be easy, as it's nowhere near the router. I understand that Sonos doesn't support Homeplug solutions, which would have helped. Whilst I am grateful for your help with these issues, I am now a little miffed that the £2000 worth of equipment which I have bought, is not very stable. I wonder if there any other solutions to the problems?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
It would be much appreciated if someone from Sonos would expand on the initial reply that I should wire the system into the Playbar and not the Play1. The Sonos web site explicitly says that any speaker can be used for this purpose. Is that not now the case?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry for the delay, neilandjan. While any Sonos player can be wired into the network to make that wired link and generate SonosNet, some configurations don't make for optimal workings. When you make a stereo pair, the left side is the main speaker, and handles traffic, if you were to wire in the right hand side, devices would still start at the left side. It just adds an extra hop, and therefore latency. The same is the case with a home theater setup. The PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE handles all traffic. So what you have here is everything goes wirelessly to your PLAYBAR, then they get directed to your wired PLAY:1.

It's not that it can't work, but when you have trouble where latency could be to blame, cleaning it up is the best, first step.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I think it'd be best to give us a call on our support line, so we can work with you live. That way we can get this all sorted out.