Question

Sonos One Not Responding to Alexa Commands

• 30 October 2017
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Just setup the Sonos One. All steps were followed and setup went smoothly, However it is not responding to any commands. It does acknowledge the command where I ask to play music, but doesn't complete the action.

Diag-8022698

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Update. Alexa just told me it was 12:52, it's actually 19:52 in the `UK. This could be part of this issue.
To play music, you need one of the following services installed on both the Sonos app and the Alexa app:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM

For all other services, you can initiate playback using the Sonos app, and basic playback commands, such as play/pause, volume and skip, will continue to work.

Also check the Alexa app to see that you do not have duplicate names for any Smart devices. If so, make them unique and then rediscover devices. Alexa may think you are asking to play music on the thermostat or the bedroom lamp. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey,
I have Amazon Music and my Dot isn't called kitchen. The time thing makes me thing it is a setting/registration issues?
Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey there, gazzstevens.

Welcome to the Community. Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic report. I'd be happy to help out in any way I can.

Update. Alexa just told me it was 12:52, it's actually 19:52 in the `UK. This could be part of this issue.
Let's take a look at the Amazon Alexa app and how it is set up to work with Sonos. Head back to the Settings of the Alexa App and select your Sonos One (Kitchen). This will bring up your settings for that particular device. Does the Devices location match your actual location? I know I had to input my own postal code before Alexa would be able to give the proper time and local weather.

Since experiencing these problems have you tried disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill on Alexa? Does the History (Alexa App>>Settings>>History) accurately reflect the commands you are giving?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey,
So I’ve added postcode and still getting incorrect weather and time.

I’ve disabled and re-enabled skill, and also tried removing voice service from Sonos One and re-adding.

It’s also recognising commands in history.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge
Additional diag if required 8026888
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another couple of points to add:
- You may see in the picture above "oops" message, this continues to come up in the Alexa app.
- Amazon Dot works fine with regards to location, time and weather.
Thanks for the update, gazzstevens. Have you also tried deregistering the Sonos One and then re-registering in the Alexa app. These anomalies in the Alexa app that you described, it makes me think it could be something with how Alexa is connecting to the Kitchen unit itself.
Exactly the same issue here.
It is so frustrating, I've already spent over 2 hours trying to get it to work.
I can play my music using Plex through the Sonos app, then Alexa will play next track etc, but, although she says "playing music from ?" Nothing happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please try the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post and let us know how you get on:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022