Answered

Sonos One not playing Alexa output

• 21 October 2017
  • 69 replies

Userlevel 1
I am using the Sonos One I received today. I’ve got everything set up properly I believe but here’s the issue I’m having... the music plays fine through sonos app and commands but any non sonos commands aren’t outputting through the speaker. For example, if I ask for the flash briefing it will tell me “here’s your flash briefing” and then nothing will come out of the speaker. Same for “sleep sounds.” If I ask it to play a sleep sound it will say it’s playing but it won’t actually play. Seems to be the skill outputs but I could be wrong. My echo dot is working fine.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 October 2017, 19:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

I am using the Sonos One I received today. I’ve got everything set up properly I believe but here’s the issue I’m having... the music plays fine through sonos app and commands but any non sonos commands aren’t outputting through the speaker. For example, if I ask for the flash briefing it will tell me “here’s your flash briefing” and then nothing will come out of the speaker. Same for “sleep sounds.” If I ask it to play a sleep sound it will say it’s playing but it won’t actually play. Seems to be the skill outputs but I could be wrong. My echo dot is working fine.

The ole "we know our speaker doesn't actually play music but we're working on it." response.

The ole "we know our speaker doesn't actually play music but we're working on it." response.

Since when are a flash briefing or sleep sounds considered "music"?

Since when are a flash briefing or sleep sounds considered "music"?

'I will say I'm not having the same problems others are describing above like music not playing at all, or nothing after one song'

Feel free to chime in when you understand the entire issue.

'I will say I'm not having the same problems others are describing above like music not playing at all, or nothing after one song'

Understand just fine. Still think the statement was nonsense.

Understand just fine. Still think the statement was nonsense.

Oh, you're right. Hold on for a sec while I clarify...
I got a solution that worked for me from another forum:

Login to the Alexa portal on a computer (not a mobile device);

alexa.amazon.com
alexa.amazon.co.uk

Pick the one that's correct for your region.

With the 'Smart Home' section, select devices. In this section find any Sonos products and hit the forget button. Then move back to the Smart Home section and select smart home skills which is located at the bottom. Next to Sonos select Disable.

Once this is done, open the Sonos app;

More > Settings > Room Settings > Select the room which contains the ONE > Voice Services (might ask you to login) > Amazon Alexa > A pop up will appear > Remove Amazon Alexa from this room > Once removed select the MORE tab > Voice Services > Follow the install steps again.

Once that's done, move back to the Alexa website portal and select SKILLS. Search for SONOS, enable the skill. Once done search for devices. Check within the Smart Home section under devices that all your Sonos products are showing. Then give the speaker a go.

Many thanks Zadi from me too! I had exactly the same experience for me as Midzy - I am a UK early adoptor who find I could not play any music via Alexa. Great relief this now works thanks to these instructions.
I just got Sonos One/Alexa hooked up. Some of the voice commands recommended do not work, crickets from Alexa. But my big issue is that the music form my sound bar and sub are working but sonos one is not integrated with them. Alexa has discovered devices and completes but still no music comes from her speaker to join with my existing sonos play bar and sub. When I ask her to play the music it only comes on on her speaker. Totally annoying as I want all speakers to play for rich sound. Does anyone else have this issue and what is the fix? Also on my sonos app on my iphone 6s with the new IOS 11.0.3, I can see my two existing speakers but not the Sons One.
Userlevel 2
Ive just bought two play 1's with alexa. Apart from the weather and telling jokes. It dont do a fat lot. Certainly dont play your music or operate sonos. Should have got two old models and gone back to the app
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Darin Tillinghast, sounds like you might not have that Sonos One fully set up. Were you able to add it to your Sonos system using the Sonos app? To get it to play in sync with your soundbar and SUB, you'll need to use the Sonos app to group them together in to a room.

Once Sonos is set up, you'll want to go and tell Alexa to discover devices.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest you give us a call on our support line.
My sonos one alexa will not play any music track from Amazon my music - will play through the sonos app. Keep getting " not sure what went wrong message"
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I have been attempting to open the Alexa skill, Sleepsounds, on my Sonos One. The opening of the skill is confirmed by Alexa on the One, but asking it to play rain or a thunderstorm results in complete silence.

I did try the suggestion above about resetting my Sonos One and Alexa skill. Did not help.

Hope Sonos and Alexa can come together to fix this issue.
Yep, same exact issue here.

alexa.amazon.com
alexa.amazon.co.uk

With the 'Smart Home' section, select devices. In this section find any Sonos products and hit the forget button. Then move back to the Smart Home section and select smart home skills which is located at the bottom. Next to Sonos select Disable.

More > Settings > Room Settings > Select the room which contains the ONE > Voice Services (might ask you to login) > Amazon Alexa > A pop up will appear > Remove Amazon Alexa from this room > Once removed select the MORE tab > Voice Services > Follow the install steps again.

Once that's done, move back to the Alexa website portal and select SKILLS. Search for SONOS, enable the skill. Once done search for devices. Check within the Smart Home section under devices that all your Sonos products are showing. Then give the speaker a go.
This worked for me

alexa.amazon.com
alexa.amazon.co.uk

I meant to say a very big thank you zadiji for passing on tip, it was driving me crazy, using two Sonos Ones paired in a room.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That did not work for me. I tried that a day ago.

Specifically, we are talking about the Sleepsounds skill.

Alexa is able to open it on the Sonos One, but when you ask Sonos to play a sound, it won't --- even when Alexa asks you what sound you want to play.

Anyone else still having this issue?
Userlevel 1
Ok, I’m afraid that I have drawn the conclusion that the Alexa part of the Sonos One is utterly useless, it doesn’t hear me unless I’m almost shouting at it, at which time other Echos pick up the message. Loads of the skills don’t work and I can’t get my flash breifing. So I’m going to have to go and buy another Echo to use in the same room as the Sonos. Disappointing!!!! I expect that they will sort it out but in my opinion they shouldn’t be selling the One until it does work. On the plus side Alexa through Amazon products does seem to work with Somos speakers.
Finding similar problems as people in this thread are. There certainly seems to be an issue with the Sonos One always recognizing the "Alexa" wake word. I'd say I'm having about 75% success rate at best.

Running tests throughout the weekend it also seems very bad at picking up the wake word if the TV is on or I need to be yelling at the device.

Also noticed issues with some built in commands. Namely news not playing and with the Halloween weekend I tried saying "Happy Halloween" to the device. I got no response from the Sonos One whereas you get a response from any other Amazon device.

I had high hopes for this, especially with multiple integrations with Google, etc. But right now, as much as I like the playback sound of music, I've been trained by Amazon that Alexa will always respond accurately. Not so much here.

And as of this morning I think I learned that the Sonos One won't take advantage of Voice Profiles.

Worse yet, I've gotten nothing from Sonos outside of a tweet. It would sure be nice to know what commands work and what don't.
Userlevel 1
People would be less frustrated if Sonos told us what was happening. There have been comments on these pages but they are limited to ‘its software and it will eventually work.’ But when??? It isn’t really good enough to sell a product that is not working properly yet. I didn’t see in any of the literature that the Sonos One will not perform as well as an echo dot!

Cone on Sonos, tell us when you will start to send out software updates so we know when things might start to get better. Even if it is just a step in the right direction.

Great speaker, useless communications from Sonos and and utterly useless Echo.
People would be less frustrated if Sonos told us what was happening. There have been comments on these pages but they are limited to ‘its software and it will eventually work.’ But when??? It isn’t really good enough to sell a product that is not working properly yet. I didn’t see in any of the literature that the Sonos One will not perform as well as an echo dot!

Cone on Sonos, tell us when you will start to send out software updates so we know when things might start to get better. Even if it is just a step in the right direction.

Great speaker, useless communications from Sonos and and utterly useless Echo.

Totally agree. All we are looking for is some truth and transparency here. I'm willing to hold the product if we know this is being fixed. If not, it's time to return it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, most skills should work perfectly fine with the Sonos One, though some of them have some weird calls to services that it might not be able to answer. As an example, the app might play a sound that comes from Spotify. So if the Sonos One tries to play it, nothing will happen since the Sonos One can't access Spotify yet (coming by Christmas). The same would be true for another source we don't have access to.

The flash briefing is coming really soon. We haven't shared the official release date yet, but it's the top of our list right now, so you'll see it soon.

The longer the Sonos One is out, the better the voice analysis will get, as we fine tune it to pick out different voices and train it to ignore background noises.

The team here and at Alexa is constantly making improvements and working on the skill and the Sonos One, so you're going to keep seeing it improve over time. Some things will be faster than others, a few might not be possible. But it's an integration we're building on, and adding to, all the time.
Sonos one keeps saying flash briefing is not enabled even though i enabled it. I even did so by telling alexa, and it says i can access by asking for flash briefing. I also installed on the app. If this thing can only play music I have no use for it. I have built in speakers connected to sonos in every room. I wanted alexa functionality but this is just a speaker. Waste.
Sonos one keeps saying flash briefing is not enabled even though i enabled it. I even did so by telling alexa, and it says i can access by asking for flash briefing. I also installed on the app. If this thing can only play music I have no use for it. I have built in speakers connected to sonos in every room. I wanted alexa functionality but this is just a speaker. Waste.

As announced by Sonos, the flash briefing and other news functions are a top priority and will be coming to the One soon.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
[/quote]
As announced by Sonos, the flash briefing and other news functions are a top priority and will be coming to the One soon.[/quote]

I really wish Sonos would give us THEIR definition of what "soon" is. My ONEs are going back to Best Buy today for the cheaper Play 1's (match Amazon's price). The money I save on the Play 1's will pay for an Echo Dot, so my problem is solved. 😃
It’s a little frustrating and disappointing that you brought a product and market which does not have all the features of my Alexa Echo without disclosing this. Also the repsponse time on Sonos One is significantly slower than my gen 1 Amazon Echo. Your other products, however, have delighted me since you first launched.
It’s a little frustrating and disappointing that you brought a product and market which does not have all the features that my Alexa echo has

Prepare to be more disappointed in the future. Amazon has designated some functions to be Echo only. Calling and Drop In are two such functions; they don't even work on Amazon manufactured Alexa devices like Fire TV and Fire tablets. Nothing Sonos can do about it until Amazon extends the capabilities beyond Echo, so your disappointment should be with Amazon, not Sonos.