Answered

Sonos One: Gen 2 - Voice Control will not connect

Userlevel 1
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sonos One: Gen 2 to pair with my existing One: Gen 1. I was able to create a stereo pair with the two and they both amazing together. However, I can't get the Alexa voice control to work with the stereo pair or the new Gen 2 speaker. Alexa control was working fine on the Gen 1 speaker and when separating the pair and adding voice control it works fine on the Gen 1 speaker, but doing the same thing on the Gen 2 does not work. It takes me through the process and loads the amazon login page where i enter my credentials and proceeds to load for about 15 seconds and then I keep getting an error message saying to "try again later".

I have tried several solutions from previous forums, of which none have worked. I have tried powering off/on, resetting the controller, removing and adding skill in Alexa app, completely setting up the speakers again, resetting router, using ethernet connection, different device to complete setup (changed from Samsung to iPad). Occasionally when restarting the app i get a message telling me one of my devices maybe unplugged and to check room settings, however, they are all present and functioning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i paid $299 for the new speaker and the voice control functionality was a main reason.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 11 April 2019, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

hey mate, i'm in the same situation.

Purchased a Beam and 2 Sonos One: Gen 2s a couple days ago and can't get voice control to work on any of them...i get to the same stage as you and get the same message. I've also pulled my hair out trying numerous fixes just like you have.

This is apparently an issue on Sonos/Amazon end and they are working on a solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Moderator Note: This issue should now be resolved. If you continue to have any troubles using Alexa, see this troubleshooting guide, and open up a new thread if needed.

At the moment, I am unaware of any known issues regarding Amazon Alexa set up on the Sonos One (Gen 2). Based on the troubleshooting steps you've both already taken, I would recommend getting in touch with our support team directly so they can have a closer look at what is going on in real time.
At the moment, I am unaware of any known issues regarding Amazon Alexa set up on the Sonos One (Gen 2). Based on the troubleshooting steps you've both already taken, I would recommend getting in touch with our support team directly so they can have a closer look at what is going on in real time.

I did contact the AU phone support line and they are the ones that told me they are aware of the issue and would email me when there is an update. They said it was mostly affecting the Beam but could be the reason the Ones are also having issues.
im having the same issue here. just bought a new Sonos One gen 2 and cant seem to get it to connect to alexa. after i click the allow bit it returns an error saying that it had a problem and to try again. Im in Australia too so not sure if thats related.
Userlevel 1
im having the same issue here. just bought a new Sonos One gen 2 and cant seem to get it to connect to alexa. after i click the allow bit it returns an error saying that it had a problem and to try again. Im in Australia too so not sure if thats related.

Like vikram33, I've spoken to Sonos support using the Australian number and they are aware of the problem and are hoping to have it fixed very soon. He mentioned they would update the website to show the error.

Like vikram33, I've spoken to Sonos support using the Australian number and they are aware of the problem and are hoping to have it fixed very soon. He mentioned they would update the website to show the error.

awesome, hopefully something is done soon. my wife is already giving me questioning looks since our echo was working perfectly. i just wanted something that sounded better 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello again everyone. Thanks for following up. Shortly after I posted my reply, just as you all had reported, we recognized a problem with adding Alexa to some Sonos systems. The team is looking into the problem, and I will be happy to keep this thread updated as information becomes available.

Thanks for your patience!
FYI I also have this problem (in Australia too). I contacted support and was asked to try the following ... but it did not work.

Thanks for the diagnostic report. Let's try the following steps:

A)Temporarily hardwire the Kitchen Sonos into your ASUS router.

😎 Some ASUS routers need to have the "Airtime Fairness" setting disabled and IGMP Snooping enabled in order for Sonos to work optimally.

Once you've logged in, look for the settings under:

Wireless > Professional > Airtime Fairness > Disable.

Turn it off for both the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies.

then

Wireless > Professional > IGMP Snooping > Enable

C) Restart the other Sonos players. Pull the power, wait a few seconds, then plug the power back in.

D) Try to add the Alexa services once again.

Please let us know how it goes.
I too have reported this issue to support and awaiting a fix from them...
Hi, same issue here (also in AUS); 2 x Sonos Ones with no Alexa functionality - hope this is fixed soon!
Yep we are having the same issues over here: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/there-was-a-problem-adding-alexa-6822820/index1.html#post16327990

Very frustrating.
Badge
Version 10.1.2 of the iOS app does NOT fix this issue.
Version 10.1.2 of the Android app does NOT fix this issue either.
Glad I'm not the only one having this issue, I can connect Sonos One but Sonos Beam will not connect... Aus.
Here's a temporary fix: change Amazon country account to another country so it is no longer with Amazon.com.au. Alexa was able to be added and works fine again, then changed back.

Account
Manage content and devices
Preferences
Country/region settings
Userlevel 1
Here's a temporary fix: change Amazon country account to another country so it is no longer with Amazon.com.au. Alexa was able to be added and works fine again, then changed back.

Account
Preferences
Country/region settings

Indy_500,

Thanks, this seemed to work for me, although it a little buggy. Sometimes I'll ask Alexa to do something and she'll start speaking but it will cut out half way through and not perform the command. I also wish Alexa would respond over both speakers in a stereo pair instead of which ever one is closest to my voice.

Account
Preferences
Country/region settings

Indy_500,

Thanks, this seemed to work for me, although it a little buggy. Sometimes I'll ask Alexa to do something and she'll start speaking but it will cut out half way through and not perform the command. I also wish Alexa would respond over both speakers in a stereo pair instead of which ever one is closest to my voice.

Works a treat for me!

Account
Preferences
Country/region settings

Worked for me!
Do we have any ETA for the fix? eagerly waiting. Work around of changing region is a hassle and dont prefer it.
I was tracking this on https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/there-was-a-problem-adding-alexa-6822820/index3.html#post16332113 where it has been reported as being fixed with a Sonus update.

I subsequently tried on my system and I am now able to connect my Beam to Alexa. 🙂
When I had my play 1 and echo dot all of this worked perfectly with Alexa. Had all my triggers and automations perfectly set up and working. I am going to demand a refund or exchange with Sonos as this is absurd that so many people are experiencing bugs. If sonos couldn’t integrate the echo / Alexa functionality perfectly and test it prior to release, why even do it? I feel extremely let down especially after recommending sonos to so many people over the years.

I just bought a third Sonos One.  The first two are Gen 1, this one is Gen 2.  Can’t get the microphone button to work, returned it and got another, still the same problem.  Tap the button and nothing.  Anyone know anything?

Phone support at Sonos told me that the voice control would be disabled on my Sonos One if I used it as part of a surround sound setup. The thought was so outlandish that I just couldn’t believe it...but after weeks of frustration and no voice control, I guess I must believe it. Phone support is awful. So loud with all the other operators in the background that you can’t hear anything.

Now they tell me to go to the “Community” for answers? No responsibility for an extremely expensive product. The names Sonos and Alexa are starting to turn my stomach.

Can someone please tell me if I can use surround sound and actually get Alexa to play music for me?

Phone support at Sonos told me that the voice control would be disabled on my Sonos One if I used it as part of a surround sound setup. The thought was so outlandish that I just couldn’t believe it...but after weeks of frustration and no voice control, I guess I must believe it. Phone support is awful. So loud with all the other operators in the background that you can’t hear anything.

Now they tell me to go to the “Community” for answers? No responsibility for an extremely expensive product. The names Sonos and Alexa are starting to turn my stomach.

Can someone please tell me if I can use surround sound and actually get Alexa to play music for me?

Voice control is only disabled on surrounds when using a Beam.  If you are using a Beam go to Settings, Services, Alexa and make sure the Beam is listed.

Ok, thanks. Finally an answer. It would have saved a lot of aggrevation if Sonos "Support" could have provided that answer.