Answered

Sonos One / Alexa will not play music.

• 14 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Had the Sonos setup and working with Alexa fine last week. Moved it to a different building with different wifi. Setup new wifi, Alexa voice commands would acknowledge me, she would give time, weather, but when I ask to play music, it says “playing music from Apple music” but no music, same with iHeart Radio. If I go into the Sonos S2 app on my phone and play music from Apple music, it will play fine, Alexa voice command will turn volume up and down, but will not pause. I did a reset on the speaker and app both, but same issue. Help please!

icon

Best answer by Paul A 14 August 2020, 00:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @brileyr.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided. Here is the complete guide on how to perform the steps below.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which is and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

That fixed it! Thanks! I’m very grateful!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @brileyr.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I’m glad everything is now working. I hope you continue to enjoy your Sonos.

Please feel free to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hello.  I’ve got the same problem for teh last week or so.  I’ve tried the above and it doesn’t work.  Please can someone help?  Thank you very much!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @RDJT.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out and trying the recommendations I have posted above. I definitely understand it can be quite frustrating about things not working as expected. Let me help you out.

I would still recommend going through the above recommendation accordingly, performing each step to a tee. If it would be possible, I would recommend performing the above recommendations using only a single mobile controller (making sure that other mobile controllers that have access to your Sonos System be turned off). If after performing the above recommendation accordingly and still the issue persists. I would recommend submitting a diagnostic and contact our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks @Paul A it worked this time! Much appreciated. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @RDJT.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.
I’m glad that the troubleshooting steps above were able to fix your issue. The main purpose of the troubleshooting steps above is to make sure that Amazon Alexa’s amazon account is not mixed up with other Amazon-related accounts such as Amazon Prime, Amazon shopping, etc. I do hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

If you still have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I had this problem after I updated the Sonos software. I tried every fix I could find, reinstalled the older software, rebooted, reset, turned off and signed out of every Amazon thing I had ever owned. Gave up after several weeks of trying. We were left with an Alexa that would not link to Spotify or any other music service.

What finally sorted it was disengaging the Alexa voice assistant and enabling Google Assistant instead.

Works a treat now.

Maddening as we bought this originally for the Alexa functionality. But not missing it at all now!