Question

Sonos One Alexa not working correctly

• 25 October 2017
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
Set up new Sonos One. Alexa will start playing when requested but when requested to stop or pause, Alexa responds with "I can change playback mode only when music is playing" despite the fact that music is currently playing. Alexa will respond to other questions like "what's the weather?" but then music resumes. Alexa just won't stop, or play music on another speaker once started.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Badge
I only have one Sonons. It is in the kitchen. I started a podcast in the sonos app, then told "Alexa, stop in the kitchen" She replied that there were no cameras attached to the device.

I tried several more times, and now it seems to be working by adding the room. Weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The issue we were looking into is now resolved, so the direct naming shouldn't be needed for those commands on the Sonos One. Let us know if anything else comes up.
Hello my problem with new sonos1 I ask Alexa to set timer and a alarm it shows up but the never go of I have set the time right and date but dose not work
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello my problem with new sonos1 I ask Alexa to set timer and a alarm it shows up but the never go of I have set the time right and date but dose not work
Just making sure, have you tried setting the date and time for both of the Sonos One entries within the Alexa website using a computer? alexa.sonos.com for the US.
Hello, i recently started having thing problem randomly. Everything was working fine and then 4 days ago, the pause does not work. To re cap, i can start music by saying "Alexa play Piano Music" or even just "Alexa Play" and then if i say "Alexa Pause" i get a "i am not quiet sure how to help you with that" . I am playing from spotify. how do i fix this?

Arun
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, i recently started having thing problem randomly. Everything was working fine and then 4 days ago, the pause does not work. To re cap, i can start music by saying "Alexa play Piano Music" or even just "Alexa Play" and then if i say "Alexa Pause" i get a "i am not quiet sure how to help you with that" . I am playing from spotify. how do i fix this?

Arun

Hi

If you say 'Alexa, Stop' does that work - I find this command more reliable than 'Pause' and to Sonos it means the same thing.

If this doesn't work, please disable and then enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and retest.
[/quote]

Hi

If you say 'Alexa, Stop' does that work - I find this command more reliable than 'Pause' and to Sonos it means the same thing.

If this doesn't work, please disable and then enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and retest.[/quote]

Just Tried it .... it just does nothing and music continues to play
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay next can you power down for 10 secs your devices in this order letting each boot completely before moving to the next:

- Router
- Any wired network switch
- An Wired Sonos product
- Any other Sonos product

Arun

Hi

If this doesn't work, please disable and then enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and retest.

Just read the second part of your message. Did that, solved my problem. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great news 🙂
Hello Again

So this problem essentially repeats it self if i ever control the speakers directly from my spotify account and then try do alexa voice commands. This time when is say "Pause" , the light blinks and it does nothing.

I can solve the issue by disabling and renabling the skill but are you guys working on a permanent fix?

Arun