Question

Sonos One Alexa not working correctly

• 25 October 2017
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
Set up new Sonos One. Alexa will start playing when requested but when requested to stop or pause, Alexa responds with "I can change playback mode only when music is playing" despite the fact that music is currently playing. Alexa will respond to other questions like "what's the weather?" but then music resumes. Alexa just won't stop, or play music on another speaker once started.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Check the Alexa app to see if there are any duplicate names for your smart devices. Change them to unique names and ask Alexa to "discover devices" again.
Userlevel 1
Pulling my hair out. That may have been the problem, but had changed another device name after set up. So, I have renamed previous device that I moved to a new location, but even after a factory reset of both devices, Alexa still plays music from speaker, but believes it is playing from the other one (using previous room name that no longer existed), when I go to device list, it doesn't even list the new room I set up after factory reset, but does display a previous name I had used, along with another room that was not present before setup. It is somehow not linking Sonos One Alexa function, to Sonos one device, keeps linking it to my Echo. (first generation I think)
Userlevel 1
This is part of my device screen in Alexa app. Lisa's office (is where I moved original Echo), Nook had previously been created and linked to my Sonos one (this was deregistered and factory reset, confirmed to be off my device list, and when I set it up again, I named it "kitchen". Showed up as Nook anyway.), Not sure where "office" came from but this is where Alexa believes that she is playing music. I can only deregister the the Nook, there is a serial number under office, but I bet it is one representing Sonos (not Alexa), a different serial number under Nook. And What is this "David's Amazon Apps". This is not a device
Userlevel 1
If I delete alexa app, and Sonos app can I reset everything? Or once I log on, all information will repopulate with the crosswired links
i have had nothing but problems connecting my Play 1s to my echo DOT with little/no help from Amazon tech support and Sonos tech support needs to increase their hours for tech support. The comments easily done via the webpage is long extinct.
I’m having the same issue. No other devices with same name on the system but she still says she can’t stop playback
I have just developed exactly the same issue with my sonos and Alexa after it had been working perfectly for over a week - have tried all sorts but cannot rectify the problem currently - very frustrating.
Same here. It was working fine for about a week and now it does not recognise that something is playing. Commands like pause are met with "I can change playback mode only when music is playing", and asking it "what's playing" gives the response "i'm sorry i cannot tell what is playing".

No naming conflicts and I've tried disabling skills/re-authorising everything/linking the alexa back to the sonos/etc.
I thought the Play would be the answer to upgrading the sound to my Alexa controlled home but it breaks the Alexa functionality and is more trouble than it is worth. We have used an Echo Dot with an external speaker for a year or more now to control several lights throughout the house and radio mostly through Tunein Radio.

I'm sure the Play is a great speaker but having to control it through the app is no better than a bluetooth speaker and is not universally useful like a bluetooth speaker. Sonos should have waited on this Alexa beta because I now have had a bad first experience with their products.
Same problem here. Got my first Sonos 3 today to fit in with my Alexa controlled home. Big disappointment that it doesn't work correctly with Alexa.
Can't wait for Sonos/Alexa to sort out this bug - really annoying after having the system working (almost) perfectly albeit awaiting the full Spotify integration. I hope I don't have to wait until 21st December to get this new issue resolved and proper functionality back ?
The reason why the commands are not working is because you probably started playing your music thru the app. I noticed if you do so, voice commands Do Not work. You have to stop music thru app. As long as you start your music thru Alexa all commands for playing, pausing, skipping songs will work. Its really annoying. Hope this helps.
The commands used to work when started playing via app as mainly listen to Spotify have to start this way.
Alexa will not start playing music via voice command
The commands used to work when started playing via app as mainly listen to Spotify have to start this way.
Alexa will not start playing music via voice command

Oh I see. I use Amazon Music. Either way, the voice commands should work regardless of where the music is coming from. I feel your frustration.
I have just developed exactly the same issue with my sonos and Alexa after it had been working perfectly for over a week - have tried all sorts but cannot rectify the problem currently - very frustrating.
This is my second Sonos one to have problem. First one wouldn’t connect to music services despite Alexa saying it was connecting. This time it’s worked for a week and now doesn’t play again. Very frustrated and feel like I’m training their tech support staff.
Badge
I am having exact problem. When I start something within the Sonos app, Alexa does not "see" it. I get same response: I can change playback mode only when music is playing

Really frustrating. I don't recall this happening when I first got it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The reason why the commands are not working is because you probably started playing your music thru the app. I noticed if you do so, voice commands Do Not work. You have to stop music thru app. As long as you start your music thru Alexa all commands for playing, pausing, skipping songs will work. Its really annoying. Hope this helps.

This is the issue but it worked a week ago. I think an update was pushed server side and functionality has since been diminished.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you please try these actions:

- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and disable the Sonos Skill;
- In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices';
- Select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
- In the Sonos app, select 'Settings' and for each of the Sonos 1's remove 'Voice Recognition';
- If you have a Connect, Boost or other wired device, please power down and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
- Power down the Sonos 1's and then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
- In the Sonos app, Select 'Manage' and then select 'Add a player or sub' and add the two Sonos 1's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
- In the Alexa app, select 'Skills' and ensure the Sonos skill is enabled, if not please 'Enable';
- In the Alexa app (must be PC version), select 'Smart Home' then 'Devices'
- Select 'Discover' at the bottom of the screen. Ensure that your Sonos 1's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'. Also ensure that there are no devices with the same name (To ensure my Sonos devices are not duplicated, I've added Sonos to the end of each of my players within the Sonos App. Remember, if you want to do this, rename before selecting 'Discover';

Please retest and let me know the result.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Starting audio from the app and then controlling via Voice works for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is the issue but it worked a week ago. I think an update was pushed server side and functionality has since been diminished.

There have been some issues but if you reboot these items in this sequence it appears to resolve the issues associated to the latest Update:

- Router
- Connect or other wired device;
- Sonos Players.
Badge
Just tied rebooting. Still having the same issue. I started playing a podcast from within the sonos app, then asked Alexa to stop. Alexa told me she could not adjust playback when no music is playing. I had to use the app to stop playback
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just tied rebooting. Still having the same issue. I started playing a podcast from within the sonos app, then asked Alexa to stop. Alexa told me she could not adjust playback when no music is playing. I had to use the app to stop playback

I've just tested this again, it was working earlier but I can now replicate your issue consistently. Diagnostic 8050731.

Can you please Submit a diagnostic and post the number here?
Badge
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I recently replied to one of your other threads Jason, but for others not there, we're looking into an issue similar to what some of you are describing.

Currently, if you start music on the Sonos One using the Sonos app, you can't use the "Alexa Stop" command all of the time, it may give you an error. If you use "Alexa, stop in the ____" it should work though. We're working with the team on that right now, but for that specific command, the implicit targeting is having trouble.