Sonos One - Alexa ESP Support?

• 9 October 2017
  • 15 replies

So I'm pretty ready to get the new One, but I have an important question - does it support "ESP" - or "Echo Spatial Perception"? The feature is what makes two echo devices hear you decide which one should respond, rather than both responding.

I have an ecobee thermostat with Alexa built in, but no ESP...so I had to turn it off as it is in the hallway, and the Echo Dot in the dining room down the hall hears all my requests in the hallway, making them both respond which is really annoying (especially when it is not just a question and you are preforming some home automation action, which will make it trigger twice.) So in the end I just disabled the feature on my thermostat.

Also, how does it work when you have a stereo pair? should I buy extra Play:1's to be the second speaker in the array rather than having to Sonos One's in the room?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I can answer the last part... it has been said that Play:1 and Sonos One speakers will not be able to be paired. However, there are at least four other topics asking for this functionality, so maybe Sonos will reconsider if enough people want it. Personally, I don't need two speakers with microphones in a bedroom, but I would love to get a Sonos One to pair with my existing Play:1 speaker.

I would be surprised if it didn't support the ESP functionality though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
From our announcement on the Sonos One:

The speaker includes a six-mic array that forms a beam and focuses on the person speaking to help make sure Alexa understands everything clearly.

Sonos One is designed to be able to work with other Alexa devices and determine which one you're looking to talk to.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
So in the end I just disabled the feature on my thermostat.

Since your original question has been answered, I thought I'd throw out another thought.

Since Alexa supports multiple "wake" words, you could potentially modify what the Thermostat responds to, so it doesn't trigger off what the other devices do.
So in the end I just disabled the feature on my thermostat.

Since your original question has been answered, I thought I'd throw out another thought.

Since Alexa supports multiple "wake" words, you could potentially modify what the Thermostat responds to, so it doesn't trigger off what the other devices do.

Thats true, I guess I'll set that to "echo" just so it won't constantly have the red mic mute LED on.

It is a bit annoying that you can't stereo pair a 1 and a One, I guess they are sonically different, but just a bit annoying to have "redundant" mic array hardware on speakers that will be 3 feet apart from one another.
Great idea about changing the Wake word on ecobee4. However, I discovered that ecobee 4 only accepts “Alexa” as the wake word as of this writing.
Userlevel 2
https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/865c3b71-a592-492a-89bb-4e0850e60b25/sonos-one-brings-enhanced-alexa-music-capabilities-to-customers

Best of all, Sonos One is the first AVS device to ship with Echo Spatial Perception (ESP), a new feature that polls all compatible Alexa devices in the room, and chooses the one closest to the customer to respond.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Also, how does it work when you have a stereo pair? should I buy extra Play:1's to be the second speaker in the array rather than having to Sonos One's in the room?

I've got two Sonos One's in a stereo pair but I had to turn of the microphones on one of them as they kept chatting to each other. If the one that answered me gave a response that contained the word Alexa the other one piped up and if it said Alexa the first one started again. Funny at first but then very annoying. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I've got two Sonos One's in a stereo pair but I had to turn of the microphones on one of them as they kept chatting to each other. If the one that answered me gave a response that contained the word Alexa the other one piped up and if it said Alexa the first one started again. Funny at first but then very annoying. :D

I just spent an embarrassing amount of trying to recreate this and failed. :(

What command are you using that has Alexa say that name and active the other one?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I've got two Sonos One's in a stereo pair but I had to turn of the microphones on one of them as they kept chatting to each other. If the one that answered me gave a response that contained the word Alexa the other one piped up and if it said Alexa the first one started again. Funny at first but then very annoying. :D

I just spent an embarrassing amount of trying to recreate this and failed. :(

What command are you using that has Alexa say that name and active the other one?

Anything where it will mention the Alexa app in the response, eg, What is the BBC.
We have a Sonos One in our Kitchen and an Echo Dot in our living room. Pretty often the Echo Dot in the living room will respond to commands I am giving to the Sonos One in the Kitchen. For example "Alexa - newsflash" and they will both start playing. Amazon has a feature called ESP where only the "closest" Echo responds but does this work with Sonos One? For now I have to mute my Echo Dot
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This does work with the Sonos One, and should work between Echo devices and the Sonos One too. If both your Echo device and your Sonos One are on the same Amazon account, the cloud should sort the two out and have the one that hears the best reply.
This does work with the Sonos One, and should work between Echo devices and the Sonos One too. If both your Echo device and your Sonos One are on the same Amazon account, the cloud should sort the two out and have the one that hears the best reply.

They are def on the same amazon account. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it does happen to me.
If I ask a question / give a command on my Sonos One in my kitchen, it receives the question. But then the Echo Spot in my bedroom responds; the Sonos stays silent. Any thoughts?
Same for me too
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Echo Spatial Perception on Amazon's own devices works acceptably, if somewhat inconsistently, for me. On the Sonos One (and I have several) the implementation is really quite poor, at least in my experience. Right now I am sitting less than four feet away from the speaker in my office, yet if I ask Alexa to do something, the speakers in my Dining Room or Family Room (much further away and around a corner or two in the house) almost invariably answer. This despite the office speaker having announced that it was listening with that annoyingly clunky wake sound. The Sonos One rarely seems to identify the nearest speaker correctly, and sometimes seems determined to choose the furthest one away.