Sonos One 2nd Gen not sensitive enough microphone

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies
I purchased a new Sonos One 2nd gen last month, and I immediately noticed that the microphone was nowhere as sensitive as the gen 1 version. For Alexa to respond, I have to be quite near the Sonos One, and I've had to raise the volume of my voice to be heard.

I relocated from Europe earlier this year and was waiting for all my Sonos gear to arrive with my furnitures. Those have now arrived and I set it all up over the past few days.

So I have Sonos One devices in all bedrooms, all but one are 1st gen, the 2nd gen being in my bedroom.

When I say "Alexa, turn on the light", it's typically Alexa in another room that will respond. "Alexa set a timer for 5 minutes" and you can hear it being setup in another bedroom.

Now I don't know if it's an issue with this particular gen2 that is faulty, or that somehow the gen2 has a less sensitive microphone. But it's pretty much unusable as an Alexa device. If I say "Alexa!" with a rather low voice, I can hear the "ding" noise on all the other Sonos One but the gen2 that is closer to me.

Any ideas if that sensitivity can be adjusted?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi jya

Try turning the mic off and on again. That's been tried before as a reset.
I'm also seeing less sensitivity from the microphone on my Gen 2 vs. Gen 1. In addition, when Alexa does respond, it often says its not available while the Gen 1 works fine! They are both on the same network and turning the mic off and on as well as unplugging or resetting the Gen 2 doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm also seeing less sensitivity from the microphone on my Gen 2 vs. Gen 1. In addition, when Alexa does respond, it often says its not available while the Gen 1 works fine! They are both on the same network and turning the mic off and on as well as unplugging or resetting the Gen 2 doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Any ideas?
The "not available" message could be due to network strength, have you tried flipping the locations of the two devices to see if the issue follows the player or stays in the location?

I'm also seeing less sensitivity from the microphone on my Gen 2 vs. Gen 1. In addition, when Alexa does respond, it often says its not available while the Gen 1 works fine! They are both on the same network and turning the mic off and on as well as unplugging or resetting the Gen 2 doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Any ideas?The "not available" message could be due to network strength, have you tried flipping the locations of the two devices to see if the issue follows the player or stays in the location?

Ryan S, thanks for your response. I've tried that and network strength is definitely not the issue. As with the first poster, often times, the Gen 1 will respond even though its in another room while I'm standing right over the Gen 2 trying to give it instructions.

In addition, when Alexa on the Gen 2 does work, it often will not acknowledge an instruction. For example, if I say "Alexa, set a 5 minute timer", the status light will blink on the Gen 2, but Alexa won't confirm whether the timer is set or not. It's only after repeated asking will it finally set and/or confirm the timer. As mentioned, Alexa also seems to go offline very often on the Gen 2 as Alexa responds "Sorry, I'm having trouble understand right now. Please try again a little later." Turning off the microphone or unplugging helps temporarily, but these issues always come back.

The inconsistency of Alexa on the Gen 2 is very frustrating!
I've also noticed the microphone Struggles to pick up my voice when there is ambient noise or music playing.
Is Sonos working on improving their software to better filter out background sounds and home in on voice commands?
Since last week I have 3 one’s in different rooms WiFi and cable. They all respond very badly. I had Harman Kardon citation on trail and even with the protective plastic on the mic it could hear and understand me clearly. They are google only so I returned them and bought sonos. But is this hardware or software related? And does anyone know if this will be fixed? I would like to know because I can still return them.

Same problem here only got mine for Christmas 19 and not picking our voices up very well at all….any fix yet? If not it's going back, Such a shame as its a nice sounding speaker

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Does the Gen 2 have less microphones inside?, seems logical it will not be as sensitive?.

Same problem here only got mine for Christmas 19 and not picking our voices up very well at all….any fix yet? If not it's going back, Such a shame as its a nice sounding speaker

It gets better as it learns your voice.  

Badge

My Sonos one 2nd Gen also has a problem with the microphone it does not hear you unless you shout over any ambiant noise. It is in the lounge and quite often will respond to the TV but will not respond to voice commands. Are there going to be a software issue or a hardware issue as my Amazon echo in the next room will quite often respond before the Sonos One. 

Any update on that? Having the same issue....

Does the Gen 2 have less microphones inside?, seems logical it will not be as sensitive?.

@Keithmac, the Sonos One Gen 2 does have fewer microphones then the original. However, they are stronger then the original. 

My Sonos one 2nd Gen also has a problem with the microphone it does not hear you unless you shout over any ambiant noise. It is in the lounge and quite often will respond to the TV but will not respond to voice commands. Are there going to be a software issue or a hardware issue as my Amazon echo in the next room will quite often respond before the Sonos One. 

@richardblake80, is your Sonos One part of a surround system? Also, how loud is the TV when you attempt to give google a command, as the TV could be muffling your voice?

Are you all using the “Hey Google” command, or “Ok Google”? I find saying “Ok Google” works better. 

Badge

My sons are a stereo pair the TV is at normal volume we don't have it loud it will quite often respond to the TV but struggle with voice commands unless you shout where if I put my alexa in the same location it can hear the commands just fine. I think this Could be a software issue just hoping sonos will release a fix. 

I am unaware of any software issues with Google Assistant at this time. I would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow is to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Just bought 2 Sonos one speakers replacing 2 original echo dots I got for $30 each.  The echo dots are leaps and bounds better in microphone quality.  Honestly I’m pretty pissed about this, I have a 15 speaker Sonos system in another house and it works beautifully.  I expected much better from Sonos equipment.  Literally 80% of the time the Sonos misunderstands or does not hear my commands.  Terrible microphone quality.  The echo dots I could whisper from another room and they’d understand me.  On the Sonos I can be raising my voice at either of them from 5 feet away with no music and little ambient noise and I’ll ask it to do something and it doesn’t understand me.  Laying on my bed 4 feet from the one on my nightstand right now.  I asked it “Alexa when is Mother’s Day” in a raised voice, it responds “I didn’t catch that, please say that again.”  Infuriating.  I’ll probably be returning them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The mic on this just isn’t sensitive enough, most of the time I have to shout to get myself heard, and how does milk sound like mute? Alexa mute then it asks me if I wanrt to add milk to my shopping list. Infuriating and just not good enough. Things that cost 40% of the price work much, much better. I think the pair of Sonos One’s will have to go back as the support just isn’t good enough, as I have other issues which you haven’t even attempted to fix and are generally giving the customers the run around.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hmm I have noticed the same. The One Gen 1 in the other room sometimes responds while I stand next to the Gen 2

Agree totally with this my first Sonos ( one gen2). The Alexa functionality is poor and the mic is bordering on useless. It does not hear quite often the Alexa dot the other end of the house responds when I’m next to the Sonos. Other time it mid- hears. 

the system needs something to tweak the effectiveness 

Hi, did anyone find a resolution for this issue. I’m havine the same issue with a recently purchased Sonos one. Not sure if I need to return it and if a replacement will fix the issue?

Thanks

Matt

Hello

I have bought a Sonos Move recently and I am struggling to be herad by the device.

This morning, I was alone in my room, the speaker was at 3 meters distance, no background noise or music, and I had to scream Hey Google 3 times for the speaker to wake up.

It is kind of infuriating, as reviews say the speaker can hear you even when there is ambiant noise, but not for me obviously. I always have to get very close to the speaker (typicall less than a meter) to be heard. Can’t we just have an option to set the microphones sensitivity? It’s very tedious to speak so loudly (and like an idiot) to a...machine.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shephmat. Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for letting us know about your concern on your Sonos One. I understand that the voice service doesn't pick up the voice command. I'd like to ask some questions with regard to what you're experiencing and to completely understand the situation.

1. What voice service are you using to your Sonos One?
  2. Was it working before?
  3. Are you experiencing the problem while playing music or even there’s no music playing?

To further assist you on this, kindly submit a diagnostic to check on your system.

Please feel free to reach back to us.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @rodilardius. Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching us about your concern on Google Assistant on your Sonos Move not responding from your voice command. Thank you for sharing your experience and I appreciate you providing us the details.
I'd like to ask some questions to understand what's going on.

1. Did the issue happen when you first added Google Assistant on the Sonos Move?
  2. Do you experience the same situation when you tried other voice services like Alexa?

Please submit a diagnostic to get a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue.

Please feel free to reach back to us.

Hi Rowena, thanks

I’m using Google Assistant, not Alexa, but I have the same exact problem mentioned here in this thread.

I’m also using GA on my phone with no problem: if I put phone and Move side by side and I say Hey Google, the phone turns on, the Move not always, especially if I’m farther away.

I don’t use Alexa however.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @rodilardius

Thank you for reaching out. I understand that the issue is with Google Assistance on Sonos Move. I have got a few questions and will give some suggestions on some troubleshooting steps that you can follow.

1. Have you tried to sign out from your Google accounts from your browser on your device controller?
  2. Kindly provide the make and model of the controller device you're using Google Assistant on the Sonos App.

Please refer to this article Help and tips for Google Assistant on Sonos to follow some troubleshooting steps to help you get the best results when using the Google Assistant on Sonos.

Also, I’d appreciate it if you can submit a diagnostic to check your system to help you identify what is causing the issue.

Hello

For your first question, I do not think so. I am always connected to my account. I may have had to disconnect and reconnect once when I set up the Sonos device but that's it. 

As for your second question I'm not sure what do you mean. I'm using a sonos move on my WiFi network and my phone is a pixel 4 xl on android 11.

Last example today in my kitchen, 1m from the speaker. 

Me: Hey Google, timer 3 minutes

Speaker: ... 

Me: HEY GOOGLE TIMER 3 MINUTES 

Speaker: OK let's go... 

(timer beeps) 

Me: Stop. 

Speaker: Beep. 

Me: STOP. 

Speaker: beep. 

Me, screaming: STAHHHHHHPPP! 

(Timer ends)

I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Like there is a conflict between my phone and the speaker (the command never starts on my phone so I don't think so)