Sonos Era 100 with Alexa enabled not showing up as Echo device (for grouping)

Badge

Hi, previously when I added Sonos devices that have Alexa, they both show up as speakers but also can be selected in a group (room) to be the primary or one of several echos in the room that can then control certain functions (like when saying “Alexa, turn on lights” it can be limited to just turning on lights in that room.

However, yesterday added a pair of Era 100 speakers, enabled Alex, and it is added and has Alexa enabled, but when I go to the app to add the Sonos speakers, I can add them as the speakers to a group for control, but neither speaker shows up specifically as an Echo device I can add to the group.

Anyone else experience this, and how you remedied?  I tried taking Alex off and re-enabling, hoping this would fix things, but it is not.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are the 100’s added as Surrounds to a Home Cinema setup?

Same problem discussed in this thread.

No solution yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sunil_3 

At the moment Era speakers aren’t supported yet as Alexa devices for groups. I can remember that this was the same as Roam was released. I’m not sure if it’s on Amazons or on Sonos side to integrate this, but i can imagine that Amazon is running tests with all non Echo devices before they will give their ok for this feature. Let’s hope the best that it won’t take much time… 

Badge

That is interesting.  I hadn’t thought that it wouldn’t be.  Thanks, now it makes sense!  Though a little annoying oh well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having the exact same issues. Joining in this thread to raise awareness, and also to hopefully hear when a solution has been found.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Sunil_3

At the moment Era speakers aren’t supported yet as Alexa devices for groups. I can remember that this was the same as Roam was released. I’m not sure if it’s on Amazons or on Sonos side to integrate this, but i can imagine that Amazon is running tests with all non Echo devices before they will give their ok for this feature. Let’s hope the best that it won’t take much time… 

@Sunil_3 can I ask where you heard / was told this piece of information. Want to clarify this has come from some sort of officially channel (Sonos or Amazon), or is it a hunch based on what the community thinks? Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Sunil_3

@Sunil_3 can I ask where you heard / was told this piece of information. Want to clarify this has come from some sort of officially channel (Sonos or Amazon), or is it a hunch based on what the community thinks? Thanks.

Apologies, meant to tag you @Schlumpf. Cheers!

Badge

It is pretty clear it is an Alexa issue.  Sounds like this has happened in the past with new devices.  Though I can’t understand why Amazon wouldn’t have this fixed more generically as new Alexa based devices are introduced.  Seems pretty silly to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RichTea

Hi.. i‘m just sometimes here on EN community as a visitor. 😉 My daily playground is the DE community. And there a user from Austria told that at this region Era speakers can be set up as Alexa devices in Alexa groups. 
And Nils S. from Sonos community team confirmed that Sonos is asking Amazon to do the same for other regions. 
https://de.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-und-sonos-223393/era-alexa-gruppe-hinzufuegen-6755294?postid=16126894#post16126894

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Sunil_3 @Schlumpf thanks for both your replies.

Looks like things are happening in the background, let’s hope it gets resolved soon!

Hi, I was struggling for several days, until I found this thread... It still doesn't work in France.

Given it was a replacement for a Sonos One Gen2, I'm losing more features than I'm getting. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@RichTea

Hi.. i‘m just sometimes here on EN community as a visitor. 😉 My daily playground is the DE community. And there a user from Austria told that at this region Era speakers can be set up as Alexa devices in Alexa groups. 
And Nils S. from Sonos community team confirmed that Sonos is asking Amazon to do the same for other regions. 
https://de.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-und-sonos-223393/era-alexa-gruppe-hinzufuegen-6755294?postid=16126894#post16126894

It doesn’t work also in Italy with an Era 100. I live just 100 km away from Austria, but no luck 😅

Bumping this thread for visability. Would it help for us to reach out to Alexa support as well?

Yes, since the change needs to be made by Amazon, and not Sonos. 

Having the same issue in the US. 

Same issue here. Sonos needs to post an update telling us they are working with Amazon. My roam and move do show up as Alexa devices and can be added to rooms. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anyone reading this post should now join onto this one, and have a quick read: 

We have an official response from Sonos, basically confirming the issue. They have asked for diagnostics and screenshots (but have advised they don’t need anymore for now).

Not sure how, but would be great to lock these other posts detailing the same issue, and have them all link to that main one.