Answered

Sonos Beam - Alexa will turn the TV on but not off

• 22 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi,
As described in my title using my Beam Alexa will turn my TV on but if I ask her to turn the TV off she says 'OK' but the TV stays on.

Commands I'm using are:
"Alexa, turn the TV on" - this works
"Alexa, turn the TV off" - does not work
"Alexa, turn the living room TV off" - does not work

The attached image shows how the TV is connected in my Alexa app.

My TV is a Samsung UE50NU7400

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 May 2019, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

With Samsung TVs, the TVs were programmed to ignore turn off requests through CEC commands (which is what the Beam is using) unless it's coming from the input the TV is currently set to. So if your Beam is connected to HDMI 1, you would need to be on HDMI 1 for Samsung to accept the command. They are developers felt that this is the way it should behave.

Unfortunately, that's not very useful if you're using a Beam. Grabbing the remote to switch inputs and then giving a voice command is more steps than just grabbing the remote and hitting the power button.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm stuck! Would have been nice to have but not essential.

Thanks again.
OK, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm stuck! Would have been nice to have but not essential.

Thanks again.

It's worth noting that CEC control through HDMI is not limited to the HDMI-ARC connection. Many device you connect to your TV can also turn on/off the TV automatically. For example, I have an xbox one that will turn on/off the TV when the xbox is turned on/off (when on that correct input). Other devices, like fireTV sticks, will only turn the TV on when it's turned on/awakened.

You can also get voice control to turn on/off with devices that use IR controls, such as the firetv cube or logitech harmony.