Question

Sonos/Amazon Alexa - Just Let Me Know When It's In Prime Time !!

• 16 December 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Sonos/Amazon Alexa - Please let those of us that have Mulitiple Sonos Speakers in house when your APP and Alexa intergration is ready for prime time. My Setup - Play 5, PlayBase, Sonos One, 3 Sonos Play-1's, 2 setup as a stero pair. I'm Tired of trying to get my Sonos One to understand commands for other speakers in my house, Setting up Smart Home, adding devices, configuring and configuring things, All to hear Alexa say basically "I can't do that" I am a DIE HARD Sonos fan, as you can tell by my setup, but the Alexa Intergration with other SONOS speakers in a home is no where it needs to be. While your at it, you can Work with DEEZER, so goof ball Alexa can understand my commands to play Deezer through my speakers. Though I'd like this Alexa Sonos-One, Right now, it might just get re-wrapped and give to someone on my Christmas list.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Its unfortunate. I have two Ones in the bedroom as a stereo pair, and a 5 + an Echo dot in the LR. The Echo definitely works better than the native Alexa in the Ones. I hope they can improve this, fast. Even with that, however, the Echo still has issues with search accuracy. Especially searching the internet. I wonder if Google home would be better overall.
Yep. I'm returning the two Play One's I bought as surrounds in my 5.1 setup. Going back to Play 1's because they work perfectly without Alexa. Simple conversation alerts Alexa at least 1 or 2 times every 5 minutes with the Play One's because they think we're saying "Alexa" when we're not. The Echo Dot I had previously doesn't even do that...ever. What's up with that SONOS????? Let me know when you get it figured out. IMO, the Play One was a very premature release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos/Amazon Alexa - Please let those of us that have Mulitiple Sonos Speakers in house when your APP and Alexa intergration is ready for prime time. My Setup - Play 5, PlayBase, Sonos One, 3 Sonos Play-1's, 2 setup as a stero pair. I'm Tired of trying to get my Sonos One to understand commands for other speakers in my house, Setting up Smart Home, adding devices, configuring and configuring things, All to hear Alexa say basically "I can't do that" I am a DIE HARD Sonos fan, as you can tell by my setup, but the Alexa Intergration with other SONOS speakers in a home is no where it needs to be. While your at it, you can Work with DEEZER, so goof ball Alexa can understand my commands to play Deezer through my speakers. Though I'd like this Alexa Sonos-One, Right now, it might just get re-wrapped and give to someone on my Christmas list.

Hi

The two most common reasons for this are:

1/ Omitting the room name from the command; e.g. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos'
2/ Duplicate names listed in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices. I personally use the naming convention of Room Name + Device Type e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc (Note: If you change the names within the Sonos App, log on to the Alexa App on a PC https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com and select>Smart Home>Devices then scroll to the bottom of the list and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover' - WARNING - If you have set-up Routines within the Alexa App, this action will delete all Actions from all Routines!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep. I'm returning the two Play One's I bought as surrounds in my 5.1 setup. Going back to Play 1's because they work perfectly without Alexa. Simple conversation alerts Alexa at least 1 or 2 times every 5 minutes with the Play One's because they think we're saying "Alexa" when we're not. The Echo Dot I had previously doesn't even do that...ever. What's up with that SONOS????? Let me know when you get it figured out. IMO, the Play One was a very premature release.

Why bother returning them, just Mute the mic on the top of the Sonos One?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, I've enabled the Sonos Skill, I've used my Alexa App to create groups in my home. Sonos ALL SPEAKERS, Sonos Kitchen (This is the Alexa Play One). Sonos Play 5, Sonos Playbase, which includes the Playbase and two play ones as a Stero Pair. All the Devices are listed in my Alexa Amazon App(Smart Home). Now if anyone can tell me how to make Alexa do anything with any type of commands let me know, so far I've re-discovered them, Can't get Alexa to understand one darn thing about my other SONOS Speakers. The Sonos Smart Home skill is Enabled in my Amazon Alexa. Now can I actually talk to Alexa in the Kitchen to do anything with the groups of speakers in my home.... So far, I can only group my speakers in the Sonos app, and I'm really getting a little frustrated here with what I feel should now work and not be so Darn complicated. Maybe the Intergration just isn't there yet, I do't know..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
OK, I've enabled the Sonos Skill, I've used my Alexa App to create groups in my home. Sonos ALL SPEAKERS, Sonos Kitchen (This is the Alexa Play One). Sonos Play 5, Sonos Playbase, which includes the Playbase and two play ones as a Stero Pair. All the Devices are listed in my Alexa Amazon App(Smart Home). Now if anyone can tell me how to make Alexa do anything with any type of commands let me know, so far I've re-discovered them, Can't get Alexa to understand one darn thing about my other SONOS Speakers. The Sonos Smart Home skill is Enabled in my Amazon Alexa. Now can I actually talk to Alexa in the Kitchen to do anything with the groups of speakers in my home.... So far, I can only group my speakers in the Sonos app, and I'm really getting a little frustrated here with what I feel should now work and not be so Darn complicated. Maybe the Intergration just isn't there yet, I do't know..

Amazon doesn't currently support 3rd party speakers within Alexa Groups, you need to use the Sonos App to group players and then ask Alexa to output to any speaker within that group. Sonos are investigating the grouping of Sonos players by Voice Control but there is no date as yet.

Edit: To clarify, if you want to control music across multiple rooms, you need to group them in the Sonos App and then if you ask Alexa to output to any room in that group, audio will play throughout that group. e.g Group Kitchen, Living Room and Bedroom and then ask 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Bedroom' or if the triggered Alexa device is a Sonos One and that Player is contained within the Sonos group just ask 'Alexa, Play soft jazz'
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks for the Reply UKMedia !!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
[quote=UKMedia]Why bother returning them, just Mute the mic on the top of the Sonos One?Because a Play 1 is cheaper than a Sonos One?
Why bother returning them, just Mute the mic on the top of the Sonos One?

Because I didn't need to spend $400 when I could do the same thing with my existing Play 1's. I had already moved the Play 1's to other rooms, but they weren't really needed in those rooms, so moving them back as my surrounds isn't going to be a problem. If Sonos/Alexa get it figured out so that the Play One's don't alert Alexa while having a conversation or talking and watching TV, then I'll maybe re-invest. For now, I'll just use an Echo Dot and live with the small hassle of having to say "Living Room" after what music I want to play.