Answered

Sonos Alexa setup.

• 24 September 2020
  • 10 replies

I have a Sonos One and I am getting Alexa to talk to me but when it comes time to paying something from an App or from Spotify it says device is online.   I have disabled all the relevant skills and reenabled them but nothing plays.  Alexa talks to me and is responsive, tells me all about the app and the cost etc  but then nothing actually plays and she says device is offline.   I see it online when i play music from my Spotify app.  Its just not working with Alexa. Help please 

icon

Best answer by Simon B 25 September 2020, 00:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @La Quinta Lo Tech Girl, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about what’s happening on your Alexa on your Sonos system. 

I would like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided. Here is the complete guide on how to perform the steps below.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which are and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Keep me in the know with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Thank you Simon B.   Do i need to log out of Amazon on all my devices, TVs etc?   That would be quite an undertaking.  Or perhaps just my main computer?

OMG Simon it works!   Whew I did that without having to log out of all TVs etc.  Just on my iphone.  THANK YOU for taking the time to help me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @La Quinta Lo Tech Girl , thanks for the quick update. I’m glad it worked for the troubleshooting steps I gave. 

If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

I was able to get my Sonos One to work after doing the above steps using the Sonos app on my phone. However the Echo display will not control the music or speakers in my Sonos system. Do I need to follow the above steps on my wife’s phone also or do something to the Echo?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dbl3, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with setting up your Alexa with Sonos. I also want to ask if the account that was logged in on the Amazon and the Alexa are the same accounts that were used in adding Alexa on Sonos, because it may cause issues in syncing if there are different accounts that are logged in on it. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

I don’t think so. The Echo Display is under the wife’s Amazon account, Sonos is mine. I’m the music freak not her :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @dbl3, thanks for the update. In that case, try to follow the steps above on your wife’s phone, and let’s check if that will work. If not, then we’ll take this issue further. 

Keep me in the know with the advice above. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Sorry if I am missing something but why / how would the display on an Echo device be able to control Sonos speakers?

John B. I’m referring to being able to control Sonos with my Echo with Alexa.