Sonos - Alexa - Logitech POP - Harmony Elite

• 26 March 2018
  • 5 replies

I've set up a POP button to run a Harmony Activity which has Sonos play my MP3 tracks on my laptop as a queue with shuffle. The POP starts / stops or Skips forward or Backwards. This seems like an incredibly complicated way to do it but I cannot find any other easier way. I don't want to use the Sonos App since pressing a POP button is far easier than using a phone or tablet.

The problem comes if the power is cut, you have to not only reboot everything but then get Sonos and Logitech to find each other.

Is there an easier way of doing this?
Also any way of getting the Sonos to also play through the Echo Spot speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

For your first question, I think you'll get a better answer from a Logitech support forum. Sonos provides APIs for other software to use. Your comment that Logitech and SONOS isn't correct as Sonos doesn't find Logitech. It has no control over Logitech. Logitech needs to find Sonos. There are users of Logitech here who may have experience with the bootup process and how it reconnects with other devices, but again, probably not as many as on the Logitech forums.

On your second question, you cannot stream Sonos on Echo Spot speakers. That feature is not supported, and is unlikely to be supported in the future, IMO.
Thanks melvimbe.

Is there any way to use Alexa to get Sonos play your own mp3 (not a streaming music playlist) collection?

I am trying to avoid having to use the Sonos app which means finding the phone or tablet etc.

I am also trying to avoid having a monthly music subscription since its a waste of money as I have loads of mp3

Thanks
Yes, sort of. Many smart hubs allow you to create routines in which you play a specific sonos favorite (which can include a locally stored mp3) in a specific zone. Usually the routine is named and then can be called from Alexa. I'd surprised if this can't be done with your Logitech harmony setup.

To give an example, I have a Lutron hub that is linked to my sonos system (and most of my lights). I set up a routine to play the song "One Vision" by Queen in 3 different zones and called it One Vision. After telling Alexa to find new devices, the One Vision shows up as a smart device in Alexa. I can then say, "Alexa, turn on One Vision" and the music will start. In my case the song is from Amazon music, but the source shouldn't matter because Alexa doesn't know what the routine is, that's what the smart hub is doing.
Thanks I will try that on my harmony hub. It all reminds me of Fortran programming where you worked it out, compiled, ran, didnt work, so tried again.
Yes it is. You basically have to program it, and although it's relatively simple, it does take a little learning to get it. The good news is that once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do some other routines that are useful. The One Vision routine I mentioned earlier also turns off all the lights, and turns on some led lights to set the mood. I have another one that I used to turn on music and lights every morning. I could have music automatically turn on when I arrive home if I wanted. Because you have Logitech, I bet you could have the tv turn off when you request to play music, that sort of thing.