Answered

Sonos Alexa Integration India

• 2 November 2017
  • 80 replies

I am form Mumbai, India. I have been using Sonos with Alexa integration till yesterday, until Amazon launched Alexa services in India. To get the local skills I had my Amazon marketplace for Alexa changed from UK to India and since then my Sonos skill for Alexa vanished.
I am unable to search Sonos skill on Alexa Skills page. On contacting Amazon, they replied that Sonos hasn't released the skill for India 😞.
Any clue how can I enable the Sonos skill for Alexa whilst having the location India.

Regards,
Shanty
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 11 November 2017, 01:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

80 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan: One month since Alexa/Echo were launched in India and no signs of Sonos Skills. Will it be sooner than the early 2018 promised for the later in the queue Canada? Will it be later? Only her hairdresser knows for sure...

As VijayS guessed, I did have a few days off. We don't have a public timeline to share regarding Alexa support for Sonos in India right now. As soon as one can be made available, I'll let you know.

Welcome back Ryan!
Not having Alexa for few more weeks not much of a problem. My real frustration is ,
1. No specific project plan that can be communicated to customer with a tentative timeline.
2. Being in technology and in the era of TAKT and Sprint something that is not able to deliver after a Month of availability.
3. Enabling something in a country that have least risk, lack of courage from Product, development and program team.
4. Lack of willingness to take low to moderate Risk where impact almost insignificant.
5. Almost NIL development effort as options has to just enable in Cloud as feature is already LIVE in the cloud.

This boil down to a weak management who is not willing to take even a low risk. Another similar example is Room correction via iPhone 8 microphone, still not available even when there is slight difference in implementation of API in SDK.
For anyone that wants to have a preview, here is how to get one.

On Amazon India, change your country to US via "Manage Contents and Devices". I then launched the Alexa App via my computer and after some time, in response to the above change, it opened via amazon.com with Sonos skills included.
Once that is opened, follow the instructions on this site to get them enabled. Then change back to country India, to get back all local access for shopping including content for Alexa. The Skills still remain in the app, as do discovered Sonos speakers.

But, the preview leaves a bad taste in the mouth. For one, there is no Amazon Prime content accessible, although available in India because it isn't enabled in Sonos under Music Services. I can play it, but only via Echo in standalone mode.

Then there is this disappointment: I just discovered this issue though I suspect it has been raised here but I haven't delved into till now. When skills are enabled and Sonos speakers are linked to Alexa, ALL of those playing duck and drop volume when the wake word is uttered even for a command that does not expect a response from Sonos. So if a standalone Echo in one room hears a wake word, a Sonos speaker playing in another room also drops its volume. Very distracting for that room.

Finally, because of inefficient server to server comms, there is too much of a lag between the voice command and music coming out of Sonos speakers.

For now, I have disabled the Skills and delinked Sonos because there is no benefit at this time. It took me all of 60 minutes to decide this and do so.

I think now that it will take all of 2018 for this voice thing to be more than the gimmick it is just now for music play via Sonos, with as many cons as pros to it that detract from the experience. Even for users in the US/UK/Germany oyster.
Seeing how clunky this is, and comparing to how slick is the way that Google Play Music casts to Sonos in India as well, leads me to think that when Google Assistant is rolled out, it will be a much better user experience.

I am quite satisfied with how the Echo works for music play in standalone mode - but the way it works with Sonos once skills are enabled, is decidedly a turn off. In fact, I suspect that the wired to a Connect line in jack Dot offers a better user experience.
Guys, maybe exist some approach to change location? I'm ready to do it try Alexa with Sonos.
Kumar, nice one on the location hack. However, it still doesn't make sense for an App not to be released in a particular location, because it would only give Sonos more usage data to further refine their skill

Ryan, it's incredibly myopic the way the Sonos dev team works. Reeks of geographical racism when you have paying customers in the world's second largest internet market and your bunch of rust belt developers are sitting around not doing enough.
What's the logic in not turning on a skill in a particular geography? Voice commands use the Alexa API, Sonos only provides the interface to talk to the speakers, so technically, this isn't really a big development. It definitely doesn't need 3 pages of requests for someone to turn, literally, a feature "ON". There is no additional development work required.

Hate how you treat paying customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi sameerpit, I appreciate the sentiment, but not the language. I've edited your posts so they're appropriate for the community. Please refrain from using inappropriate language here.

There is a lot more work that goes into getting a skill working in a region than simply flipping a switch or changing a few lines of code. There is a very dedicated team working to bring Alexa support for Sonos to as many countries as possible, as quickly as we can. As soon as there's more to share for India, I'll make sure to let you all know. We know how dedicated and interested you all are and would love to bring you good news.
After having played around with the Skills via a hack, I have lost interest in them. Voice control via Sonos Skills with the ducking issues and some others I came across is just a gimmick I can comfortably live without at this time. And there is no access to Amazon Prime as there is now with a standalone India configured Amazon Echo that my wife uses every day in the kitchen now, so all the hoopla for just volume control for Sonos isn't much point either. Once the novelty of the skills wears off, there is little left to use via them.

And I am able to get better results via a Dot + Connect Amp in one zone, that can be triggered to start Amazon Prime via commands either to the Dot or to any other Echo device in the house and that is more than enough voice fun for me at this stage.

IMO, this whole voice thing is overhyped prematurely and will take all of 2018 to become more of a useful feature and less of a gimmick, so I am not going to blow energy/time on reminding Sonos about India integration anymore. I suspect that getting voice control in India via Google Assistant on a Mini + GPM may even come before Alexa Skills for Sonos here, but only time will tell.

And I am able to get better results via a Dot + Connect Amp in one zone, that can be triggered to start Amazon Prime via commands either to the Dot or to any other Echo device in the house and that is more than enough voice fun for me at this stage.

Can you elaborate how you did this?
Use the Alexa India app to make a group of the relevant Amazon devices, including the Dot that is wire connected to the line in jacks on the Connect Amp. Name the Dot as Sonos. Voice command any other Amazon device in the group to "play so and so music on Sonos", and only the Dot will play the music and it will be heard via the Connect Amp's wired Speakers. If you do not say Sonos at the end of the command but just say " play so and so music" , the Amazon device spoken to will play and not the Dot named Sonos. You could name the Dot by any name, naming it as Sonos made sense to me.

You can also directly voice command the Dot to play music without the Sonos suffix for the same result. But the performance of mics on Echo/Dots that are located away from the music playing speakers is a lot better and do not need shouted commands, being far enough away from the music playing Dot + Connect Amp.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I don't think even after my 1-Year prime subscription expire this company is capable of releasing Alexa skill in India. Had I been know this incompetency earlier I wouldn't have wasted money on this useless box. Changing location worked but it wont activate prime music.
If anyone interested I am ready to sell this dumb box for 20% discount than keeping it at home. Also there is a thought of burying it and posting video on Youtube 🙂
Are we there yet? I returned the Alexa device because of you guys.

What is it about integration with other devices that your engineers dont get?? You could not even enable airplay!! If you continue this way the writing is on the wall for all your customers to see. Pity you still dont know how to read.
Userlevel 2
Badge
As you mentioned they are not able to see the writing on the wall.
They must be looking for an opportunity to be an acquisition target as they were not able to cope up with faster technology changes. In this way this company wont function as an independent company more than a year or two.

Are we there yet? I returned the Alexa device because of you guys.

What is it about integration with other devices that your engineers dont get?? You could not even enable airplay!! If you continue this way the writing is on the wall for all your customers to see. Pity you still dont know how to read.
Alexa in India now supports Saavn through Sonos One. However, there is no option to set the Language as English India in order to make the Indian skills usable.
Now Alexa has been released for Sonos even in Canada. Don't know when will we get the privilege. I keep installing update after update just with the hope that Voice Services would start someday.. 😞
Saavn doesn't work with country as US and Sonos doesn't work when I change the country to India. I use Alexa to control Sonos and I use Saavan as music streaming service. How can I get Amazon Echo Dot to work with Sonos and Saavn both?
I'm now able to use Amazon Music in India - thank God for small mercies.
I brought a Sonos One from the US for use in India. Shall I return it....I understand from this thread that the product doesn't work in India and there is no plans to support it in 2018.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I brought a Sonos One from the US for use in India. Shall I return it....I understand from this thread that the product doesn't work in India and there is no plans to support it in 2018.

If there is possibility of returning, do it. No point of holding it where there is no communication from Sonos on Alexa support in India.
I bought mine for 200 USD and still consider it a good purchase. It works with Amazon music and controls smart home stuff. The problem lies with Indian skills and support for anything else that is India specific. Sonos is pretty horrific when it comes to supporting India though. The speaker as always sounds fantastic.
When you say it works with Amazon music, do you mean alexa to play songs from Amazon music. I'm able to get alexa work with smart controls etc. can't get it to play music. If you're able to do that, would be great if you could share how
You need to open the Sonos app and go through the Alexa setup again, and this time Amazon Music will show as a default music source when it transfers you to the Alexa app, select Amazon music and then head back to the Sonos app - you should be good to go. You can now ask Alexa to play stuff from Amazon music.
Badge
Same issue. Hoping Sonos will provide Alexa Integration soon
Userlevel 1
Hi, I've created a single thread to discuss solutions for using Sonos in India. I've got mine working fine with Alexa and music services like Spotify not available in India

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-in-india-a-comprehensive-guide-6809403/index1.html#post16247946

Hope this helps people here!
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi sameerpit, I appreciate the sentiment, but not the language. I've edited your posts so they're appropriate for the community. Please refrain from using inappropriate language here.

There is a lot more work that goes into getting a skill working in a region than simply flipping a switch or changing a few lines of code. There is a very dedicated team working to bring Alexa support for Sonos to as many countries as possible, as quickly as we can. As soon as there's more to share for India, I'll make sure to let you all know. We know how dedicated and interested you all are and would love to bring you good news.

waiting...waiting & still waiting...................................................... !
Hoping at least integration of Amazon prime music will be released soon not though Alexa in India.