Answered

should Alexa respond to both speakers?

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 19 replies

I have two microphone-enabled sonos-one speakers in my sonos system. Instructions to Alexa work through only one of the two speakers. The microphone lamp is glowing on both speakers. How do I troubleshoot and fix this please?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 21 June 2021, 07:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Generally, Alexa will answer through the nearest speaker. If the speakers are stereo paired, both will play the program.

Badge +3

Thank you, but should Alexa listen through both speakers? Both speakers show as online in the Alexa settings but only one of them responds to voice instructions....

Only one will answer. You could test things by disabling one microphone. If you have multiple units listening and the units are relatively close together, the wrong Room might accept the command. For stereo pairs, you can disable the microphones that are closest to the “other” room.

Badge +3

But should they both listen?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

But should they both listen?

Not if they are Surrounds. 

Badge +3

I’m not sure what you mean. Mine are both Sonos-One. Should they both listen?  …. Greg

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m not sure what you mean. Mine are both Sonos-One. Should they both listen?  …. Greg

Do you have them in a home theatre setup?

Badge +3

Yes I do. TIA...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So they are performing Surrounds duty. In this configuration only the Right surround speaker is Alexa-enabled.
If I remember correctly from these forums, there were occurrences where both speakers picked up a command but then answered slightly out of sync, or both would increase the volume. Sonos’s solution was to disable voice control to the left surround. 

Moderation edit:
With the release of 14.8 Voice Service Behavior for Home Theater Setups has changed:

• When a home theater room has Sonos Voice Control or Amazon Alexa registered to rear surround speakers, the microphones on those/both surrounds will remain enabled.

• The microphone on the voice-enabled home theater product will remain enabled and will respond to voice commands.

• If Sonos Voice is setup on a speaker that's then added as a surround, SVC will remain on that surround speaker.

Badge +3

Excellent, that is what I need to know, thank you! …. Greg