Question

setting up Location (postcode etc.) on Alexa app

• 14 December 2017
  • 25 replies

Badge
Every time I go into settings in Alexa app and do the drop downs for location, address and postcode etc.. it lets me do it, I press save and then it reverts back to being empty as If I didn't put them in. Its a small issue but driving me mad! I ask Alexa say for the weather and she tells me to put in this info on the app, but it just wont save the details. ???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Try using the PC version https://alexa.amazon.co.uk this can sometimes sort this issue.
Badge
hi, just tried that and the same thing is happening. I am now on a PC not my IPhone. I have signed in and followed the instructions. I may not be an expert but I also know things like this I am usually good at, so mega confused as to why I can not sort this out. Any other ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can I just check what device you are trying to set the location on?
Badge
The new Sonos play 1 with Alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The new Sonos play 1 with Alexa

Just for clarity the Alexa device is called a Sonos One, the Play 1 is without Alexa :)

So this is an Alexa issue. I had set-up the device location on my devices but as of today, this information is not displayed within the Alexa App, even if I update it again. However, the device appears to be aware of the location that I had previously set. I've logged this with Amazon tech support and they are investigating.

Can you ask your Sonos One 'Alexa, what's today's weather?' and see if it gives you the weather for the location that you've tried to set-up.
Badge
Thanks for that. Nope, the weather question says what location do you want weather for. It tells me to log my location in settings which is what I can’t do
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for that. Nope, the weather question says what location do you want weather for. It tells me to log my location in settings which is what I can’t do

I think that you'll need to wait until Amazon have it fixed then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, We were just talking about this over here. It looks like there are some issues showing up in the Alexa app, not specific to the Sonos One. It'd be good to reach out to their support if you haven't yet.
Badge
How? Do you have a number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Go to the Amazon web site and contact us and then ask to be transferred to Tech Support
Badge
Ok will have a go tomorrow! Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Amazon look as though they have fixed this now, can you test again?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Works for me now. -:)
Badge
Yes it’s worked! Many thanks! Just got to sort a few other things now . Appreciate your time.
Userlevel 1
I am brand new to this product in Canada and I am having the exact same problem. How did you fix this?
Userlevel 1
This product is so new that Amazon doesn't even know who I should talk to for help with the things that aren't working. After 17 minutes on hold, he still doesn't know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am brand new to this product in Canada and I am having the exact same problem. How did you fix this?

Hi did you try the PC version of the Alexa app as per my earlier post: https://alexa.amazon.com
Userlevel 1
I was able to fix this particular problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was able to fix this particular problem.

Can you confirm how please?
Userlevel 1
Under devices, the Sonos One speaker is listed twice. Once as the name I gave the speaker, another time as "Sonos One Device." I had been trying to change the settings for the device with the speaker name and didn't notice there was another entry.
Hi, Well it seems that I'm having the same problem. I'm on a Mac though. I'm just trying to set the location of the Sonos One that I've just purchased. All is fine until the error message says that it won't save. Is there a fix for the mac?
Hi, Well it seems that I'm having the same problem. I'm on a Mac though. I'm just trying to set the location of the Sonos One that I've just purchased. All is fine until the error message says that it won't save. Is there a fix for the mac?

Yes, same for me - just purchased and set up the Sonos One this evening and getting the same errors you describe above.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Under devices, the Sonos One speaker is listed twice. Once as the name I gave the speaker, another time as "Sonos One Device." I had been trying to change the settings for the device with the speaker name and didn't notice there was another entry.

This has been bugging me for weeks, raised as an issue on the Alexa forum to no avail, just looked at my setting again on the Alexa app and can see that both of my Sonos One speakers are listed twice as you said (why would they do this?!!), I've now managed to update the address so I can actually get localised weather reports when I'm in the shower! Thank you!

This has been bugging me for weeks, raised as an issue on the Alexa forum to no avail, just looked at my setting again on the Alexa app and can see that both of my Sonos One speakers are listed twice as you said (why would they do this?!!), I've now managed to update the address so I can actually get localised weather reports when I'm in the shower! Thank you!

Because a Sonos One is actually two devices in one: A 3rd party Sonos speaker, and an Alexa enabled device. That is why the Alexa app has two entries.
The trick to make the Alexa App accept input is to press and momentarily hold the finger on the text field you want to enter data into. A grey box will then show followed by a prompt with the keyboard showing.