Answered

Room names keep reverting to old locations

• 10 August 2018
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
After an initial successful setup with two Sonos Ones, I have recently expanded my Sonos setup using a Beam and two Play:1. This has led to me moving the Ones to other rooms.

I’ve renamed them, and re-tuned.

Frequently, going into the app, they’ve reverted to their old ‘room names’.

I can re-name them back again, and checking on all my mobile devices this applies successfully.

Next day, the changes are undone again.

So far, tried asking Alexa to rediscover devices, and have deleted Apple Home app.

Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 16 August 2018, 22:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I am having the exact same issue. I hope there is a fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are the names reverting in the Sonos or Alexa App?

If you change the name within the Sonos App and then open the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices, you can 'Forget' the old Sonos device names and the then select Add Device or Discover depending upon which platform you run the Alexa App on.
Userlevel 2
I’m going round in circles renaming rooms in the Sonos App, then on the Alexa website.

Thought it had all settled down and ‘stuck’ correctly; until I opened the app on another iOS device (iPhone) which then unhelpfully overwrote both the iPad Sonos app AND the Alexa website again with the old room names. :((

Where is the ‘master’ information on the Sonos setup stored?
Sonos is the master, however, with the implementation of airplay 2, the iOS Home has the ability to update the speaker name to what it thinks it should be. I'm not an iPhone user, but other users have resolved this issue by updated the speaker name where it is stored in the iPhone Home feature/app. Unfortunately, I don't know enough tell you how to navigate there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Melvimbe suggested, you will want to go into your HomeKit and change the names of the Sonos players to the names they should have. The Alexa and Sonos apps show what the name of the player is set to, the HomeKit will show what it thinks Sonos should be called, and will regularly send commands to your players to match that name if they differ.
Badge
melvimbe and Ryan S are both right...I opened my Home app on my iPhone and saw that while I had changed the speaker room name in the Sonos app, I hadn't changed it in the Home app. Once I did that Sonos showed the correct room name. Apparently the Sonos app had been checking with the Home app and reverting to the room name listed there.
Badge
Having the exact same problem - and also noticed that the Home app has all the old speaker names.

Have removed all of my Sonos devices from Home for now. Hopefully everything calms down.
Why would this issue still occur with the speakers deleted from HomeKit, and still occur after removing the HomeKit app from the iOS device(s).

This is happening for me, and the answer selected I don’t think solves OP’s question.

Anyone else have ideas?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Any home automation set up?
Did you bring the names into line before deleting things? Maybe there is residual information held somewhere. That is speculative. However, virtually no information is held in the Sonos app - it just tells you what name it finds on the speaker.
@John B That’s a good thought. I did revert names, and the name I prefer appears correctly in the Airplay 2 list as it always has. This is another weird behavior where Airplay 2 speaker name has always been correct, but Sonos keeps reverting. Don’t know enough about HomeKit to understand this.

@Misfit - no speaker automation setup within HomeKit, although i do have an inactive automation with IFTTT

Will report back. Thanks guys!!! &#x;

After an initial successful setup with two Sonos Ones, I have recently expanded my Sonos setup using a Beam and two Play:1. This has led to me moving the Ones to other rooms.

I’ve renamed them, and re-tuned.

Frequently, going into the app, they’ve reverted to their old ‘room names’.

I can re-name them back again, and checking on all my mobile devices this applies successfully.

Next day, the changes are undone again.

So far, tried asking Alexa to rediscover devices, and have deleted Apple Home app.

Any ideas?

I have been looking for this for a year.  Fixed it in 20 seconds

I have the exact same problem but the solution provided does not work for me. I deleted the ‘home’ in homekit and tried everything to fix this issue. still no solution to the problem. I replaced my sonos one from ‘uitbouw’ to ‘office’ and put a new sonos move in ‘uitbouw’. the next day I have again two speakers in ‘uitbouw’….. grrrrr…

I deleted integration with google assistant and homekit but nothing seems to fix the problem form me!

Is it possible to debug?

Sonos is incapable of doing this by itself. It ALWAYS turns out to be something external.

And howto debug to see which integration causes this? 

And howto debug to see which integration causes this? 

You deleted the iOS Home on one device without first removing your registered Sonos devices by the looks of it. Is the Home installed on any older or other iOS devices you have registered to your AppleID in the past?.. if so, you need to tidy those up too. You might want to also try recreating the Home and adding back the devices as accessories and then rename them and see if that fixes the issue. HomeKit is a pain for doing this type of thing with lots of smart-home devices… particularly the older HomeKit App on older devices.

Deleted. Better advice from @Ken_Griffiths .