Question

Resuming music after executing a command (Echo Dot connected to Play 5)

• 1 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
If I am playing music using Pandora, then ask Alexa to add something to a Shopping List, the music stops but never resumes. I have to then ask Alexa to start music again. Seems like music should simply get quieter as I'm talking to Alexa, and then resume previous volume after command is executed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Is the Dot wired to the Play5 or are you using the Sonos Skill to link them?
Badge +1
Wired.
I don't have Pandora but I just tried playing from Amazon Music using a Dot wired to an S5 and it ducked (did not pause) the music while adding to my shopping list and then continued as expected. Maybe the way Amazon has implemented Pandora? Doesn't sound like the connection to Sonos is a factor here.
Badge +1
Strange. I just tried it with Amazon music and it stopped the same way it did with Pandora. Not sure what the issue is. All the software is up to date.
I would try the following:

Unplug the Dot from the Play5 and just work with the Dot for testing. (test to see if you still have the problem)

Try asking the time while playing from Amazon and see what happens. Same as shopping list?

Pull the power from the Dot for 5 minutes then try again.

Move the Dot to a different location. Someplace with strong Wi-Fi but well away from any other Wi-Fi device (especially Sonos players) and try again.

Hopefully this will distinguish between an environment problem vs. a version or configuration type of issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Some good suggestions from mike, but I'd just like to make sure we're all on the same page first. There are two possible ways you're using this setup, and I want to make sure:

1. Are you using the Sonos skill for Alexa to play those services on the Sonos player, and also using the Dot with the line-in connection to play Alexa's audio on your PLAY:5? If you're using the first route, the command you'd be using would be something like "Alexa, play _________ on Kitchen (Sonos room name)" when starting the music.

2. Are you using the Dot to play music through the line-in on the PLAY:5? For this, you'd be saying "Alexa, play __________."

If you're using option 1, the music would stop playing on your PLAY:5 and the audio source would switch to the line-in. Then, it wouldn't resume the music, because you switched the source on the PLAY:5 from the music started on it through Alexa, to the line-in source. The player would then be sitting there with the line-in selected, waiting for more audio to come through the line-in.

If you're using 2, the line-in would duck down on the PLAY:5 and you wouldn't hear Alexa's reply very well, then the audio would return to normal volume after her voice is finished. If the audio isn't returning at this point, I'd wonder if somehow the player was stuck in the ducking state. If that's the case, can you check the Sonos controller to see what it says the PLAY:5 should be doing? Then, submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number?
Good point. When I asked if The Dot was wired or using the Sonos skill I did not account for the possibility of both. I did not have the skill enabled for my test so maybe it was not a valid comparison in this situation.
Badge +1
You're right. I was confusing myself by the differences in these skills. But this leads to new questions:

What are the pros/cons to each method? (Or maybe your detailed response above are the only pros/cons)

If I just start using Method 2, is there a way to hear Alexa's voice louder without the music being unnecessarily loud?

I notice (and I posted this question elsewhere) that when I start music (from Pandora) using Alexa, the Pandora information isn't displayed in the controller or on the app... which means I'm not always 100% sure which station I'm on and more importantly, I can't thumbs up/down a song.

Thanks for all the help. Very much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The only way to get Alexa louder with method 2, at least right now (we're doing work on the ducking feature right now), is to disable the Sonos skill for Alexa.

I think a lot of it comes down to what features of Alexa you're looking to use, and which ones of Sonos.

For example, using option 2, the Sonos app will only show that the line-in is playing. There'd be no details about what is on. So if you wanted to control what's playing you'd need to be using the Alexa app, but also the Sonos app for grouping.

Using option 1, you'd see what was playing on Sonos, but if you had the line-in kick on, you'd have this issue. You could, of course, go with this option and disconnect the line in. You'd hear Alexa out of the Dot's speakers and the PLAY:5 would properly duck down in volume so you'd hear that. But, you'd also need to have the extra words on commands to target the room that you want to use.
If your going to go with method 2, you're essentially using your Play:5 as a 'dumb' speaker. By that I mean that you really can't control music from the Sonos app AND be the speaker for Alexa at the same time.

What probably happened in your original scenario is that you initiated a Pandora station from the Sonos app. Then, when you made a request to Alexa, your Play:5 auto switched to the line in (a configurable setting), stopping your Pandora music playback. The only way to have music resume with Pandora (or any source) is to initiate it with Alexa so that your Play:5 is constantly playing the line in source...essentially being all audio for your echo.

It's a little difficult to say what the pros and cons of this method is, because certain features are going to be more important to different people. It sounds like this isn't good for you, so I'd try method 1.

I personally think it's a bad idea to do method 1 (enable the sonos skill) AND method 2 (direct wired connection) as it doesn't give you the best of both worlds really, but does creating ducking issues like Ryan mentioned.
Badge +1
Okay, this is all starting to make more sense.

I guess then, really, I don't see a benefit of using the Line In feature at all if the only benefit is to keep me from having to say a couple extra words. Don't get me wrong... I'm pretty lazy. But even I am not that lazy. :P

Plus, if I don't use the line in feature, I can move the Dot to a more central location in the room.

I would be curious to know from those who prefer the line in feature as to why... assuming there are reasons that haven't already been mentioned.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now, Alexa is starting to be as fun as everyone says she is.