Resolving (the majority of) Issues with Alexa on Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This thread is intended to help get you going if you get stuck setting up Alexa with Sonos, or if you have run into any errors. The setup process does use two different apps, so don’t stress if you’re having trouble, we can help.

If you are reading this thread, you will now be aware that integrating the two platforms requires several authentication steps which require you to move between applications and interfaces, providing login details and authorising services along the way.
Simply put: It involves some moving back and forth, providing information as you go.

The issues this post may help you resolve include but are not limited to:
- "Your Spotify account does not support streaming on this device."
- Radio stations not playing when you ask them to.
- Asking for something to play- whether this is acknowledged or not- only to be met with silence.

It is worth noting, however, that several of your desired functions may simply not be available on Alexa via Sonos just yet. We have articles that describe exactly what services to expect at this time.
Visit this link for the UK or this one for the US.

Is your desired functionality available? Then let's move on to fixing your issue.

If you get to a point where you're not able to complete a step, just skip to the next section.

1. In the Alexa app, go to the Sonos skill, go to Settings > Manage Smart Home Devices > Tap 'Forget All'.
Note: The step to 'Forget All' will delete all actions in all Routines within an Alexa set-up.

2. Go to Alexa's UK site or Alexa's US site (again, depending on your region).
Please do this in a web browser on a computer (PC or Mac).
It's also best to do this using private browsing or incognito mode to avoid using cached information.

Go to Settings. Click on your Sonos One in the list of devices. It will probably be listed both as '(your name)'s Sonos One' and whatever room name you gave it in Sonos. It's the '(your name)'s Sonos One we're looking for. On this page, click on 'deregister' and confirm that.

If on this page you do not see your Sonos One already set up, then it's probably linked to a different account somehow. In this case you can skip the rest of the troubleshooting. Just add the Sonos skill on this website, then follow the prompts.

3. Make sure you know your Amazon account password, and then log out of your Amazon account everywhere. Log out of the Alexa app, log out on your web browser, log out on the shopping app, the music app.

4. Delete all your Amazon apps, including the Alexa app, and then just install the Alexa app.

5. Add the Sonos One back to the system in the Sonos app, via Settings -> Add a Player or SUB. Follow the prompts to set up voice services which will require you log in to your Sonos account, and then your Amazon account, to link them together. You'll also need to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app at this point.

6. If that's all worked you should hear the Sonos One say "Hello". Try asking it to play something like a radio station (Radio by TuneIn is enabled by default) and see if that works.

If this does not work, or you are getting stuck at any stage, please post a diagnostic confirmation number and describe how/where it went wrong.

Thank you, keep us posted as to whether or not this helps!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

1) yes, Asking Alexa to go to Volume 2 has no effect when the box is in this state. I have tried 'quieter' .. anyhow, all efforts fail other than pressing volume down on top of the box. 

2) see #1

3) A BT Home Hub latest edition with ability to provide WiFi to a whole heap of home kit without issue and Sonos One reverts to losing connection about once a week and not finding it again without a restart. Cat6 cable, issue resolved, never lost connection since. 

I read about the quality of Sonos, hence when I saw one with Alexa integration I thought it would be equal. About a year later Sonos informed me I could switch it to Google ... Frying pan, fire I thought. The integration is appalling, look across this community, yet Sonos have no issue with it or how it is tarnishing their name. If the box had died it would have been replaced with an Echo, unfortunately it keeps going. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That's not my experience, so it’s a shame you have had a bad experience. 😞 As a first step, can you Disable then Enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa App and see if that resolves issues 1 & 2?

Can you please disconnect the ethernet cable, then submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.  Sonos staff can then investigate if wi-fi interference is an issue.  (I use Google wifi and sometimes still experience wifi noise causing issues around my home. :smiley:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

There ought to be a post that is not two years old that addresses these issues, since they are still ongoing. Has there really been no progress made in terms of the software all this time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There ought to be a post that is not two years old that addresses these issues, since they are still ongoing. Has there really been no progress made in terms of the software all this time?

The steps are still valid and that doesn't necessarily imply a software defect. Do you have a specific issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The steps are still valid and that doesn't necessarily imply a software defect. Do you have a specific issue?

Two years of ‘solutions’ involving logging out of amazon on every device implies that something is not working right out of the box, I would say. My devices’s Alexa drops in and out of usability at random. Current status is for over a day it’s just not responded, no “I’m sorry...” message, no tone. Shows as enabled in the Sonos app and “offline” in the alexa app. The echo dot I thought I’d be replacing still functions without any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Two years of ‘solutions’ involving logging out of amazon on every device implies that something is not working right out of the box, I would say. My devices’s Alexa drops in and out of usability at random. Current status is for over a day it’s just not responded, no “I’m sorry...” message, no tone. Shows as enabled in the Sonos app and “offline” in the alexa app. The echo dot I thought I’d be replacing still functions without any issues.

Please follow the steps in this post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Please follow the steps in this post.

Thank you for the suggestion. I assigned permanent IP addresses to my three speakers when I first encountered issues with the new Sonos One. I’ve since sent it back to Sonos after speaking with a technician on the phone, have set up a new Sonos One (also with permanent IP address) and have encountered the same issues: alexa saying sorry I’m unable, and more importantly the speaker dropping off the network and not being able to be rediscovered without a factory reset.

Diagnostic confirmation number: 1687688579

I followed all the steps to the letter and this still hasn’t resolved my issue. Everything was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago when all of a sudden it just stopped working. Alexa will still say “Playing [whioever/whatever] on Spotify” but then nothing happens.

Alexa still works for things like turning on my TV, telling me the weather, it just seems to be Spotify that it’s having issues with. I’ve also tried removing the skill and then re-adding it but have had not luck.

Please can someone help me with this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Diagnostic confirmation number: 1687688579

I followed all the steps to the letter and this still hasn’t resolved my issue. Everything was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago when all of a sudden it just stopped working. Alexa will still say “Playing [whioever/whatever] on Spotify” but then nothing happens.

Alexa still works for things like turning on my TV, telling me the weather, it just seems to be Spotify that it’s having issues with. I’ve also tried removing the skill and then re-adding it but have had not luck.

Please can someone help me with this?

There is a partial Spotify outage currently, can you try with another service?

I’m afraid I don’t have another music streaming service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m afraid I don’t have another music streaming service.

Please monitor here and retest after it is resolved.