Question

Removing Device Names in Alexa App

• 3 November 2017
  • 13 replies

Badge
I had some trouble with my Sonos setup a couple of days ago that required some troubleshooting. I have two sonos ones acting as surrounds to my playbar and sub in the living room. When I was troubleshooting I removed the surrounds and tested them as individual speakers and also as a stereo pair. When doing this, I had to give a name to the stereo pair and the two individual speakers. At some point, I also changed the name of the Living Room to TV Room thinking the issue may have been caused by a naming conflict. After my issue was resolved, I added the surrounds back to my living room setup where they will remain. Now, in the alexa app the names for my stereo pair and individual speakers still remain even though they are not in use. I now have 4 device names on the alexa app that are not in use. I understand that I will have my group name which is now Living Room and my two Sonos devices which are now labeled Sonos One Left and Sonos One Right. However, I also have devices named TV Room, Living Room Right, Living Room Left, and Stereo Pair. Again, I created these names when I removed the surrounds from my playbar and this was only done for testing purposes. I just need to figure out how to get rid of these old and unused device names. I have tried removing these in the "Manage Content and Devices" section in my Amazon account, but they do not show up.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you access https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com on a PC, you will be able to forget those old Sonos names under Smart Home>Devices
Badge
Smart Home>Devices only shows "Living Room." This is the one that I need. The other 4 are not listed there. These are only listed in the Devices section under Settings on both PC and Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
On the PC app, do you have the ability to 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'?
Badge
Yes, and I have done that. When I rediscover, it only finds Living Room, but the other device names remain under settings.
I have the same issue. I have two player ones and a connect device that show up double in the alexa app under settings and you can't delete them there, but in in the smart home page there is only 3. Has anyone figured it out?
I’m also struggling with the same issue, and would really have thought it would be a straightforward fix.
Once you have the Sonos Controller App sorted with the correct Room Names and Pairings etc. Then go into the Alexa App smarthome Devices section and remove each Sonos device by selecting/clicking each Sonos device (this opens its property settings page) where you can then delete the device using the 'BIN' icon at the top right hand corner of the screen... (see screenshot) ... this example screen is the Amazon Alexa App on iOS, but I assume each device app is similar.

Once the Sonos devices are all deleted, then either ask Alexa to rediscover devices or hit the rediscover button in the Device section of the Alexa App.

Alexa should then re-discover your Sonos devices as per the final finished Sonos controller setup
Thanks for the reply. However (see attachment 1) the correct devices are showing on the smarthome tab. For some reason when you click on the top arrow to cycle between devices (see attachment 2) I can currently see 6 devices despite only having two connected. I’m really keen to get rid of these so that it’s clear. Any suggestions?
Attachment 2
Grifflondon,

Have you tried signing out the Alexa app and back in again (at bottom of Settings menu option)... or uninstalling/reinstalling the app? ... to see if that refreshes the list.
Ken,

I have tried logging out a few times and also deleting the app but to no avail. Not really sure what else the solution could be? Thanks
I've got this problem too - Sonos Rooms appearing as Devices under Settings and can't make them go away.
(done on iOS - process takes 10 mins). You need to:

go to the Alexa App
> Skills
> my skills
> Sonos
> Settings
> Manage Smart Home devices
> listed Sonos device (shown by room name or whatever you renamed it as)
> use Trash icon in top right

if you want to re-add devices (i wanted to do this as my room / speakers had been reconfigured)
unfortunately you can NOT:
go to the Alexa App
> Skills
> my skills
> Sonos
> Settings
> Manage Smart Home devices
> Add device

instead i had to:
go to the Alexa App
> Skills
> my skills