Remove speaker from sonos app

• 9 January 2019
  • 8 replies

I have a sonos connect downstairs which i control with my vouce via alexa on my echo dot. Upstairs i have a sonos one with built in alexa. Since linking alexa on echo dot to sonos connect my alexa no longer works on the sonos one. Both connect and sonos one are on my sonos account & app as separate rooms.
To get alexa to work upstairs I think i need to remove the sonos one from my sonos account and set it up under a different sonos account. Anyone know how to do this please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have a sonos connect downstairs which i control with my vouce via alexa on my echo dot. Upstairs i have a sonos one with built in alexa. Since linking alexa on echo dot to sonos connect my alexa no longer works on the sonos one.

This is not expected functionality. What exactly do you mean by "linking alexa on echo dot to sonos connect"? Did you create an Alexa group where the dot is the Alexa device and the Connect is the preferred speaker?

Both connect and sonos one are on my sonos account & app as separate rooms.
To get alexa to work upstairs I think i need to remove the sonos one from my sonos account and set it up under a different sonos account. Anyone know how to do this please?

If you did this you created 2 separate Sonos accounts, one for up and one for down, you would also need 2 separate Amazon Alexa accounts, since you can only link a single Sonos account to an Alexa account. And you would not be able to group your two rooms together.
I have one sonos account with Family room (downstairs) and Bedroom (upstairs) speakers set up as my "rooms".
I have one alexa account with Echo Dot set up as a device. (Bedroom & Family room also appear on device list as speakers).

Both sets work fine via sonos app either as a group or separate rooms.

The issue I have is that I can no longer use alexa on my sonos one and it no longer appears on the alexa app as an available device. Just as a speaker named "bedroom".

I want to be able to use alexa on both devices.

Am new to this so am likely doing something wrong but cannot work out what! 😞
I suggest the following.

If you are using the same name for a Sonos room and Alexa device, make them different.
In the Alexa app, disable the Sonos skill then re-enable it.
Discover devices.

See where that leaves you. I suspect it will also be necessary to set up the Alexa groups that @melvimbe referred to.
I concur with John's suggestions. This looks more like a configuration issue on the Alexa side, that is best resolved by making sure the names are unique, and re-enabling the Sonos skill.
I guess the fundamental question is whether it SHOULD be feasible to have one sonos account servicing various speakers (in my case sonos one & connect) and have them controlled from one Alexa account via multiple alexa enabled devices (in my case alexa built into the sonos one and echo).
I dont know if its not working as it should or whether what i want it to do just isn't functionally possible. Help!
Just seen above responses. Will try renaming option. Fingers crossed. Thanks
Task - make names of sonos rooms and alexa groups different. Have listed exactly what i did & the results as hasnt fixed the problem.

Starting Point
1. Opened "devices" in alexa app and under "Groups" have 2 groups; 1 x "bedroom" & 1x "Family room"
2. Selected "Family room" - alexa = echo dot (online), preferred speaker = Family room
3. Selected "bedroom" - alexa = bedroom (offline), family room = disabled , preferred speaker = bedroom
** Check to see what works - result = alexa controls sonus in family room ok via echo dot. Alexa on sonos one in bedroom does not work, but sonos one functions as a speaker; I.e. plays Spotify for example from spotify app in my phone

Step 1 rename groups
1. Renamed "bedroom" group to "upstairs"
2. Renamed "Family room" group to "downstairs"
** Check to see what works - as per starting point

Step 2 alexa skills
1. Disabled sonos skill
2. Enabled sonos skill, opened option to link accounts, gave sonos permission to give alexa control, message displayed that successfully linked sonos
3. Discover devices
4. Result = no new devices found and group info on alexa app still appears as per step 1 end point.
** Check to see what works - as per starting point

Perhaps I need to change device names in sonos itself? Perhaps it's due to alexa appearing off line on "upstairs" sonos one? Perhaps I'm simply trying to do something that functionally isn't possible?

Note in my device list on alexa, "echo device appears online & bedroom device (sonos one) appears offline. Strange that on device list it's still called "bedroom". Not sure how to rename the device itself?

Still confused & isn't working as I need it to.
Screen shots of alexa app and sonos app after doing the above