Answered

Playing Local Music Library on Sonos through Alexa

• 4 October 2017
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 2
Will alexa skill be able to play from my music library?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 21:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
FYI - Please see my last post in this thread for another possible solution:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/playing-from-local-music-library-not-possible-using-alexa-voice-control-6797647/index1.html#post16192554
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I am very disappointed the Sonos Alexa skill cannot play music from my local music library. I an frustrated that it can do track-level operations on albums I have played through direct Sonos control of my music library. I want it to do more and don't use streaming music sources, and never have.

Come on Sonos; get your lovely speaker SW ass in gear and (a) commit to providing Sonos Alex control of music library playing, and (b) deliver it promptly. We'll all love you for it.
I came to this thread looking for how to use the Alexa voice command to play my local library on my Sonos system. I thought it was just my lack of know-how, but apparently it can't be done. So I am overjoyed to learn that I'm not just a technical simpleton, but someone who was also duped by the marketing. Seriously, I'm very disappointed because I did think that Alexa in the Sonos One would be able to play ALL my music sources, not just the streaming services. I hope that Sonos works out a solution to this.
Userlevel 1
Well here I am patiently waiting in Australia for Alexa to 'çontrol' my Sonos - and it finally arrived in Jan 2018. Already have 1's set up in stereo so no use getting a P1 with Alexa so went with an Echo Dot. As noted by my irate colleagues - can it play from my Sonos library ?? (the only reason I bought one) unbelievably no. Love my Sonos, very stable, great sound, handles my big library easily. However they perhaps should have given voice control a miss until one of the fundamentals was worked out. Anyone in the market for a brand new Dot - it tells jokes and knows the weather !
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well here I am patiently waiting in Australia for Alexa to 'çontrol' my Sonos - and it finally arrived in Jan 2018. Already have 1's set up in stereo so no use getting a P1 with Alexa so went with an Echo Dot. As noted by my irate colleagues - can it play from my Sonos library ?? (the only reason I bought one) unbelievably no. Love my Sonos, very stable, great sound, handles my big library easily. However they perhaps should have given voice control a miss until one of the fundamentals was worked out. Anyone in the market for a brand new Dot - it tells jokes and knows the weather !

The Sonos CEO has committed to getting this to work but no Alexa or Google device plays locally stored music smoothly at present.
Brutal. Man, I did a ton of reading and just bought Alexa and never thought to ask this because I thought it was a given. I feel pretty ripped off. My music library has some pretty rare tracks that you'll never find on any music service.
Thinking about taking it back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Brutal. Man, I did a ton of reading and just bought Alexa and never thought to ask this because I thought it was a given. I feel pretty ripped off. My music library has some pretty rare tracks that you'll never find on any music service.

You can still initiate the tracks on your music library from the app and then voice control afterwards - it's just the initiation part that doesn't work via voice. Not ideal but hopefully this will be sorted soon.
Badge +1
I have just activated a Sonos One in my system for voice. As Sparkydark says, lots of reading done prior to getting the One add on - to date I have been enjoying the Sonos systems I have, but wrongly assumed that my music library would be controlled by Alexa (which would appear to be a *fundamental*).

Here's hoping that UKMedia's report of the Sonos CEO committing to have this done results in it getting done!
Userlevel 1

You can still initiate the tracks on your music library from the app and then voice control afterwards - it's just the initiation part that doesn't work via voice. Not ideal but hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Let's be clear - this is a HUGE fail.

And, to be clear - look at Alexa on Amazon. Alexa has full knowledge of my Library, just unable to play it. WTF?
I’d just like to add my voice to the many ofhers here with a polite request for Sonos to implement this feature as soon as possible.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So a year later and no change.
I have spent £10,000 on Sonos & I wish I didn’t I have thousands of music files & Sonos only lets me play some or I have to pay for a streaming service this is when Sonos decides to work so many times all I get is unable to find Sonos which I never bought it