Answered

Outage - Alexa started BBC stations not playing

• 21 February 2018
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator II
  • 113 replies
As of today I can't get BBC Radios 2 or 4 to play on my Sonos Ones. It says it's playing eg BBC Radio 4 from TuneIn but it doesn't. Anyone else getting this?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 February 2018, 20:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I’ve got the exact same problem and have tried every possible “fix” to find from reading this thread that it wasn’t a problem I could fix anyway! So frustrating- and such a waste of time. And I use it to listen to the radio. What a pain.
Same problem here too. Sort of relieved it is not something I have done inadvertently 🙂 To be clear though, it is only a problem playing BBC radio stations through my dot via tunein to my Sonos system; fine through the Sonos app direct. All other radio stations work through my dot via tunein or via the Sonos app.
Same problem here too. Sort of relieved it is not something I have done inadvertently 🙂 To be clear though, it is only a problem playing BBC radio stations through my dot via tunein to my Sonos system; fine through the Sonos app direct. All other radio stations work through my dot via tunein or via the Sonos app.
Yes and me too. It seems to be just a BBC and voice issue. Radio 4 became very intermittent last night then it stopped.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, as dasym posted from the support team, there is currently an issue we're investigating with BBC stations started using Alexa on Sonos. If you use the Sonos app to play those stations, they'll work fine. I'll let you all know here in this thread when the issue has been resolved.

For now, I'm going to mark this post as the answer to this thread so that it remains sticky at top, it doesn't mean that we've determined the issue to be resolved at this time. I'll also be making this thread the main post for this issue, so I'll be changing the title. We're still working on it.

Thanks for reporting everyone.
Same problem for us too also in the UK. Yesterday asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 2 ( or any BBC station) in a room, Alexa answers correctly and knows the room but no sound. Other tunein stations work. Why is this? So frustrating!!!
Same problem for us too also in the UK. Yesterday asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 2 ( or any BBC station) in a room, Alexa answers correctly and knows the room but no sound. Other tunein stations work. Why is this? So frustrating!!!

Stevemorea, I politely raised this with Tunein earlier. They were very responsive in replying and know/agree there is an issue and further agree with my thoughts that there is some compatibility issue between BBC, Tunein and Alexa. Needless to say, they are working on it but have no fix eta.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
It's working now ?

Thanks for all the efforts in fixing this.
It's working now ?

Thanks for all the efforts in fixing this.

It is, I agree, good news!!!!!!
Yes, working here as well!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the reports! We're still checking on things to make sure so we aren't quite ready to call this one "all clear" just yet. Glad it's working for you!
Working here!!! Great start to the day.
Badge
Yes, all working. Thank you Sonos.
Yes! Its working again here in the UK too! Phew! Anyone know exactly what was fixed and by whom - Sonos, Amazon Tunein or BBC?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yes! Its working again here in the UK too! Phew! Anyone know exactly what was fixed and by whom - Sonos, Amazon Tunein or BBC?
It's still under investigation, but it has to do with the radio streams that Alexa picks when told to play the stations on Sonos. I believe there are some changes going out slowly right now to systems around the world and as they reach your system, you're able to get the right stations. I'll let you all know when we get the final ok that we're clear around the world.
Everything is working fine, thanks guys for getting it sorted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It wouldn't play BBC radio stations through google home either using Tunein, so I would guess a BBC/tunein/voice problem.
Of course the google home can play direct BBC streams outside of tunein, so no problem there.
This is not working for BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 or 5 in Isle of Man but works for BBC radio 1. Alexa says “BBC radio x playing on.....” but then silence except for BBC radio 1 which plays fine. Please can you resolve?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's still under investigation, but it has to do with the radio streams that Alexa picks when told to play the stations on Sonos. I believe there are some changes going out slowly right now to systems around the world and as they reach your system, you're able to get the right stations. I'll let you all know when we get the final ok that we're clear around the world.

Hi Ryan

This is fixed in most situations but not all. These are the tests I've undertaken:

1- Ask Lounge Sonos (Sonos One) to play Radio 4 or BBC Radio 4 - Success
2- Ask Echo Dot to play Radio 4 (or BBC Radio 4) - Success
3- Ask Echo Dot to play Radio 4 (or BBC Radio 4) on Lounge Sonos - Success
4- Ask Echo Dot to play Radio 4 (or BBC Radio 4) on Bedroom Sonos (Play:5 - Gen 1) - Fail

I've rebooted the Play:5 but no difference and interestingly test 4 works on my other Play:5. This is the player with the weakess wi-fi signal in my set-up but it will output Radio 4 when grouped with the Sonos One on tests 1-3!

Diag submitted #831104699
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for the updates and details about BBC playback. According to the previously mentioned issue, that should be resolved. If you are still having problems getting radio playback through Amazon Echo, please give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They may need to collect more information to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!
Hello all. BBC radio stations are again not working for me on both my Echo based devices and Sonos devices. They do not work whether I use voice or the Sonos app. I’m located in the US. Is anyone else having this issue too? I can play other radio stations just fine but BBC ones do not work. It is exactly the same issue that was described earlier in this thread.

On the echo based devices it just says something like BBC Radio 2 is not available right now.

Rich.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Rich

No outage reported: http://status.sonos.com/
Very odd. How can I be having the exact same issue as reported by others in this thread from a few months ago - but only me? Is anyone else having this issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suggest that you first Disable then Re-Enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa App. Please let us know how you get on.
Just disabled the Sonos skill and re-enabled it but the issue persists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay. The next thing to do is to power down the following devices for 5 secs, allowing each to complete their boot sequence before moving to the next.

- Router
- Any network switch
- Any wired Sonos device
- Any other Sonos device.

Let us know how you get on.