New to Sonos or Alexa? How to set up

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
So you have an Alexa device and Sonos players, where do you go next?

1. Make sure your Sonos and Alexa devices are all powered up and connected to the network.

If you're new to Sonos, this means Installing the Sonos app, and going through the steps for Setting up Sonos here. There's a great video too.

If you're new to Alexa, install the Alexa app (currently only available in the US, UK, and Germany) and make sure your Alexa device(s) show up. They will be listed under Settings > Devices. Amazon has a setup guide for the Echo Dot here.

2. In the Alexa app, search for and add the Alexa Skill for Sonos.

3. Follow the on-screen prompts to authenticate your Amazon account, then your Sonos account.

4. Finally, inside your Alexa app, select discover devices under Smart Home or on the Sonos skill page.

You are now ready to try out some commands! There’s a great, comprehensive list here.

Wondering how it all works? Check out the How it works thread.

If you run into any trouble, please feel free to take a look here to start, or ask any question in the Amazon Alexa and Sonos forum.

There are also full steps laid out in our video here:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

199 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I really hope it'll support playback from my own music library though ... fingers crossed

There's certainly a lot of interest around that, so I would expect it to be something Sonos delivers if it's possible.

[quote]My logical conclusion is that I then proceeded to offer a logical theory from the available evidence.
evidence available to myself being:
My logical conclusion is...

We'll have to agree to disagree because there can be no common ground here. You are not making logical conclusions. You invented, whole cloth, scenarios which you proceeded to "validate" with your misunderstanding of the technology.

It's irrelevant though, as I'm not going to convince you, and we're clogging a thread up that could be used for better discussion.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ok now you've both traded blows, can we all just chill out a little? The Alexa Sonos update is a beta right? so expecting perfection isn't going to be realistic. What is realistic is constructive debate around an issue that may give the developers a steer on what to deal with
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
So calling something "lazy development" or saying they "didn't have the skills" isn't belittling a developer? Gee, who knew? :8

But hey, glad to see my belittling of you got you to back off on them. Baby steps.

You will note, as you appear to hang on my every word with a desire to disect and analyse each one, that in my post on page 4 I offered my conclusion that this was a commercially driven decision. I was never on the developer.

The scenario of lazy or unskilled development was put forward as the only other alternative. Given that the developers are easily skilled enough to achieve the functionality, it somewhat validates my original conclusion.

When all other possibilities have been discounted, what remains however implausible or ugly, has to be the truth.

The reason we dont have these functions os down to finance.

Either they didnt want to spend more developer time doing the slightly more complicated stuff and had other priorities for them, or they saw these additions as a commercial conflict with their own music services, at least for a period of time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

We'll have to agree to disagree because there can be no common ground here. You are not making logical conclusions. You invented, whole cloth, scenarios which you proceeded to "validate" with your misunderstanding of the technology.

It's irrelevant though, as I'm not going to convince you, and we're clogging a thread up that could be used for better discussion.

Have you, or have you not, got any experience of deploying any form of app using the amazon developer and amazon web services?

If you haven't, please don't assume i am misunderstanding the technology.

There are several apps out there that reference local items in a users home which alexa knows nothing about.

Alexa can for example turn on my hot water system, and while it has the thermostats listed as smart devices, it knows nothing of my hot water install but relays commands to the honeywell system which does.

Alexa does not have a full list of phrases which can be sent to IFTTT but she sends them anyway and hands off the work of interpreting the instruction to another platform.

As you are able to refresh your library content on the sonos system, it is entirely plausible that this local library index file which I believe is stored on the non volatile memory of each player (to a max of 65000 tracks) could be used in a very similar way to the list of triggers stored for an ifttt account. The list is external to the alexa system but addressable non the less.

This appears on the face of it to be technically possible from the amazon and sonos developers.

However if i were in charge of the purse strings at amazon, would i pay for developers to bring forward a solution which allowed customers to use their own storage instead of my $25 a year offering? Not until id reviewed whether the omission of such a feature encouraged the take up of my $25 offering. Once id scooped up enough of the people willing to shell out $25 instead of whinge about it on forums then id consider appeasing the rest of the customer base, and certainly so if the competition (google home) offered this functionality if and when it integrated with sonos.

For simplicity, my opinion is that this is a commercial decision and we will see a change when the competition offers this functionality. Though whats the bets google launches with the ability to address files on your google homedrive first...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Looking like its only Amazon Prime and the paid amazon music at the moment.
Spotify later in year.
I've got a free amazon music 4 month trial and a paid Google Play Music.
Spotify being "allowed" later on in the year.
I doubt amazon will allow GPM until google/ amazon depute is resolved re: google pulling plug on youtube on Echo Show. They're not friends at the moment!
So a few options, folks who dont mind paying £20 approx can upload their own library to amazon server, I'm sure this will allow playing of own music, but cant be 100% on this. Also certain rips aren't allowed.
Amazon Music is actually good but I have a prepay GPM till Dec '19
May try the £20 upload when trial ends.
Anyone know if own music works with amazon/alexa?
As for apple music etc, I doubt for near future they'll be on board.
So calling something "lazy development" or saying they "didn't have the skills" isn't belittling a developer? Gee, who knew? :8

But hey, glad to see my belittling of you got you to back off on them. Baby steps.

You will note, as you appear to hang on my every word with a desire to disect and analyse each one, that in my post on page 4 I offered my conclusion that this was a commercially driven decision. I was never on the developer.

The scenario of lazy or unskilled development was put forward as the only other alternative. Given that the developers are easily skilled enough to achieve the functionality, it somewhat validates my original conclusion.

When all other possibilities have been discounted, what remains however implausible or ugly, has to be the truth.

The reason we dont have these functions os down to finance.

Either they didnt want to spend more developer time doing the slightly more complicated stuff and had other priorities for them, or they saw these additions as a commercial conflict with their own music services, at least for a period of time.

Nice dodge. If you offered it as an alternative, then you offered it as a possibility. Admit it dude, you were taking cheap shots. You had the gall to say it then, so own it now.

Then again, don't own it. I think we all know what you are all about by now. :8
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
You can choose to interpret my posts to fit your own agenda however you wish. They are there in black and white for all to see. My first, and only conclusion was that these omissions are by design due to commercial reasons.

It was you who chose to latch onto the alternative and assume this was being put forward by myself as a valid justification and a cheap shot at developers. There is no dodge here my friend, just you choosing to ignore whats there in black and white and create a defence of these omissions by unjustly attacking other posters reasonable conclusions.

So, given they have the technical expertise to provide this functionality, and certainly have the time and budget to to do it. Why do you think that the owner of a streaming and music storage facility has not immediately rolled out the facility for customers to use their own free storage and existing music streaming service?
I think the hold up was Amazon, the recent release of their API for smart speakers is proof of that. I think the lack of local library support is due to the logistics of getting a copy of the local track index into the Amazon cloud and keeping it updated, and Amazon having no current functionality to access such data, so it must be manufactured from scratch. I think the delay in Spotify support is due to the fact that Spotify was also waiting for the Amazon API, and as such, they are delayed a bit compared to Amazon Music, who had the inside lane to the finish line.

I also believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, there is no Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot, and space aliens have not implanted themselves in Donald Trump's brain (he actually is really that way).
Badge
Hi, working fine so far with Alexa over 4 zones.... stop, skip,continue, volume and band names etc .. trouble with her acknowledging my own playlists and my Napster content - any suggestions ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
It will be very interesting to see where this goes next and whether Sonos becomes little more than a "physical" add on for the likes of google/amazon and other voice assistants. Sonos are big, but google and amazon are serious heavyweights in comparison who could, if so inclined, launch their own speakers with their own technology built in, or perhaps move to acquire sonos or another speaker manufacturer in order to do so.

I think the additional functionality will depend on who blinks first with the competition and really how much of a priority this is seen as. Though having all options available to consumers, and all the grouping/ungrouping functionality etc before google home announces its colaboration with Sonos (if/when), would certainly be a coup for Amazon, so perhaps we will see these functions ooner than expected, but personally I still think Amazon aren't in a rush to deliver them whilst ever people with sonos speakers are now signing up for amazon prime music trials....

You're right on Oswald, Big Foot and Trump - but not nessie. 😛
Hi, working fine so far with Alexa over 4 zones.... stop, skip,continue, volume and band names etc .. trouble with her acknowledging my own playlists and my Napster content - any suggestions ?

Local music and Napster are not currently supported, though you can initialize playback via the Sonos app and then pause, play, skip, control volume and ask what is playing via Alexa. The full control services are as follows:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM

With Spotify coming soon.
Awesome update!
Is there anyway to toggle the ducking feature on/off?

There isn't, I can pass on feedback to the team about it for you. Would you rather it not work at all or just not drop as low? Or something else entirely?

Awesome update!
Is there anyway to toggle the ducking feature on/off?

There isn't, I can pass on feedback to the team about it for you. Would you rather it not work at all or just not drop as low? Or something else entirely?

Ideally it would be cool if it were more granular. If you could set different levels for different speakers or turn it off completely for speakers that would be awesome. It would also be beneficial if you could make it only happen when certain Echo devices are triggered. If I’m listening to my living room Sonos I wouldn’t want it to drop out because my girlfriend asked my Echo in the bedroom what the weather was. Thanks for passing the feedback along!

There needs to be a way to associate 1 or more Sonos zones with each Alexa device for the "ducking" functionality.
We have 11 zones in our house and all 11 zones should not be "paused" anytime you say "Alexa" on any one of the 7 Alexa devices in our house. Or at a minimum be able to disable the feature. Hopefully this is something that can be implemented very soon in the beta as the current "ducking feature" makes this new functionality of controlling with Alexa a nuisance in our configuration. :|

Adding some more details on what would really improve this service where multiple Sonos Zones and Alexa coexists.

Association Mapping:
Each Alexa device (Echo, Dot, embedded, etc) can be associated with one or more Sonos Zones (Amp, ZonePlayer, etc).
- Devices which are both an Alexa device and a Sonos Zone are shown as associated, but can not be disassociated.
- Associated Sonos Zones become the default target for command on the Alexa. "Alexa, play classical music" will default to the associated Sonos zones, but "Alex, play classical music in the Den" would apply to only to the specified Sonos Zone.
- Stretch Goal: A Sonos Group could be used as one of the Sonos Zones
This feature is needed in location that contain many Sonos Zones and Alexa Devices. It would not be desirable to have the music in the Kitchen Zone "ducked" when a query it put to an Alexa a bedroom.

Ducking:
Different sources may want a different effect; for example, streaming music could have the volume reduced to listen for the Alexa commands, but other sources such as Audio Books or PodCasts should instead be paused.
- "Ducking" will apply to all Sonos Zones by default unless there is a user created association. Devices which are both an Alexa and a Sonos Zone are not considered "user created" associations.
- When user created associations are created, only those Sonos Zones are Ducked.
- Stretch Goal: Allow the type of Ducking to be selected per service/source.

Alexa Service Responses:
Ducking should apply to both Alexa command inputs as well as service responses. Several Alexa services such as News ("Alexa, what's in the news?") may respond with audio (and video) from seconds to minutes. During the Service Response, "Ducking" of the associated Sonos Zones should be in effect.
- Stretch Goal: Optionally allow the Service Responses to be played in the associated Sonos Zones; i.e. hear the news audio stream over the Sonos speakers instead of the Echo Dot where the request was made.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback mhorn. I'll pass it on to the team for you. The line-in on the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE already don't duck when you ask commands of Alexa on other rooms.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm really impressed with this. The downside side is I have to remember not to say music otherwise I end with some random amazon playlist (I use deezer)

I was was always dubious of how useful voice would be, but its amazing, good job sonos!!
I have the original Echo. All of my Sonos players are synced up beautifully, but is it correct that the music WILL NOT play on the echo at the same time - it's just there to accept the voice commands? Is that why the Sonos One was introduced?
That's correct, you can tell the Echo to play with its own commands too, but if you're using a service with stream limitations like Amazon Music you will run into that issue.

I'm new to Sonos, just purchasing when I read about the Alexa integration. The speakers are amazing, but I'm hoping for one particular addition to the Alexa integration.

I have four Echo Show devices. The Alexa app allows me to link all four of the Alexa Show devices together to synch music (Multi-Room Music option in the Alexa app.) With the beta Alexa integration in place, I was really hoping to be able to add my Sonos speakers to my Alexa Show Multi-Room music group. As you mentioned, this isn't supported. The Sonos speakers do show up in the Alexa app to be added to a "Device Group." If the Sonos speakers would just show up to be added to a "Multi-Room Music" group everything would be perfect. (Without this, the Alexa show does not display what song Sonos is playing on the screen. (Although Alexa knows what song is playing and will tell you if you verbally ask - which causes the volume to duck. Sonos speakers linked to Alexa Show speakers would also greatly enhance Alexa volume control, and add Alexa Show touch screen functions like pause, skip and volume.))

What are the chances of the Sonos speaker together with Alexa speaker "Multi-Room Music" functionality being added in the near future? Would adding a Sonos One to my setup potentially add this functionality now?

Sonos speakers show up to be added under Device group.

Sonos speakers are not available to add under Multi-Room Music group.
I’ve tried to add the skill to Alexa thru the app and the website but every time it says I need to connect my speakers to my email address - which they already are. I’ve been into the Sonos app and set them up again with my account, but every time it just defaults to that page. Any idea what the problem is?
Ryan,

This forum is great - saw the exchange below and got a new Play One w Alexa today but I'm having trouble getting it to play music on both my Echo and new Play One at the same time. Did I misunderstand the comment - is it not possible to play the same source through both the Echo and Play One at the same time?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Ryan,

This forum is great - saw the exchange below and got a new Play One w Alexa today but I'm having trouble getting it to play music on both my Echo and new Play One at the same time. Did I misunderstand the comment - is it not possible to play the same source through both the Echo and Play One at the same time?

It is not possible to play the same synchronised source on both echo and sonos devices at the same time. You can have a group containing all sonos devices, or all Echo devices, but you cannot have a mix of hardware in a single group.

As an additional point to note, you cannot create a stereo pair with a new Sonos One and an older Play:1. A group, yes, but not a stereo pair.
So I've hooked up my Echo dot to my Sonos speakers.

I'm having a few teething issues as i have to speak the commands a few times before they take effect and often there is a big lag, but im aware its just a beta.

However, are we sure Alexa doesn't support Spotify (at this time)?
I don't have amazon or apple music, only Spotify. I asked Alexa to play Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds and she did, and shes previously mentioned she couldn't find a track on spotify when i mispronounced the name. I'm assuming she isnt plucking the music out of the ether sooooo are they linked on some level?

Thanks
Alexa does support Spotify. What isn't currently support is requesting Spotify music services to play on Sonos speakers through Alexa voice commands.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm having a few teething issues as i have to speak the commands a few times before they take effect and often there is a big lag

That's surprising. I normally only see long lags or ignored commands if all my bandwidth is being eaten up by something else.

Alexa does support Spotify. What isn't currently support is requesting Spotify music services to play on Sonos speakers through Alexa voice commands.
So many qualifiers to get that point clear, good job 😉
Badge
Amazon dot will not turn down or turn up volume. Did I do something wrong? Does the volume control work? I’m constantly getting the “Sonos isn’t responding” or “kitchen isn’t responding” anything I can do?
No other smart devices are connected besides 2 sonos speakers the soundbar "living room" and a play 5 "kitchen" using the command "Alexa, turn up volume in (room xxxx)." or any variation does not work and results in "xxxxx isn’t responding”
Userlevel 1
Badge
Amazon dot will not turn down or turn up volume. Did I do something wrong? Does the volume control work? I’m constantly getting the “Sonos isn’t responding” or “kitchen isn’t responding” anything I can do?
No other smart devices are connected besides 2 sonos speakers the soundbar "living room" and a play 5 "kitchen" using the command "Alexa, turn up volume in (room xxxx)." or any variation does not work and results in "xxxxx isn’t responding”

"Alexa increase volume in Dining Room"

"Alexa lower volume in Dining Room"

I guess if you change Dining room to your Zone name, it should work.

Works with SONOS Play 5 gen 1 and Dot amazon Music Paid.
(UK)

The volume increase / decrease is quite a lot though. Maybe they will look at this.
hope this helps
What about Line-In sources, and if so, what would the command be? Anything I can think of would sound very confusing and I am not too confident that it is supported at this time. If not, I am reconsidering my order of a dot echo as Spotify and Line-In (TV audio and turntable) are the majority of my listening.
What about Line-In sources, and if so, what would the command be? Anything I can think of would sound very confusing and I am not too confident that it is supported at this time. If not, I am reconsidering my order of a dot echo as Spotify and Line-In (TV audio and turntable) are the majority of my listening.

There is no control of the line-in via Alexa, which stands to reason because Alexa would need to control the device hooked up to the line-in. There is also no way to switch to the line-in via Alexa, but that could be accomplished via Autoplay.

Alexa support for Spotify is coming soon, the Sonos Facebook account says it will arrive "by the holidays". However, even at this time you can initialize play from the Sonos app and control pause, play, skip, previous, volume, etc. via Alexa.