Napster with Alexa

Userlevel 2
Will Alexa be able to work with Napster

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

119 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hey everybody, I emailed Napster asking about support for Alexa (not just with Sonos but the Echo as well). They said they are working with Amazon on Alexa integration but couldn't provide a date when it would be available.

Napster does make players for iOS/Android/browser available to third-party software developers (like myself), but they don't provide documentation for direct access to the audio stream data on their servers. Direct connection to the audio stream is necessary for developing an Alexa skill to play audio content. This is why no third-party developer has been able to connect Napster to Alexa. We'll just have to wait for the team at Napster to make this available.

Sonos has integration with each but they don't have the capability to make the two play nice with each other. If you are a paying Napster subscriber, your best bet is to contact Napster directly and voice your desire for Alexa control. I'm sure Napster understands the risk of losing customers to Pandora & Spotify because of Alexa and are making that effort a priority.

Thanks, going to do this. Also posting here to signal to Sonos that there is a demand for Napster integration.
Napster was promoted by Sonos when many of us bought our first component. I'd be keen if Sonos, took some positive visible action in getting napster integrated with voice commands. Getting them to play nice is not something the users can influence other than pester power. The two great systems working together seamlessly with voice activation would be awesome... We all want awesome don't we?
one more meaningless vote from me for Alexa and Napster to work together. Why have Spotify (launched in 2011) integration prior to Napster (launched in 2001...Rhapsody/Real). No respect.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Not at launch. . . . . I'll add your interest as a request to the team for Napster support in the future.

This was the reply 9months ago, lots of people saying theyd like this feature and what have sonos done? To me, it seems like nothing. Did the feature get requested? is it going to happen? Why was spotify done so quickly yet napster hasnt? Why do napster users have to wait so long but ducking etc is sorted within a short time scale? Ive never had an issue with ducking as i cant play music.

I switched the microphone back on today just to ask alexa is she still rubbish. She didnt respond so i guess silence speaks a thousand words. Anyone want to swap a sonos one with a play 1.
Spotify was possible because it was already supported on Amazon Alexa. It appears a service must first be playable on Alexa before it can be playable on Sonos via Alexa.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Spotify was possible because it was already supported on Amazon Alexa. It appears a service must first be playable on Alexa before it can be playable on Sonos via Alexa.

Any chance of answering the rest of the questions please?

Any chance of answering the rest of the questions please?

I'm not a Sonos employee, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I imagine the answer to all your questions revolves around the fact that Napster is not yet supported on Alexa.
I have just added another sonos to our system - this time the Alexa enabled version. We use Napster as this was the service that Sonos was pushing when we first invested - they included a 3 month trial. I cant believe having set it up that we cant actually use Alexa to play anything from Napster. Its a complete waste of money! How hard can it be to integrate? Sonos you really need to up your game re. development. There is also the issue that you still dont support google.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Amazon compete with both Napster and Google, its not really in their interest to do the basic integration that Sonos require. There are ways to integrate Napster on Sonos with your Alexa, but you can't use the Sonos skill to do it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
There are ways to integrate Napster on Sonos with your Alexa, but you can't use the Sonos skill to do it.

Can you kindly tell us how this is done. Uk user here.

He will probably PM you, because in reality his vague references to "other ways" is just a stealth Spamming of a skill he wrote, a practice Sonos has requested he stop doing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sonos has requested he stop doing.

Hey quit with the damn lies jgatie. What the hell?? The last communication I had from Sonos was a job offer, when they opened their Seattle office.

Moderators: please do something about jgatie's lies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sorry no, my recommended solution is for US-only Amazon accounts (an Amazon restriction).
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 from me
Apparently the Sonos - Alexa - Napster integration is available in Mexico: https://help.napster.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019438811-Napster-on-Alexa

so there is no technical barrier.

Can we PLEASE get this enabled in the US? PLEASE !?!?!?!?
Wow. Did not know Napster was a thing.

It is a thing and you should support it. Competition is a good thing, and we can't have Google, Amazon and Apple running every godd@mn thing, now can we?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have alexa working with both napster and my own library on my pc. Its using a third party skill sometimes mentioned in here but it works flawlessly. I have also emailed napster and they are working on making their skill available to places other than mexico. £5 a month for multiple streams and a huge library. No thanks spotify.
Userlevel 2

I have the same problem. How did you get Alexa to work with Napster?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Laurie White 

There is an alexa skill called myspeaker, download it and follow the instructions to run it. Works perfectly for napster and local libraries. Very easy to setup and use.