Question

Napster on Alexa

• 11 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
When will napster be working on alexa?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, Danny. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. We can't speak for Amazon and the future plans of Alexa. On the Sonos side of the discussion, we will need to have it be supported by Amazon first before making its way to our product line. However, I will be happy to forward your request along to the team for visibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You can use Napster on your Alexa system using my Skill today. My Skill does not need Amazon to support the service.
You can use Napster on your Alexa system using my Skill today. My Skill does not need Amazon to support the service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
? Why did you just quote the last post?
Hey everybody, I emailed Napster asking about support for Alexa (not just with Sonos but the Echo as well). They said they are working with Amazon on Alexa integration but couldn't provide a date when it would be available.

Napster does make players for iOS/Android/browser available to third-party software developers (like myself), but they don't provide documentation for direct access to the audio stream data on their servers. Direct connection to the audio stream is necessary for developing an Alexa skill to play audio content. This is why no third-party developer has been able to connect Napster to Alexa. We'll just have to wait for the team at Napster to make this available.

Sonos has integration with each but they don't have the capability to make the two play nice with each other. If you are a paying Napster subscriber, your best bet is to contact Napster directly and voice your desire for Alexa control. I'm sure Napster understands the risk of losing customers to Pandora & Spotify because of Alexa and are making that effort a priority.