Answered

My sister's alexa controls my sonos from 200 miles away!!

• 6 January 2018
  • 16 replies

Badge
My sister came to ours for Christmas and she got an Alexa dot, for the few next few days we played with it and hooked it up to my sonos. Now she has gone home (200 miles away)- but now whenever she talks to her alexa the volume on my sonos goes down! I phoned her up to test my theory and it was correct - further more she then tried to play a song 'in the kitchen' and that worked too!!!

How can I stop this from happening? This is a major bug in my opinion!
icon

Best answer by chicks 6 January 2018, 16:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Based on a couple of hours of fiddling to get my sonos linked I think she must have the alexa app with your devices still specified and enabled. I think if she disables your devices in her app it should stop.Hope that helps. I can't yet get my sonos connects working through Alexa so she must have done something right in setting it up.
Badge
Yes I'm sure she has but I just assumed Alexa would control the Sonos over wi-fi, clearly this is not the case.

She has removed my sonos from her alexa app and it has fixed the problem. Thing is what if she refused to do so or couldn't do it for some reason ? It's crazy that I can't deny her access from the sonos itself!

I guess I could change my password on my Sonos account - that might work - depends on the type of OAuth token Alexa has stored I guess!
Was she using Spotify Connect to play music by any chance?
Badge
No I don't think so. I do have Spotify but when we set up her Alexa we only configured Sonos (i.e. the only data we entered was my wifi password and my sonos account details). She doesn't have Spotify herself.
That really is interesting! I suspected that Spotify Connect was really to blame, because that is a known 'feature' of Spotify Connect. But it appears not.
Badge
Yes. A year or so ago I lent my speakers to a mate who also had sonos equipment but was having a party. After the party he returned my speaking but I could access all his Spotify Content (this was before I had Spotify) - it was great while it lasted - I suspect he changed his password or the token expired as it eventually stopped working 🙂
Alexa is in the cloud. I can control my Echoes, Dots and Ones from my phone, even if it’s not connected to my WiFi network, from anywhere. That’s how it’s supposed to work. Certainly not a “bug”.
Badge
Hhmmmm well it's not an Alexa bug but I'd say it was a Sonos bug. What if I sold my Alexa if I didn't remove the sonos connection before I sold it then the new owner could control my sonos!!! Assuming it uses the OAuth protocol I should be able to remove the authorisation at any time via the sonos app - I mean every other cloud service allows you to do this eg Facebook, Google, Salesforce etc why not Sonos?
Simple, you deregister it via the Amazon web page. It’s the Alexa service you’ve registered. When Google Home is added, you’ll need to manage that service via Google. Same thing for music services; you register through the service. Pretty basic stuff, certainly not a bug...

https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.html#/home/devices/1
Badge
Yes but the problem is I don't have access to her amazon account in order to deregister. With the music services I can deregister them via the sonos app.:(
Yes but the problem is I don't have access to her amazon account in order to deregister. With the music services I can deregister them via the sonos app.:(

So, you allowed her to register Alexa on your device on her Amazon Account, which makes little sense. Alexa enables voice control, which you already should have had enabled on you own Amazon account. Why in the world would you have her to do this, there should have been no need to do so. It makes absolute sense that she now has to unregister it in her Amazon account, since it was registered there in the first place.

If you ever sell your Sonos devices, be sure to deregister them in your Amazon account first.
Badge
Yes that's right - she was at mine for Christmas and got an Alexa so got it working then I said 'let's see if it can control my sonos' so she clicked the 'add sonos' button. We had fun with it for a few days then she went home and I (wrongly) assumed she wouldn't be able to control it as I thought it would be via wifi (just like I cannot control my home sonos from my iPhone unless I'm on the same wifi). Must admit it took me a few days of wondering why the volume on the sonos kept going up and down :-)

But your right, ordinarily this would never happen ; guess I was an edge case. I wonder if I change my sonos password if she'll still be able to access it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unless she remembers your Sonos password now, she won't be able to add it back in to her Alexa account. If she were to try, there will be a prompt to log into a Sonos account.
Badge
Hi @MikeV,

Even when I changed my Sonos password her Alexa still could access my Sonos !!

Anyway, I fixed it - I needed to create a brand new Sonos account then change my Sonos settings to point to the new account.

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Based on a couple of hours of fiddling to get my sonos linked I think she must have the alexa app with your devices still specified and enabled. I think if she disables your devices in her app it should stop.Hope that helps. I can't yet get my sonos connects working through Alexa so she must have done something right in setting it up.

Are you still having problems?
Badge
No, the problem is fixed. Disabling the devices didn't work, neither did removing them from her Amazon account (so I suspect either my sister did it wrong which is very possible or something was getting cached somewhere). Anyway, I fixed it by creating a new Sonos account and pointing my Sonos system to the new account - drastic but it worked 🙂