Answered

Music to sonos1 from ipad

• 2 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Why do you need to always use a streaming service to get music  stored on a  iPad to listen on the Sonos 1 speaker,   computer version works I know but leaving on all day is a stupid idea, it seems your being forced to sign up to companies to make items work.

it works perfect for other apps Mixcloud etc, so why does it not with Apple, my iPad is a 2020 model 8 th generation surely something can be done with a simple update.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 July 2021, 12:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I believe this was due to a change in iOS by Apple a while back.

If the speaker is a Sonos One then you can use AirPlay from the iPad to play locally stored music.

But if the speaker is a Play 1 then it does not support AirPlay

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Why do you need to always use a streaming service to get music  stored on a  iPad to listen on the Sonos 1 speaker,   computer version works I know but leaving on all day is a stupid idea, it seems your being forced to sign up to companies to make items work.

it works perfect for other apps Mixcloud etc, so why does it not with Apple, my iPad is a 2020 model 8 th generation surely something can be done with a simple update.

You can perhaps ‘Airplay’ your music to the speaker - sync your local music over iTunes to your iPad using a computer. With the tracks downloaded to your iPad, you can then Airplay the music to your Sonos One. 

I don’t subscribe to Apple Music but have sync’d a few albums to my iPad Pro as a test (see attached screenshots) and am able to Airplay those to my Sonos One stereo pair (called Breakfast Bar).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If your ”Sonos 1 speaker” is a Sonos One (or One SL), not a Play:1. The Play:1 is not Airplay compatible.

I have tried using the airplay function which I do with bbc sounds or Mixcloud app and seems to work on everything, but any music stored in music app on the ipad is now not allowed unless from the main computer which is ok, but iPad seems to block the Sonos1 Gen 2 (alexi) from allowing a simple procedure of streaming.

Apple music if you subscribe alllows you to listen to your own tracks or more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I can Airplay from the Music app to my One:

I am not an Apple Music subscriber.

Yes, I can play my ‘own’ (owned/purchased/ripped) music too, like @106rallye mentions, via the Apple Musuc App - I’m not a subscriber to Apple Music either. 

Update.

for some reason using the Sonos S2 app even though you press updates nothing appeared to happen,  so after switching off the speaker and connecting it to a other streaming hi fi unit it and using it as a server in someway, the unit went and updated by itself and now works with  own own recording or purchased ones from iTunes on the Apple Music app all is well.

thanks for all the advice and help.