Answered

Keeps hearing things that aren’t Alexa?

• 4 November 2017
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Does anyone else have the issue of the sonos one keep beeping and hearing things that aren’t Alexa. I was watching tv last night and 6 times in one hour she muted the tv volume and beeped as if she heard her name. I wouldn’t mind but when I call her name she doesn’t hear it...it seems the programming side of things needs some work!!

It would surly make sense that the sound coming through the speaker shouldn’t trigger her as she knows she is the source? It also happens when you ask Alexa something and in her response she says Alexa...it then triggers the sonos one again...I had the dot and echo and neither of these devices worked like this and hardly any false triggers but it is getting silly with the sonos one now. Is it just me?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 December 2017, 23:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Are you just finding things.you want to find or has Sonos actually said they've made a change in this regard?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
No difference for me, still the same annoying issues.

I asked Alexa to play beat the intro and you can't actually play the game because as part of the script it says ask Alexa to... She heard this, wakes up and stops, so annoying..

I would avoid these speakers, they are awful!!! If you want Alexa use a dot and a play 1.
Userlevel 3
Still the same for me. Infuriating! Having previously returned two Ones I was keeping one and living with the eccentricities hoping for improvement. But we just can't live with it any longer. There have been improvements such as flash briefing and Spotify. But the constant dinging and the fact you cannot have multiple streams on Spotify initiated by voice currently makes it pretty unusable for us.
[...] and the fact you cannot have multiple streams on Spotify initiated by voice currently makes it pretty unusable for us.
Can you have multiple streams on Spotify initiated by voice on an Echo device?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
[...] and the fact you cannot have multiple streams on Spotify initiated by voice currently makes it pretty unusable for us.
Can you have multiple streams on Spotify initiated by voice on an Echo device?

Nope, you have to use multi room.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
So my Sonos one answers to Vanessa, exclusive, next air pocket amoungst other things... Clearly the microphone is not as good as amazons! I have had enough... Being returned now!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I also have no idea why we have not had any response from Sonos support on this thread...
Badge
I have the same issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We’ve been listening to your reports regarding voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One, and we’re already making cloud software updates to improve the experience. We appreciate the input and will continue to make additional updates. We’ll continue to bring additional updates to make the experience better over time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We’ve been listening to your reports regarding voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One, and we’re already making cloud software updates to improve the experience. We appreciate the input and will continue to make additional updates. We’ll continue to bring additional updates to make the experience better over time.

Well if I am honest Ryan mine has got worse and not better... It still responds to 'vanessa' and 'the next episode' perfectly and without fail. Can't you just use the programming that Amazon use as they have got it right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm sorry to hear that, danielkea. There will be more updates to come, and we're able to push them out to the cloud as we go.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I've got that issue too. It's even worse if you've got 2 Sonos Ones in the same room: sometimes they chatter to each other!

Yes I am in exactly the same situation as you...surly this is something that can be fixed? I have asked support lots of things my dnever had a reply though so not sure if they are aware or not!

Pretty soon your gonna have computer robots taking over your life. I don't think I'll have Alexa or anything robot like inside my house. It's enough with the spouse there already.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I'm sorry to hear that, danielkea. There will be more updates to come, and we're able to push them out to the cloud as we go.

Ryan can you tell me if it will also be updated so that when she says Alexa herself she will not ping and stop what she was doing? Also can't you have an update so that any sound coming form the actually speakers does not set her off... Would stop the issues when watching TV on a 5.1 set up for sure?
Userlevel 1
This issue seems to be getting worse for me, it's now going off every few minutes responding to the TV and it's unbearable. Today I received a response from Sonos technical support basically fobbing me off by implying the false triggering is not a fault of their speaker but is down to me and where I've positioned the Sonos One in my room. This is not only an annoying response but is clearly nonsense and I once again urge absolutely EVERYONE with this problem to report it to Sonos until they acknowledge it as a major fault ON THEIR PART do something about it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, Sonos version 8.2.3 is now available for the Sonos One (other Sonos devices will stay on 8.2.2). This update improves Alexa responsiveness for Sonos One users in US, UK, Germany, and Austria.

You should find that Alexa is getting better at listening, with a decrease in the times Alexa speaks up when not called. Alexa on Sonos One is now more likely to carry out your desired action when requested; especially when it’s noisy, when the speaker is further away, or when speaking quietly.

Update within your Sonos app by going to More > Settings > Online Updates.

We’re continuing to work with Amazon and the Alexa team to improve Sonos One voice control. You can expect to see more developments as we go. Let us know what you think of the changes. We’d love to hear from you.
I have the update on both of my Sonos ones and the issue is still happening. My playbase sounds great but the clarity is also waking Alexa with words that don't even sound similar. I hope this can be fixed