Answered

Is there hope for integration with Google Play Music?

• 12 October 2017
  • 22 replies

Originally I had envisioned that the integration of Alexa and Sonos would have Alexa handle the voice commands while Sonos would do the work integrating with your music services. Because Sonos is music service agnostic I had hope that they would support Google Play Music. But now, if I'm understanding, Alexa is handling the voice commands AND integration and the Sonos speaker is essentially just acting like a speaker. in other words, it would be up to Amazon to create the Google Play Music integration. I have much less confidence that Amazon will let Google play in their pool.

Can anybody offer clarity on who is doing what and whether competitor services (specifically Google Play) are likely to be integrated?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 October 2017, 21:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Sonos has stated they are partnering with Google to bring the Google Assistant voice control services to Sonos. I imagine this would include a way to conrtol Google Play Music.
My speculation would be that it would be a way to control Google Play Music through the Google Assistant. Maybe I just hitched my horse with the wrong voice controller, but I was excited about Alexa and Sonos. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if music service integration is on the Alexa/Google Assistant end of things, then I don't hold out hope.
I look at Sonos' current assimilation with the multiple music providers as a template for how they want to approach voice assistants. They really want to be the man in the middle, serving everyone, rather than be tied to just a single provider. That way, they can sell the maximum hardware, which is pretty much the only way that they can make money, at this point.
I look at Sonos' current assimilation with the multiple music providers as a template for how they want to approach voice assistants. They really want to be the man in the middle, serving everyone, rather than be tied to just a single provider. That way, they can sell the maximum hardware, which is pretty much the only way that they can make money, at this point.
Just musing: is there any parallel with Gillette whose razors are bought by default now if you want their shaving solution. Or, more relevant perhaps, Kindle. You want the solution/content, the fully integrated versions work best.

I can't think of an analogy for what Sonos are seeking to attempt, but I wish them well in the task. Certainly there isn't any other alternative short of selling out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I know of another company that was in Sonos' shoes when it first launched its Alexa Smart Home functionality. Harmony (Logitech). They launched their Alexa skill and were immediately yelled at by customers because it was missing key functions (the inability to adjust volume was a major sticking point with many). The functions it was missing couldn't be included because of limitations imposed by Amazon at the time (Amazon had limited volume control to just adjusting the volume of their devices).

So Logitech/Harmony developed a second skill to get around those limitations. You had to specifically address that second skill - "Alexa, tell Harmony to..." - but it allowed them to add functionality that they couldn't initially include in their "smart home" integrated skill. They've since been able to get that missing functionality included in the core skill, and they've marked their secondary skill as "inactive" if you search for Harmony... but it's what they needed to do to fill in the gaps between what their customers wanted and what was possible.

Sonos could do the same though, if they really wanted to. "Alexa, tell Sonos to play [station] from Google Play in the Living Room"... "Alexa, tell Sonos to play [artist] from my music library in the bedroom"... "Alexa, tell Sonos to play [playlist] from Deezer in the kitchen". I think their focus right now is to get the core skill released, and if they deem it necessary, they could then start work on a secondary skill to fill some of the gaps, like other music services not supported by Alexa. Whether they do this or not is up to them though. Given that it sounds like the next project is Google Assistant support for the Sonos One, along with native control by other apps, I'm sure they have their plates pretty full for a while to come.

Just musing: is there any parallel with Gillette whose razors are bought by default now if you want their shaving solution. Or, more relevant perhaps, Kindle. You want the solution/content, the fully integrated versions work best.

I can't think of an analogy for what Sonos are seeking to attempt, but I wish them well in the task. Certainly there isn't any other alternative short of selling out.

I somewhat see them in a similar situation to Pandora, or maybe Spotify. That is to say they do one thing and do it well. The large players do everything, and built ecosystems around it. Amazon, Google, and Apple, probably don't want to play nice with Pandora, Spotify, or Sonos, because they compete with them on certain market segments. They are forced to though since Sonos and the like and the like have a large customer base and do their jobs too well.

So Kumar, I think your razor comparison is kind of applicable. Amazon, Google, and Apple (big 3) make the razors, They also make their own blades. However, people like Sonos (Spoitfy and Pandora too) blades so much that the big 3 have to allow Sonos blades to work with their razors. However, that doesn't mean that Amazon has to make Google blades work with their razors.

All that said, I'm doubtful that we'll see Google play work through Alexa, although Alexa and Amazon music certain work on Android phones, so maybe one day. It just seems like it would need to be a situation were both Google and Amazon benefit from the arraignment.

Personally, I pretty much decided years ago that I was going to go all Amazon, whenever possible, with few exceptions. In this age where everything is connected, it just makes life easier. If I start decided to go Google, I'd pretty much decide to go Google everywhere. I don't see that happening unless a new market opens up and Amazon just fails miserably...perhaps when cars start getting serious voice assistants and AI.
Where as I spread myself across all three ecosystems. Google for browsing, Amazon for purchasing and Alexa skills, and Apple for devices. I think I'm loathe to provide any one of them complete control over my life. Which is another reason to like Sonos, they want to play with everyone in the playground. Just realized I sound a bit kooky, perhaps I should pull out the tinfoil hat. 🙂
Not just that hat, but you need to also disconnect yourself from every grid out there. And perhaps build a house on a hill with a DG set for electricity while you are at it:-). Else any control you think you have is an illusion.

Using the Gillette analogy, a long time ago I preferred Wilkinson razor blades to Gillette. Now I don't think beyond Mach 3, though I have successfully resisted their - 5 blades now? - equipped vibrating razors, I find that notion rather silly. But Mach 3 delivers, every day.

I also use Kindle, and have never given even a thought to any other reader. Kindle just works.

To the Spotify thing - I get only Apple and Google music service here at this time and I don't see anything but superficial differences. I could use either quite happily and whenever Spotify does their threatened for some time launch here, I won't even bother trying them out. I will subscribe to Amazon Music though, as soon as my promised for delivery in first week November Echo is delivered to me by Amazon India.

Sonos is at the cliched inflection point, IMO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The other danger is that sonos just can't keep up with all the tech changes from the music service providers, and things drop off like audible. By trying to please all, they could end up the master of none...
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The fragmentation in this space is incredibly frustrating. I am in Canada, so Alexa is not officially available yet. I have one anyway and it's somewhat handicapped - it doesn't know the weather in my location, for example. I subscribe to Google Play Music and use Sonos. I also have a couple Chromecast Audios.

However, I can't fully use the Sonos/Alexa skill yet because it doesn't support GPM and Amazon Music is not available in Canada. Google Home is available in Canada but it won't talk to my ecobee or Sonos. Alexa won't control my Chromecast Audios either. And getting Alexa to talk to my Logitech Harmony was not as easy as it should be. Although the smart home space is interesting and exciting, it's also frustrating how all the pieces won't work together.

As an aside, I know you can cast Google Play Music from the GPM app on your phone to Sonos, the same way you do to Chromecast. Has anyone here tried using a Google Home device to play music on a Sonos the same way you would tell it to play music on a Chromecast device? As in, "OK Google, play Metallica on my Living Room"? where Living room is a Sonos speaker? Would that work? Or does it only work with devices you can see in the Google Home app?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have converted to Sonos with Google Play, both at home and work. Any Sonos product that does not work with Google Play is a product I will not buy! These companies are going to have to learn it is better to play nice, each taking a slice of a very large pie. I am not going to chase services that are sandboxed, because then as tech changes, you will have to completely change your sandbox. with the cost of Sonos speakers, I am not going buy a whole new set of speakers that are compatible with Google, only to find I have to buy yet new speakers next year to be compatible with Apple or Amazon. Nor do I want to change music services every year.

Come on guys, figure this out!
Did you miss the announcement that Sonos has partnered with Google to bring Google Assistant voice control next year?
Userlevel 1
True, they announced it for next year but they follow the same timeline as when they announced the alexa integration then we'll see the google assistant integration in Dec/Nov 2018. I really hope that isn't the case though.
"SONOS NEVER KEEPS US INFORMED WHAT IS COMING!!! WHY CAN'T THEY TELL US WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON AHEAD OF TIME SO WE CAN MAKE OUR BUYING DECISIONS???"

"SONOS ANNOUNCED XXXXX WAS COMING MONTHS AGO!!! WHERE IS THE FUNCTIONALITY THAT WE WERE PROMISED???"

Damned if you do . . . :8

Oh, and Alexa support was announced to be coming in 2017. They released it 3 months before that deadline.
I think it's important to remember that Sonos is far from fully in control of the time line for these integrations. They need Google to perform development in certain areas, same as with Amazon. At the same time, they need to distribute development resources to the apps and functions with the Alexa integration. Not to mention whatever issues come in. And resources are limited.

I have no doubt that Sonos understands that sooner is better than later, and that fully featured is better than beta.
The actual integration of Google Play is very poor. Will the integration with Google Assistant voice control services be better?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why is it very poor?
I like the top 10 tracks from an artist on sonos, that is not on pc version of GPM.
Also sonos plays new release compilation albums, that the pc won't.
(Randomly) play all songs of an artist? Nope.
(Randomly) play all songs of a genre? Nope.
(Randomly) play all my favorites ("thumbs up")? Nope.
Search a song, an album or an artist? At least missing on iOS app.
What integration are you referring to? For example, the thumbs up can be loaded in the queue and randomly played via the Sonos app on my Android. Or from the native GPM app and cast to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I do get confused easily, but i thought in browse, artist tab, search name, list comes up from all sources, select GPM, then it will play all that artist's music (or it could be stations tab)
Badge
on Android you can stream to sonos speaker directly from the Google Play Music App without using the Sonos App. Sonos appears as a speaker already like a Google Audio or Video Cast
(Randomly) play all songs of an artist? Nope.
(Randomly) play all songs of a genre? Nope.
(Randomly) play all my favorites ("thumbs up")? Nope.
Search a song, an album or an artist? At least missing on iOS app.

All of these are possible. Don't know what you are doing wrong, but I'm able to do these easily.