Answered

Intermittent Alexa Voice Assistant.. Sonos Voice Control all OK!

Userlevel 2

Hi there!

Treated ourselves to a new Sonos Era 100 for Xmas and have been experiencing a frustrating issue with Alexa Voice Assistant as follows:

• Issue the wake up call ‘Alexa...’ and intermittently she will function as expected
  • Every now and then she wakes up, performs the task all OK
  • However randomly she will not let me respond and instead returns to the resting state
  • I can’t replicate this behaviour using the Sonos Voice Control only with the Alexa Voice Assistant, so can only assume this issue is specific to Alexa & Sonos and is not a hardware issue..

Also to confirm I have Amazon Echo products in the house working 100% fine with Alexa.

I have a video recording of the issue here:

Any ideas please?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 February 2024, 11:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

151 replies

Thanks you for the update. At least we know someone is looking to resolve the issue

Hello,

I am another user facing this problem. 

Even more, since I have two Era100 speakers setup (stereo pair).

Interesting thing is that Era300 speakers, placed at the same place or anywhere within my home (own 3 of them) never show this issue.

With Era 100, I am lucky not to have Alexa shut down just after the “listening chime” once in 4 or 5 trials - very flustrating….

maybe a hint / trick that helped in my case so everybody can try it out - in the sonos app → system → your Era100 Speaker/Room -->, cick on the “Amazon Alexa” under “Sprache” (in german version, I have to admit that the translation from English is really poor:), chose your speaker and unselect “Aktivierungswort-Ton”. Era100 does not play the voice assistent chime, but (at least up to now) works well each time.

Dear Sonos team,

it would be really cool to get a free sonos Era 300 speaker from you as a gift for finding out a quick fix for a problem you seem to fight with with no success for last half a year :)

Cheers to whole sonos community!

My voice assistant chime was already deselected, and selecting then deselecting makes no difference. Still got the problem. No free speaker for you I’m afraid!

ups, I am fraid you are right - it does not work again. 

What about replacing all Sonos Era 100 with Era 300 speakers by sonos team? Era 300 does not face this issue at all, so might be solution to all very patient sonos users :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Another one with this issue. The microphone/light shut off after saying Alexa before I can complete the voice command. Only a problem on my Era 100..

Userlevel 1

This is the response from the team/CEO to my request for clarification on the ERA 100/Alexa problem - ITALY
Hi Piero,

Thank you for contacting our CEO.

Your email has been forwarded to me. My name is Ryan and I'm one of the supervisors at Sonos.

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your system while trying Alexa. There is currently a problem with the Era100 and Alexa. As you said, the problem may not necessarily be with the service itself.

Our engineers are currently investigating the issue and are trying to find a fix which will be available via a software update. We can't say when the issue will be resolved as the team is still working on it. We could replace your speakers, however, the problems would still occur as it is highly likely to be a software issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards

Ryan A
Sonos | Supervisor | Contact us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

I have had an Era 100 since October 2023 and I am constantly battling with Alexa for it to work on a daily basis. You would have thought that this would have been resolved by now. I previously had a Sonos One (Gen 2) for several years previous and never encountered this problem.

Any help would be welcomed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Ok… perhaps I can tell some good news. 
Today I recognized that Alexa didn’t respond any longer at all. There was an Alexa app updates and a look into the app showed that the Era100 device couldn’t be found. Next was a look into Sonos app and there was a message to complete Alexa setup for Era100. 
So I did… and after all I can tell you „It just works!“ 😎

Seems that they got it fixed. 

Userlevel 1

From Italy I really think that the problem has been solved.

Do this uninstall alexa from sonos

From Alexa, uninstall the Sonos skill

Close all apps, then activate Alexa from the Sonos app.

Having done this I have been trying Alexa voice for a while and it hasn't missed a beat, it seems to be working.

Try it

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

So it seems the important step to do is completing or redoing the Alexa setup within Sonos app. And probably first installing the latest Alexa app update. 

Userlevel 1

So it seems the important step to do is completing or redoing the Alexa setup within Sonos app. And probably first installing the latest Alexa app update. 

Yes, I have done this and for quite some time I have been trying the Alexa voice continuously without closing the microphone

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@myllor 

Yes, same here. 😎👍🏻

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just tried my ERA-100, and looks promising 😀

ERA-100 responded every time.

I updated Alexa App on phone yesterday, ERA-100 was not working this morning. I have NOT done anything with Sonos/Alexa/Skill. ERA-100 appears to be working again this evening.

Some silent Amazon Alexa? update possibly has happened in background?

Could be on the Amazon side, to my knowledge there has been no firmware update in Sonos’ side. 

Userlevel 1

Could be on the Amazon side, to my knowledge there has been no firmware update in Sonos’ side. 

In fact it was an Alexa problem for Era 100

There was no update to Sonos firmware that I am aware of. I can’t speak to changes made on the Amazon server that the Era 100 is pointing to to process commands. 

WOO HOO… Alexa seems to be fixed, she’s responding first time, every time. Hopefully that’s it all fixed and no more frustration having to say the wake word 6 or 8 times to get it to respond 😃

Badge

I still encounter an issue with alexa. It always say: sorry, an error occured...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I still encounter an issue with alexa. It always say: sorry, an error occured...

That sounds like a different issue. Please try to reactivate the Sonos Alexa skill in Alexa app. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The issue happened 3 months ago, any news about it ? 

Userlevel 1

The issue happened 3 months ago, any news about it ? 

The Alexa issue has been resolved

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @drbabbers et al

We now consider this issue resolved. If you continue to see this issue, we recommend you ensure your Sonos system is up-to-date, and if so, to get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

We thank you for your patience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

And imho just more important be sure that your Alexa app is up to date. I think the big part of the fix was done on Amazons side. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just try and i confirm the resolution. Thanks