indpendent mini microphone array unit to control all old and new individual speaker and compnent units

• 9 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
While the new sonos one is a step in the right direction I gather the functionality probably is limited as most speakers are set up in acoustically strategic locations in any given room where it might be a bit far from your favorite lounge chair, the dining table or even your bed. Unless one lives in a sonically sterile environment or enjoy having a loud conversation it might be cumbersome except maybe for fitbit enthusiasts to rack up the steps to get within earshot of a given speaker in a given room. Also secondary problem of integrating voice control to existing\legacy speakers.

Sonos if you are listening I present my case, a miniature microphone array control device (like the echo dot\ google home mini) maybe smaller integrated with the boost which can be on your dining\coffee\center table and would accommodate a practical solution to not discount your loyal customer base over the years.

Think about it, will you!

PS- I own a play 5, 2 play 1's and a connect. Next addition, the Play base but mulling over the weight!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just use an echo dot? If Sonos were to build such a device with wireless communication and microphone array alone (minus BOOST functionality), it would probably cost at lest $50. Why wouldn't you and other customers just buy a Dot.

Just guessing at your motivation, besides what you stated, but you want this proposed device to be tied to a specific zone? So you don't have to specify the zone on each request? That wouldn' work, at least not the way Alexa works now. The new device would have to communicate directly to Alexa, since the legacy speakers can't talk to Alexa. The result is the sonos has essentially recreated the dot.

FYI, if you are thinking this device needs to be battery powered so that you can place it in the center of the room, there already are batteries for echo dots. They run around $30 or so. This is what I'll be using when I want to control the speakers outside...although probably use an Alexa remote as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I've heard this request once before, and I'm left with the same questions melvimbe has. I don't believe there's actually an underserved market here. Amazon routinely sells Dots below the $50 price, and it's believed they lose money on that full price. With Amazon and Google going toe-to-toe in the space, you'd expect prices to drop if it's remotely possible. I don't know how Sonos could realistically expect to worm there way in even if there would be some sales available.

Next addition, the Play base but mulling over the weight!

The weight of your TV or the Playbase? The Playbase itself is less than 20lbs. If you're thinking of a large, older TV then weight could be an issue on top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think the desire would be for it to be service-agnostic, like the Sonos One will be. If your choice in voice control services changes over time, you can easily tell it to use a different service, or have it use multiple services at once.

At the same time, this could also function similar to a Sonos Boost, helping to extend the Sonos mesh network if SonosNet is in use.
Well, the Boost costs $100. If you add in a mic, then I would think it would be $125 minimum. You could buy both a dot and google home mini for under that price. I think we are a long ways away from Apple allowing you to talk to Suri on a sonos device.

Not so much for Sonos, but I can see a lot of value in having cheap(er) mic only satellite devices for echos. So for rooms that are large, or maybe a backyard, you can place 2 or 3 mics throughout the area with one echo dot or speaker system replying to you. It would be really cool if they were wireless and battery powered.
Badge +1
I've heard this request once before, and I'm left with the same questions melvimbe has. I don't believe there's actually an underserved market here. Amazon routinely sells Dots below the $50 price, and it's believed they lose money on that full price. With Amazon and Google going toe-to-toe in the space, you'd expect prices to drop if it's remotely possible. I don't know how Sonos could realistically expect to worm there way in even if there would be some sales available.

Next addition, the Play base but mulling over the weight!

The weight of your TV or the Playbase? The Playbase itself is less than 20lbs. If you're thinking of a large, older TV then weight could be an issue on top.

Only an idea for the microphone. I was concerned about the weight of my TV was a big older model, I went with the Beam instead.
Badge +1
I think the desire would be for it to be service-agnostic, like the Sonos One will be. If your choice in voice control services changes over time, you can easily tell it to use a different service, or have it use multiple services at once.

At the same time, this could also function similar to a Sonos Boost, helping to extend the Sonos mesh network if SonosNet is in use.

My thoughts exactly. So your not tied to Alexa and the end production cost may be justified by bundling with the boost!
Badge +1
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just use an echo dot? If Sonos were to build such a device with wireless communication and microphone array alone (minus BOOST functionality), it would probably cost at lest $50. Why wouldn't you and other customers just buy a Dot.

Just guessing at your motivation, besides what you stated, but you want this proposed device to be tied to a specific zone? So you don't have to specify the zone on each request? That wouldn' work, at least not the way Alexa works now. The new device would have to communicate directly to Alexa, since the legacy speakers can't talk to Alexa. The result is the sonos has essentially recreated the dot.

FYI, if you are thinking this device needs to be battery powered so that you can place it in the center of the room, there already are batteries for echo dots. They run around $30 or so. This is what I'll be using when I want to control the speakers outside...although probably use an Alexa remote as well.

At the time when I posted this, the idea was not to be tied to Alexa alone and maybe the end production cost may be justified by bundling with the boost or the functionalities of a boost or bridge! Either ways mate was just an idea or a request as a patron\owner\collector!
I get that it would be nice to have mics that are microphone agnostic, but I still think dots/mini's are too cheap to make it worth the effort. Not to mention that dots/mini's are adding new features faster than Sonos can keep up (if they are even contractually allowed to keep up).

That said, I would like to see microphone units that tie directly to Sonos speakers AND respond fully through the speakers. Right now dots will respond using their own speakers, even when set with Sonos as preferred speakers. The use case is pretty similar as you describe. I can hear the Sonos speakers just fine, but can't hear the tiny dot responses very well.

My particular case is for outdoor use. I have 4 echo dots in my backyard in strategic locations, all set with my outdoor speakers (w/Sonos amp) as the preffered speaker. It hears me ok when I'm relative close to one of the dots, but audio from the dots is terrible in an outdoor environment. However, I imagine my case is pretty rare, particularly since dots aren't even designed for outdoor use like that.