Answered

How can I convince my Sonos that I'm in the US?

• 4 August 2019
  • 9 replies

I live in Guam, which IS A US TERRITORY. We are governed by all US Federal laws, and residents of Guam are US citizens. When I try to set up Voice support, it tells me "Not available in your country." Really? My country is the US.

Mind you, this problem is not unique to Sonos. I recently switched my business to an Office 365 platform, and I kid you not, Microsoft absolutely would not charge me in US dollars. They insisted on charging me Australian dollars, even though we are absolutely part of the US and we use exclusively US dollars as our currency.

This should be a REALLY simple problem, Computer People! Set your system to "US Territories = US." Why is that so hard? Google can find my IP address on a map, down to within about 100 meters, so I'm pretty sure they can figure out that I'm in the US.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 4 August 2019, 10:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why not contact Sonos Support and ask them to look at your account? Sonos does offer 24x7 support on the contact page as well as e-mail and phone support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I live in Guam, which IS A US TERRITORY. We are governed by all US Federal laws, and residents of Guam are US citizens. When I try to set up Voice support, it tells me "Not available in your country." Really? My country is the US.

Mind you, this problem is not unique to Sonos. I recently switched my business to an Office 365 platform, and I kid you not, Microsoft absolutely would not charge me in US dollars. They insisted on charging me Australian dollars, even though we are absolutely part of the US and we use exclusively US dollars as our currency.

This should be a REALLY simple problem, Computer People! Set your system to "US Territories = US." Why is that so hard? Google can find my IP address on a map, down to within about 100 meters, so I'm pretty sure they can figure out that I'm in the US.

First, can you open https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/ and check that your address is correct? Then open the Alexa App>Devices>[Your Sonos One] and check that the Device Location is correct?
Why not contact Sonos Support and ask them to look at your account? Sonos does offer 24x7 support on the contact page as well as e-mail and phone support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jason is a good guy, sorry he didn't have a magic wand to wave for you but at least there is hope.

Thanks for posting his reply, it will likely help someone else.

Now for a sneaky solution that may work, a VPN tied back to a site in the US. Get one with a free trial period and see if it will work for you. You will need to connect both Sonos and your Controller to the VPN and not your local network so it thinks it is located in Boston or wherever your VPN endpoint is.

I hope you get it working, my (short) visits to Guam did not impress me as it being a prime tourist destination and it was about as hot as here but moister.
When Google Assistant was rolled out in the US but not in Europe, many people here got it to work by just changing their Sonos account to US.
Sorry for suggesting something so simple, maybe you've already tried it, but I didn't see it mentioned, so I thought I'd add it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
When Google Assistant was rolled out in the US but not in Europe, many people here got it to work by just changing their Sonos account to US.
Sorry for suggesting something so simple, maybe you've already tried it, but I didn't see it mentioned, so I thought I'd add it.

You would need to change the Sonos Profile Address and also your Amazon Account address for this to work (Or create a second Amazon account just for this use and link to your Sonos account)

Believe it or not, this ended up being even simpler than that: I had originally set my account up through the iPhone app, which kind of forced me down a particular pathway for identifying my location, but after this conversation, I went to the site recommended by UKMedia above (https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/), and checked my profile. It turns out that they have Guam listed as a COUNTRY, which is how my account originally got set up, but I was able to change the profile to "United States" and then, when it asked (during setup) for an address, I simply selected my zip code (it would not recognize my street address), which shows me to be in "Barrigada, GU," with GU being the "state" code for Guam. Voila! (I don't actually live in Barrigada, but that's close enough.)

Now, if Sonos would simply eliminate Guam as one of the choices for "Country," then this confusion would not arise. At this point, though, I'm just happy that I got it to work. Now I just need to figure out how to use it... 🙄
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Now I just need to figure out how to use it... 🙄

This should be fairly useful: https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great news 🙂