Answered

Hey Sonos, any plans for Alexa Apple Music Support in Uk?

• 4 October 2017
  • 13 replies

Badge +1
Hey, I suspect that commercial issues might prevent this, given the Apple and Amazon mix, but can you confirm whether there are any plans to extend the Alexa functionality to have Apple Music as a default library?
I know I can start Apple Music using the app, but I wonder whether it will be possible to set it as the default streaming service in the Sonos Alexa skill in future?

Great job with the app btw!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 4 October 2017, 21:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 4
If this is Amazon Music only that makes it the most disappointing introduction of a most-wanted feature of all time.
Hi there, SteveBM:

Thanks for the feedback on the app. I'll In regards to the question on plans to extend Alexa functionality to Apple Music, I would forward that feedback directly to Amazon. They are still the main point of contact in regards to future functionality with Amazon Alexa. Defaults for Alexa are all handled inside the Amazon Alexa app itself.

Hope you found this helpful.
Badge +1
Hi there, SteveBM:

Thanks for the feedback on the app. I'll In regards to the question on plans to extend Alexa functionality to Apple Music, I would forward that feedback directly to Amazon. They are still the main point of contact in regards to future functionality with Amazon Alexa. Defaults for Alexa are all handled inside the Amazon Alexa app itself.

Hope you found this helpful.

Thanks Keith, I will do that. Doesn’t sound too promising though!
If this is Amazon Music only that makes it the most disappointing introduction of a most-wanted feature of all time.
As of right now, you can choose a few other options for defaults outside of Amazon Music. For instance, when I go into the options I see Pandora, TuneIn and iHeartRadio as other options for Music Service defaults outside of Amazon Prime Music. This is determined by the Music Services compatible with Amazon Alexa.
Really all this time waiting and I can not even use Apple Music? I understand it is not all you guys but we need this stuff. what about Siri compatibility?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Really all this time waiting and I can not even use Apple Music? I understand it is not all you guys but we need this stuff. what about Siri compatibility?

Siri and Google Assistant functionality have both been mentioned as in the pipeline from news reports from yesterday.
I have been waiting for Alexa integration with Sonos for a year, and now find out that it only works with Amazon music making it useless. What a disappointment.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have been waiting for Alexa integration with Sonos for a year, and now find out that it only works with Amazon music making it useless. What a disappointment.
Logically Alexa would only initially work with services that Amazon support through their Echo devices and Alexa skills.

However Sonos have indicated that other services will be supported; this is only a Beta (test) version!
I have been waiting for Alexa integration with Sonos for a year, and now find out that it only works with Amazon music making it useless. What a disappointment.Glad to be the bearer of good news. As I stated earlier, Amazon Alexa integration in Sonos also supports TuneIn, SiriusXM, Pandora and iHeartRadio. Other services may become available over time, as this is a joint effort with Amazon. Check out the steps to add these accounts here.

This is a helpful article as well.
Put another one in the super disappointed camp. 95% of our music listening comes through Apple Music. So This Alexa addition (for which I have eagerly been waiting for a year) proves to be pretty useless. Handy to pause the music and change volume but a massive disappointment vs our expectations. Doesn’t sound like it is coming soon either. Switching music service is just too much effort after the hours and hours of playlist creation we have done.

Oh well. Guess I will put the echo dots back in their boxes.
Well to find this out is rubbish. Just paid £200 for something that doesn’t work in the way I expected. I feel a refund coming.
The way I get round this to some extent is by using IFTTT (If This Then That) - you can set up a skill triggered by Alexa to play any of your Sonos favourites in a specific room / grouped rooms. So, for example, I can say ‘Alexa Trigger cats’ and it will play ‘Music For Cats’* from Apple Music in the Kitchen.

*Other albums are available
Put another one in the super disappointed camp. 95% of our music listening comes through Apple Music. So This Alexa addition (for which I have eagerly been waiting for a year) proves to be pretty useless. Handy to pause the music and change volume but a massive disappointment vs our expectations. Doesn’t sound like it is coming soon either. Switching music service is just too much effort after the hours and hours of playlist creation we have done.

Oh well. Guess I will put the echo dots back in their boxes.
Why are you using Amazon Echo devices to play your Apple music when you could have purchased one of the Sonos AirPlayers and used Siri voice control instead?

If you buy or own one of these...
Sonos One
Beam
PlayBase
Play:5 (gen 2)
New Sonos Amp (coming soon)

Then you can register any of these devices in Apple HomeKit as an accessory (like a HomePod Speaker) and then ask Siri to play any of your Apple Music to those speakers or any other type of Sonos Speaker that is 'Grouped' with one of the devices listed.

Of course you can also use Alexa to control a speaker queue aswell, but you have to create that queue manually to begin with, but the Siri-control option is surely the 'first port of call' if you are just an Apple Music subscriber.