Getting Ready for Sonos One

• 2 October 2017
  • 80 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

If you’re as excited about the new Sonos One as we are, you’ll want to make sure you’re ready to go the moment you pick it up on the 24th. Here’s everything you need to know to be all prepped for the release of the Sonos One.

1. On your mobile device, download the Amazon Alexa app from the Apple app store or Google Play. This app is going to be used to control some basic Alexa services, such as picking a default music service from the Alexa supported services.
  2. Create an Amazon account, if you don’t have one yet. Just click Sign In and Start here where it asks if you’re a new user.
  3. Update all your Sonos devices to version 8.0 by checking for updates inside the Sonos app.

That’s it! You’ll be ready to go the moment your Sonos One gets to your home. If you’d like to read more about Alexa and Sonos, check out this page on using other Alexa enabled devices with Sonos, and this one too on How Alexa Works With Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

80 replies

Right; as I also read on the Sonos One promotion materials.

But then I also read this by Sonos as to how it works:

"Your Amazon Alexa devices are listening for you to say the wake word, “Alexa”. When they hear that word, the microphones record what you say and send the audio to the Amazon Alexa cloud to be translated.

That voice line turns into a string of text. The Amazon protocols determine if it’s meant for Amazon Alexa or for a Sonos player. If it’s for Sonos, that text is then sent directly, and securely, over to the Sonos cloud to be turned into a command using our own codes.

Finally, the Sonos intended command goes down to the system."

So how does this square with say, ordering Uber on Sonos One? Does that mean that for such and all other such cases, the Amazon Alexa cloud communicates responses directly to the Sonos One as well?

Logic would say that non-Sonos specific command would be processed in the Amazon Alexa cloud and the responses sent back to the Sonos One, and the Sonos One would process them just like any other Alexa enabled device.
In that case, a follow up: When using a Dot + Play 1, are voiced responses from Amazon for non Sonos related matters heard on the play 1? Or from the speaker in the Dot?
In that case, a follow up: When using a Dot + Play 1, are voiced responses from Amazon for non Sonos related matters heard on the play 1? Or from the speaker in the Dot?

On the Dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, will other Alexa commands work on the Sonos One without the Sonos skill, i'm not interested in Sonos voice control.

To be clear, I currently have an Echo Dot in my living room, no Sonos. I was planning to get a Play:1 for the living room so was wondering whether the Sonos One could be used to replace the Dot.

Sonos One was designed with having the Alexa skill for Sonos enabled in mind. I've tested it out and the Sonos One does work fine with the skill disabled, you just can't use voice to control playback on your Sonos devices for things that aren't covered by standard Alexa functionality.

Because it's not an intended use, the functionality here isn't really tested, so the quality of how Sonos One performs with the Alexa skill for Sonos disabled might not be perfect. But from what I've found it seems fine so far.

There are a few things that the Sonos One can't do which are Echo only feature, like the drop in and messaging abilities. Those only work on Amazon Echo devices at the moment, not the Sonos One. I'm not sure if that helps make up your mind though. Also, ducking performs differently on the Sonos One compared with how the integration works with other Alexa devices.

@Kumar, to your question about using the Sonos One with other apps, it'll work just like any other Amazon device. The command is only sent to the Sonos cloud when it's determined that the command was meant for Sonos. So if you ask your One to order you a car, that doesn't go to our servers, it'll go right on through to how Amazon would normally handle that request. Then Alexa would respond through your Sonos One.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
There are a few things that the Sonos One can't do which are Echo only feature, like the drop in and messaging abilities. Those only work on Amazon Echo devices at the moment, not the Sonos One. I'm not sure if that helps make up your mind though.

What about the Alexa calling feature?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Because it's not an intended use, the functionality here isn't really tested, so the quality of how Sonos One performs with the Alexa skill for Sonos disabled might not be perfect. But from what I've found it seems fine so far.

Also, ducking performs differently on the Sonos One compared with how the integration works with other Alexa devices.

Thanks. Does it only 'duck' the Sonos One rather than all units?

@Kumar, to your question about using the Sonos One with other apps, it'll work just like any other Amazon device. The command is only sent to the Sonos cloud when it's determined that the command was meant for Sonos. So if you ask your One to order you a car, that doesn't go to our servers, it'll go right on through to how Amazon would normally handle that request. Then Alexa would respond through your Sonos One.

Thanks for that. A follow up: Seeing how a configured Dot+Play unit is functionally similar to the Sonos One, why won't non Sonos responses be heard via the play unit? I believe these are heard through the barely adequate Dot speakers. Deliberate, or something to change in the future?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Does anyone know when the Sonos One will start shipping? I have ordered 4 and it said that they will be delivered by 24th...so surly shipping must start soon as assume they will be sent from a central European hub and not based in the UK which is where i am?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are a few things that the Sonos One can't do which are Echo only feature, like the drop in and messaging abilities. Those only work on Amazon Echo devices at the moment, not the Sonos One. I'm not sure if that helps make up your mind though.

What about the Alexa calling feature?

Calling is part of the drop in and messaging that is Echo only right now.

Also, ducking performs differently on the Sonos One compared with how the integration works with other Alexa devices.

Current behaviour has only that room ducking.

Thanks for that. A follow up: Seeing how a configured Dot+Play unit is functionally similar to the Sonos One, why won't non Sonos responses be heard via the play unit? I believe these are heard through the barely adequate Dot speakers. Deliberate, or something to change in the future?

There isn't really a Dot+PLAY:1 configuration. I know you haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but basically you'd have a Dot in your home. Then you could tell that Dot to issue commands to any of your Sonos devices, at any time. There's no configuration where you tell the Dot that it is now paired or linked with a PLAY:1. There may come a day where something like this is possible, but it's not something I have any details on that can be shared, or rumored.

Does anyone know when the Sonos One will start shipping? I have ordered 4 and it said that they will be delivered by 24th...so surly shipping must start soon as assume they will be sent from a central European hub and not based in the UK which is where i am?
You'll probably have it in your hands on the 24th, maybe even sooner.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Current behaviour has only that room ducking.

That's good, thanks!! That reply just stopped me from cancelling my order :D

There would still be the problem of my Echo Dot, in a room with no Sonos, ducking every Sonos in the house when someone want to know the time or turn the lights on 😛 Would it be possible to only allow the Sonos skill to be executed from the Sonos One, and not from Echo's?
Userlevel 2
Could I pair 2 Sonos One with the Playbar to get 5.1 Sound? Was thinking about expanding my living room sound with two additional Play:1 but now with the new One models I think about buying those.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ryan do you know the shipping company for UK deliveries? I can see payment has been taken now but no update on tracking?
I can’t find anywhere that the wake word can be changed on the Sonos One - has anyone been able to?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I can’t find anywhere that the wake word can be changed on the Sonos One - has anyone been able to?

Same here, stuck with Alexa. Is yours working other than that? Mine won't play anything and other skills don't work.
Yes fine apart from that
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Would it be possible to only allow the Sonos skill to be executed from the Sonos One, and not from Echo's?
Maybe some day. There's lots of work being done on Alexa and Sonos. That integration will keep on getting better.

Ryan do you know the shipping company for UK deliveries? I can see payment has been taken now but no update on tracking?
I believe it's DHL in the UK. But you should have the details as of today. It should be delivered tomorrow I believe unless there are any shipping issues.

Currently, only Alexa, but as with my first answer, things will improve over time. You might see more wake words in the future. (Nope, no spoilers on that).

Same here, stuck with Alexa. Is yours working other than that? Mine won't play anything and other skills don't work.

To start with, disabling end re-enabling the skill is a great first step. If you're having trouble, I'd suggest giving us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 3
I'm not seeing a lot of positive feedback on these boards regarding Alexa and Sonos One but personally I have had no issues setting up my dots a couple of weeks ago and my new Sonos One today. All went smoothly and is working perfectly. Yes the 'ducking' can be annoying if you are listening and the kids ask Alexa something in another room and I can see why the current lack of Spotify integration is both surprising and possibly a misfire by Sonos but, within the current limitations of the beta release, I ask Alexa for something and she delivers.
I'm not denying that people are having difficulties. I have had echos pretty much since release and I know they can be buggy but a lot of people seem to be expecting things from the integration that were never stated or they have not done any research before laying down their money.
So, if only for the sake of balance, well done Sonos on a good beta release and I look forward to developments in future releases.
Now about that white background on the app.......
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I'm not seeing a lot of positive feedback on these boards regarding Alexa and Sonos One ... well done Sonos on a good beta release

Where were we told that the Sonos One, a reasonably pricey piece of hardware, was a beta release? Hardware on sale in dealers is not usually in a beta state.

Where were we told that the Sonos One, a reasonably pricey piece of hardware, was a beta release? Hardware on sale in dealers is not usually in a beta state.

The beta release has nothing to do with hardware. The beta release is the Alexa Sonos skill, as stated here in the Alexa skill announcement, stickied to the top of the Announcements page:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

A beta Sonos skill for Alexa is available to use today. For step by step instructions, take a look here.

In short, update to Sonos 8.0. Then, search for and add the Alexa Skill for Sonos in the Alexa app. Sign in through Alexa to your system and authenticate with Sonos and Amazon. Finally, discover devices on Alexa and you’ll be ready to go.
Meanwhile, Apple tries to keep up. :D

Don’t get too excited. The Sonos One is buggy as hell and I doubt the HomePod will be. It will also have better sound quality than the Sonos One.
Plus speakers are just another product to Apple not their only product.
I got two Sonos Ones but even the things they say work fail repeatedly. They better get an update out fast.
Do you not see all the complaints here?

The beta release has nothing to do with hardware. The beta release is the Alexa Sonos skill, as stated here in the Alexa skill announcement, stickied to the top of the Announcements page:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

A beta Sonos skill for Alexa is available to use today. For step by step instructions, take a look here.

In short, update to Sonos 8.0. Then, search for and add the Alexa Skill for Sonos in the Alexa app. Sign in through Alexa to your system and authenticate with Sonos and Amazon. Finally, discover devices on Alexa and you’ll be ready to go.

You are really splitting hairs. There is a difference between Sonos integration from an echo device to Sonos and a Sonos device. They even say on the Sonos One page it does everything Alexa does.
Badge
Just go my Sonos one and I can't seem to set up my wireless. After inputting my network name, it doesn't do anything.
Hello- I'm a brand new Sonos One owner that I got for Christmas... I have a question about the Alexa integration. Does the Sonos One have the ability take Alexa Routine commands? I tried setting up a couple of basic routines (such as providing weather update + traffic update + news flash) using a "Alexa, Good Morning" command, but when I speak to my Sonos One, nothing happens. It senses that I spoke to it, but just stays quiet.

I checked on your website the list of Alexa commands that are not currently supported on the One, and did not see Routines on that list. Can you confirm whether it it currently supported or not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi jmbgator, the Sonos One can start a routine, but right now Sonos players can't be included in it. For example, if your routine turned on your lights and opened your blinds, you could say "Alexa, Good Morning" to the Sonos One and it would do those things. But the Sonos One can't provide those audio options like playing the flash briefing as part of a routine.
I have a new Sonos one in Hong Kong. I can't seem to get Alexa running. I have the Alexa app installed on my tablet. Sonos says Alexa not available but I have it so how to link?