Getting Ready for Sonos One

• 2 October 2017
  • 80 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

If you’re as excited about the new Sonos One as we are, you’ll want to make sure you’re ready to go the moment you pick it up on the 24th. Here’s everything you need to know to be all prepped for the release of the Sonos One.

1. On your mobile device, download the Amazon Alexa app from the Apple app store or Google Play. This app is going to be used to control some basic Alexa services, such as picking a default music service from the Alexa supported services.
  2. Create an Amazon account, if you don’t have one yet. Just click Sign In and Start here where it asks if you’re a new user.
  3. Update all your Sonos devices to version 8.0 by checking for updates inside the Sonos app.

That’s it! You’ll be ready to go the moment your Sonos One gets to your home. If you’d like to read more about Alexa and Sonos, check out this page on using other Alexa enabled devices with Sonos, and this one too on How Alexa Works With Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

80 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have been a Sonos User for several years but never an Echo user. I have a few questions :

My Setup
POOL - Connect Amp with outdoor Bose speakers
LIVING - Playbar
MASTERS - Play1
KIDS - Play 1

I have ordered an Amazon Echo Dot to try out the Alexa integration. It hasn't arrived yet. I am also assuming the Echo Dot does not need to be installed by wire (echo dot line out to connect amp line in). It just needs to be wirelessly connected to the same wifi net work. Assuming the echo dot is connected in the living room area, where the playbar is located...

My questions:
1) If I am in the living room, can alexa control other areas (pool, masters, kids) ?
2) If I am in the POOL, can I use the smartphone app alexa to control the other areas ?
3) If I install a SONOS ONE in the MASTERS room, can I control other areas ?
You can send music via voice control to any Sonos device, by name, from any Alexa device within earshot.
Badge
1) Yes. Anything Alexa can do with Sonos it can do either any Sonos on your network. However there are limitations on what Alexa can do.

2) If you are in the pool, hopefully your Smartphone is water proof. But to answer your question, when you're going to be controlling Sonos with your phone it's probably better to use the Sonos app rather than the Alexa app.

3) The Sonos One basically in a Echo with Sonos speakers built in, so yes it can control any Sonos speakers as much as any Echo can.
Badge +2
I've read every post posted and I have some questions that I hope can be definitively answered:
1. Can the Sonos One access libraries on a home NAS or computer?
2. Am I correct in believing that SONOS One is more flexible that SONOS via Echo in terms of music choices?
3. Does the SONOS One also function as an Alexa device (like the dot, etc.), where non-SONOS functions, Alexa, what's the weather outside?, function? Or is the SONOS One purely a SONOS music playing device?
4. Where is there instructions/literature specifying the SONOS ONE functional commands, such as how to make what other apps call scenes (play "downstairs"), grouping SONOS Players?
5. Does it show differences between SONOS One and using the Echo solution?
6. For those of us who use the Connect Amp or Soundbar or Bass, or 3's or 5's, is there a way to get the functionality of the SONOS One (many more services) today?
Thanks,
1. Not at this time.
2. Nothing points to that belief. Service support is through the Sonos skill in the cloud, not the hardware.
3. Yes, but there are some functions that will not work. Listen in is the one mentioned specifically.
4. Grouping or scenes are not supported in the beta at this time.
5. See 4.
6. See 1 & 2.
Wait. Allow me to amend that answer slightly, please.

1) Yes, they can, but have to be initiated from a controller at this point, not voice control. This is a function of the system, not the speaker itself.
Badge
Of course I don't actually have a Sonos Play One yet, all documents so far agree with the previous answer. Anything that a Sonos Play:1 can do, the new Sonos Play One can do, when initiated from the controller app. This includes playing from your personal library and grouping, etc.

However at this stage in the game those specific tasks cannot be done by voice (Alexa).
Another question:
Will SONOS be adding Alexa capability into the Connect and Connect Amp or will it be limited ONLY to the SONOS 1?
Another question:
Will SONOS be adding Alexa capability into the Connect and Connect Amp or will it be limited ONLY to the SONOS 1?

"Alexa capability" meaning microphones that are able to hear Alexa, or simply being able to control the Sonos unit via an Alexa device like an Echo or Dot? Because the latter is available right now on every Sonos unit ever sold, including the Connects.
I mean voice recognition (Alexa capability) actually built into (microphone installed) the Connect or Connect Amp like it's built into the new SONOS 1
Badge
The new Sonos with built in microphones for Alexa (and other use) is the Sonos One, not to be confused with the Sonos Play:1. It is an entirely new product.
Yes, I understand the SONOS 1 is a new product, Thanks. My question is will SONOS be making OTHER new products with microphones included? For example will there be new iterations of the Connect and Connect Amp with microphones built in ("SONOS Connect") and ("SONOS Connect Amp")? Will there be new iterations of existing products with microphones installed of the Play 3 ("SONOS 3") and Play 5 ("SONOS 5") and PlayBar ("SONOS Bar") and PlayBase ("SONOS Base")
Just to be ultra clear, it's the Sonos One. Not Sonos 1. I think the naming is to clearly differentiate it from the PLAY:1.

No, there's been no announcement yet about further products with the array of microphones. I'd assume that if they wanted to get such a thing out by Christmas, it would have been announced already. My assumption would be that if such a plan exists, it would be well in to next year.
I agree. It seems to me that the cheapest and most logical entry point would be a single SONOS ONE in any new or existing system. At some point having ALL of there products fitted with microphones would allow a customer to determine the "best" location for this functionality to be accessed from. It seems to me that no one would actually REPLACE any of their existing components with it microphone enhanced unit, but rather to buy an Amazon product and integrate it into their existing system.

In any event, I won't be purchasing ANY voice recognition system until it can easily support the Deezer Elite music service and my music library on my NAS.

SONOS builds great products so I'll just wait and see. They are off to a good start.
ok, i have all my apps on version 8 but it doesnt let me add my sonos 1 to the system
ok, i have all my apps on version 8 but it doesnt let me add my sonos 1 to the system

Sonos One's are not supposed to be sold until Oct. 24. A couple stores let them leak out too soon, and Sonos told those folks the update to add those will not be released until the 24th.
I agree. It seems to me that the cheapest and most logical entry point would be a single SONOS ONE in any new or existing system. At some point having ALL of there products fitted with microphones would allow a customer to determine the "best" location for this functionality to be accessed from. It seems to me that no one would actually REPLACE any of their existing components with it microphone enhanced unit, but rather to buy an Amazon product and integrate it into their existing system.

A couple points on that. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add mics to the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP, since they don't even have their own speakers. They are much more designed to be out of the way. As for the other devices, I can see it as a possibility. The Sonos:One is supposed to be better than the P:1 so perhaps there wouldn't be much market for the P:3 with mics. I can see where it's a possibly for the P:5, but again, is there much of a market for that? Perhaps you don't add that till the product is do for a 'full rehaul' anyway.

As far as the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE, I don't know that you want your mic that close to your tv. And how do you want it reacting when it's currently playing the tv source? Personally, I would rather 'solve' that problem by talking to Alexa through the fire tv. Actually, I'm hoping Amazon creates a version of the firetv with both a mic and carmera built in so that your tv essentially becomes a giant version of the Echo Show. Since that isn't coming this year, I kinda doubt that's in the works.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Ryan, will other Alexa commands work on the Sonos One without the Sonos skill, i'm not interested in Sonos voice control.
I wouldn't think so. Alexa commands rely on the Alexa cloud to process the commands. The processing power is not on the Sonos One, it's on Amazon's servers.
For anyone wanting Alexa but not Sonos voice control, the no brainer is buying the Amazon hardware that suits, staring from the Dot, with Dot+Alexa enabled Sonos offering both sets of features or only one set, as desired.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Ryan, will other Alexa commands work on the Sonos One without the Sonos skill, i'm not interested in Sonos voice control.

To be clear, I currently have an Echo Dot in my living room, no Sonos. I was planning to get a Play:1 for the living room so was wondering whether the Sonos One could be used to replace the Dot.
The safe thing to do - assuming that you don't need to pair it with a play 1 already there - is to get a Sonos One.

I am pretty sure that it will not replace the Dot in non Sonos voice control applications, and so the Dot will not be replaced for the many other things it does. But the One does not cost more than a play1, so why get a play 1?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Thanks, but can we let Ryan answer the question rather than clutter it up with speculation
The safe thing to do - assuming that you don't need to pair it with a play 1 already there - is to get a Sonos One.

I am pretty sure that it will not replace the Dot in non Sonos voice control applications, and so the Dot will not be replaced for the many other things it does. But the One does not cost more than a play1, so why get a play 1?

Not true. The vast majority of Alexa functions will work on the Sonos One. There are only a couple Echo specific applications, specifically the Drop In function, that will not work.
Right; as I also read on the Sonos One promotion materials.

But then I also read this by Sonos as to how it works:

"Your Amazon Alexa devices are listening for you to say the wake word, “Alexa”. When they hear that word, the microphones record what you say and send the audio to the Amazon Alexa cloud to be translated.

That voice line turns into a string of text. The Amazon protocols determine if it’s meant for Amazon Alexa or for a Sonos player. If it’s for Sonos, that text is then sent directly, and securely, over to the Sonos cloud to be turned into a command using our own codes.

Finally, the Sonos intended command goes down to the system."

So how does this square with say, ordering Uber on Sonos One? Does that mean that for such and all other such cases, the Amazon Alexa cloud communicates responses directly to the Sonos One as well?