Answered

Drop in on Alexa

• 19 December 2018
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 2
I have the sonos play 1 with Alexa and wanted to use the drop in feature to call the echo dots around the house but can't seem to find this on the menu for the sonos has anyone got this working or is it not available if so will it be added to an update soon?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 December 2018, 23:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, Hgvfhedg. Echo features such as: calling, messaging and drop in, are not currently supported on Sonos. If this changes, we will be sure to post an announcement here on the Community. In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for visibility. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Pretty please! I have sonos one with Alexis and can’t buy more Alexis devices to have this feature. Should be an added skill with “Alexis”
Userlevel 2
I am also very interested in this feature. Please consider allowing the drop in and calling feature for Sonos devices.

Regards,
Samuel
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please add me to the list requesting the "Drop In" skill be added. Calls might be asking a lot, I know but drop in seems to stay inside the Alexa infrastructure. I have LOTS of Sonos gear and don't want or plan to purchase distinct Alexa devices, so I depend on you, Sonos to cover those bases. Please...
Userlevel 2
agreed - this is a BIG miss and should be represented more clearly by Sonos. Partial Alexa integration would be a better description. Now I think I will need to disable the Alexa feature and keep my old echo around for this purpose. I could have saved $100 and just went with the base Sonos model without Alexa.
Userlevel 1
I bought Sonos Sound Beam 2 weeks ago and my the biggest disappointment of my purchase is the drop in feature not being available on your product. I did a lot of research on what product I wanted to buy and I picked your product. The quality of the product was my 1st reason why, but Alexa certified was the 2nd. How can a product be certified if all features are not available? Please consider adding this feature on your next update.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I use calling and "find my phone" features a lot. It is very annoying to not be able to use this in my Alexa Sonos rooms.
Userlevel 1

Any update on this. Would be a very useful feature to have

So saying it has all features of a smart speaker isn’t true  false advertisement also in the store I was told it dose everything the same as Alexa.

I get your point, but saying it has “all the benefits of a smart speaker” is not the same thing as saying it can do everything than an echo can do it.  “Smart speaker” is much more generic , as is “benefits”.  Technically, all the sonos speakers are smart speakers since smart speaker does not mean voice control.  Sonos speakers were classified as smart speakers before echos were even sold, although I think the definition has changed to require voice assistant. 

In general, marketing material is designed to get you to want to buy the product, not to be perfectly clear on everything that the product can and can’t do.  I try and avoid making any assumptions and look into more details, ask questions, when there is a particular function I’m interested in that isn’t clearly documented.

Great feature to add if Amazon lets you!

Userlevel 1

I just set up a new One & OneSL as stereo pair to replace an Echo Dot, only to find that Drop In doesn't work. This is a must-have feature in that room as it is remote from the rest of the house. Seems I have to disable Alexa on Sonos One altogether to have the Dot continue to work alongside, which is totally pointless! May well return the Sonos One and stick with OneSL + Dot. Very disappointing! Any plans to implement Drop In?

Is this a limitation from Amazon or due to development priority from Sonos?

Please Implement Drop in on the Sonos Beam plus the Gen 2 does not make sense why some of the commands ie Alexa are not available.

Is this a limitation from Amazon or due to development priority from Sonos?

Nobody knows, and Sonos isn’t telling.

Please add Alexa drop in or I may have to drop my Sonos. It was understood that I could use it same way I use echo devices

C’mon, Sonos. Either fix this or let your community know what the hold up is. Promoting Sonos products as “all the benefits of a smart speaker” is kinda BS if you can’t do things like Drop-in. Ridiculous that I’ve gotta buy an Echo dot and stick it right next to a Sonos One just to add this feature. 

Here’s another vote for Drop In functionality on Sonos. I have the Sonos One which replaced an Echo, but I am missing the ease of drop in.

Is there room for another voice in the chorus of voices calling for this to be fixed?  I just bought my son a Sonos One precisely to make use of the Drop In feature.  If I knew that Alexa only had limited functionality I might have “just” got him a Play 1, or let him get the Bluetooth speakers he originally wanted.

Alexa is NOT “built-in” to Sonos Ohe - it’s some kind of impaired digital relative that is actually built-in. Sad and misleading. 

It’s odd that you can use announcements but not the drop in feature.  If there is a Sonos moderator, it would be helpful to “hear” from you.

Please add me to that list 

Agreed. That's a massively disappointing oversight on what is otherwise a great product.  However, Drop In is not a gimmick, for some its essential.  

Sonos, please update us as to when this is going to be rectified.

I am a Sonos early adopter and love the products for music. Very disappointing that the Alexa drop in feature is not supported.  I bought this for my son’s room to upgrade his music experience from an echo dot.  I use the drop feature on the echo dot all the time.  Any updates if this will ever be supported?  

Another disappointed customer here, who is desperately hoping for Drop in for Alexa to be added to the Sonos one and Beam please.

I do notice that they have added a disclaimer to the marketing material now though, I hope this isn’t a sign that it will never come.

No support for Alexa Routines, Drop In, calling and messaging features

I actually purchased two One SL's and returned them to purchase then One's with Alexa for the sole purpose of having the integration for drop in and announcements as our house is spread out. Such sham! They need to correct this ASAP or stop advertising as full Alexa integration.