Answered

Does the existing Sonos work with Alexa

• 4 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge
I have been told since the anoucment that my investment in Sonos would include Amazon Echo features. Unless I am missing something Sonos has stated that all of my Sonos One are obsolete and I will need to purchase new Sonos Ones if I want Amazon Echo features. Am I missing something? Is this what I just read? Please tell me that my existing Sonos Ones are upgradable?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 October 2017, 22:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I think you're confusing the PLAY:1 (which you have) versus the Sonos One, which isn't out yet.

If you have an Amazon Alexa device already in your home, you can control all of your Sonos speakers right now, using it. You do not have to replace your PLAY:1s with the Sonos One in order to do so.

I happen to have 2 dots and an Echo that I use to control my older PLAY:1s, PLAY:3s and a random PLAY:5 gen 1. No extra Sonos purchase necessary.
Badge
Yes, you are correct I have Play:1’s. When I read about the new Sonos One in haste I incorrectly stated Sonos One instead of Play:1. Last time I checked there was no update for the Play:1 Connect, or Connect Amp that had direct access to Amazon Echo devices. Another words there were folks using the 3.5 mm cables and a inbetween software application on their PC’s. Neither of these solutions were applicable for what I was looking for as far as intergration from all of my Echo devices to all of my Sonos devices. Has that changed now? Is there a solution? Thanks for your help!!
Yes, you are correct I have Play:1’s. When I read about the new Sonos One in haste I incorrectly stated Sonos One instead of Play:1. Last time I checked there was no update for the Play:1 Connect, or Connect Amp that had direct access to Amazon Echo devices. Another words there were folks using the 3.5 mm cables and a inbetween software application on their PC’s. Neither of these solutions were applicable for what I was looking for as far as intergration from all of my Echo devices to all of my Sonos devices. Has that changed now? Is there a solution? Thanks for your help!!

I suggest reading the following thread (and the links therein):

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

Also, this blog:

http://blog.sonos.com/en/alexa-meet-sonos/
Badge
Thank you for the link. Updated to Sonos 8.0 and installed the Sonos Beta Alexa Skill. Works like a champ.. “Alexa play Tom Petty in the office” Yeah / Happy.. My investment in both Sonos and Echo is vindicated.. A couple of questions.. When will Apple Music be added? And this is Beta, therefore, how will it be updated when the production version releases? Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There aren't any specific plans for Apple Music with Alexa to share today, though if it's already started, Alexa can control what's playing.

Skill improvements will happen largely via automatic updates on the server side of things. A lot of the work to be done happens on either our or Amazon's side of things. We won't need to update players all the time to bring new features. Though updates will, of course, continue to come as well via Sonos software updates.
Thanks for the updated info folks.:P:P
I love it. Bought two plays and enjoyed the incredible sound. Couple months later discovered Alexa and fell madly in love. What? I can’t plug my dot into sonos play 1. Alexa Echo is sub par for great sound. Excited to finally get integration. Set up worked but took a couple tries and now it works seemlessly. I renamed my speaker sonos so it’s natural to say alexa play whatever on sonos. It works. Very happy.
Thank you for the link. Updated to Sonos 8.0 and installed the Sonos Beta Alexa Skill. Works like a champ.. “Alexa play Tom Petty in the office” Yeah / Happy.. My investment in both Sonos and Echo is vindicated.. A couple of questions.. When will Apple Music be added? And this is Beta, therefore, how will it be updated when the production version releases? Thanks again!

Hey robert,
I have a sonos set up already and want to add en echo. Would you (or anyone reading this) confirm if the echo plays together with the existing sonos set up, or does it just work as mic for orders?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It works for all Sonos equipment you just have to have the current Sonos firmware and go to alexa app and enable the Sonos skill. See links with more info above. I have echo dots all over my house that also control all my Sonos speakers if needed.

The new Sonos one is more geared to those that already don’t have alexa devices around their house.
It works for all Sonos equipment you just have to have the current Sonos firmware and go to alexa app and enable the Sonos skill. See links with more info above. I have echo dots all over my house that also control all my Sonos speakers if needed.

The new Sonos one is more geared to those that already don’t have alexa devices around their house.

Thanks mate!
I live in sweden and getting the alexa kit with the hue bulbs from amazon uk. Its a bit of a gamble i guess thats why i am trying to get well informed :D
Configuration wise seems ok so ill give it a go!
J
Thanks for the tips! I have a Sonos Play 1 system and got an Echo Dot to use with it and had a hard time connecting, thought I'd have to buy a cable. I just hadn't finished the setup to allow Alexa to find the name of my Sonos "Lounge". Works like a charm!