Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Userlevel 4
I just set up a Sonos One with Alexa and the sound is noticeably better than the Amazon Echo. On the Sonos One though, each and every time I call "Alexa" it plays some kind of acknowledgement tone. When I call my Echo or Dot, thankfully there is no such tone. Is there anyway to disable it?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 29 January 2019, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

+1 would be great to turn off the chime
Just got the beam. Would love to be able to turn the sound off.
How is this STILL not addressed? This by far the most annoying and intrusive feature ever. I’m not a moron, if I say Alexa I know the next thing I do is give a command. On top of that if it’s the middle of the night and I ask Alexa something this LOUD sound disturbs my environment. And why does it need to match the speaker volume? Does anyone at Sonos actually use this at home? It’s so poorly thought out. I mean come on guys, this is not cool.
Youve got to wonder how this wake sound got past any qa or beta testing. Given there is a perfectly capable multi colour capable LED on the device, then im not buying the whole "its an amazon requirement" thing, as they could have just had the led cycle colours just like on the echos and dots.

With the advent of siri and further products from google on the horizon, and amazon likely to be refreshing and updating the echo line to cater for tbose who want better audio quality, sonos are staring down the barrel here.

People can laugh and scoff at that if theh want, but the main complaints here relate to how poor and half baked the alexa implementation. So it very much is a race between sonos sorting the alexa implementation and amazon sorting the audio quality. Or some blindside from apple or google. The first one to sort this will be the VHS. The others will be the betamax.

Sonos have a headstart as they already have penetration into the home and a firmware update could fix several of the major issues. For them to ignore this for months on end, giving the competition time to fix their failings seems daft to me.

No one executes multiroom streaming as well as Sonos. I mean try a HomePod, this just go wrong, Sonos is very realiable. The ecosystem for blending multiroom and home audio is IMO the best as well. That’s why I stay with a device in every room. But this Alexa implementations man, this is such a bonehead move I would jump ship FAST if anyone else stepped up to the plate with a worthy solution. Not a good place to be in as a company if some of your most loyal customers are just waiting to leave.
I agree with the sentiments expressed by so many; the tone is annoying, it is too loud, it sounds like a Windows error message, it is unnecessary, and it is most unlike Sonos to behave this way. I bought a single Sonos One with the aim of getting more, but I am discouraged by this tone. Although it would be easiest to simply remove the tone why not let users adjust the tone or volume in settings if there is a requirement from Amazon?
Add my vote. At least disable, if possible, would also be able to change tone.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Honestly, I hate using Alexa with Sonos because of it but I deal because the sonos sound/platform is so superior for streaming music. The chime sound is very loud and grating. When alexa wakes accidentally when we have the volume up from playing music previously it makes the whole room jump. So we mute the mic to prevent this. It might be good for dev testing purposes, but it’s horrible for home use. What’s the point of marketing this feature if customers come to loathe it? I really hope this feature request to simply be able to turn this obnoxious chime off is in the pipeline. If you really want crossovers from voice assistants buying into sonos, this kind of thing is really glaring. I’ve had several guests comment negatively on it almost in the same breath that they compliment the remarkable sound quality and subtle speaker profile. It’s probably cost you 4 new customers just visiting my house.
Please Sonos. Just fix this. I can’t believe this is a biggy. Got two Sonos Ones this week and it’s driving me nuts. One is permanently mic-muted which is a real shame as the blend of Sonos and Alexa was a huge factor for me...
Please Sonos. Just fix this. I can’t believe this is a biggy. Got two Sonos Ones this week and it’s driving me nuts. One is permanently mic-muted which is a real shame as the blend of Sonos and Alexa was a huge factor for me...
Yes, it drives me nuts too, but this needs the 'Notification' tone (that's it’s official name) turned off in the Alexa App 'Device Settings' with a toggle switch. The switch is present on all the Amazon echo devices, but it’s not yet in place on the Sonos devices. It’s probably Amazon that need to do this in their Alexa App. Wish they would hurry up and sort it.
Adding my vote to this. It’s obnoxious, and should be incredibly easy to create an option to disable.
Userlevel 1
This problem and and the inability to change wake word are very large annoyances. Sonos please fix!
How has this not been fixed yet? It's aesthetically and functionally awful. So incongruous with the rest of Sonos.
Userlevel 1
BONG!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
Userlevel 1
Alexa is playing on another device. Would you like it to play on this one instead? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
Userlevel 1
Why the fridge magnet do you have to repeat everything i ask you to play. I'm not f...ing stupid. Just shut up and play my music....stop f....ing beeping at me.....BEEEEEEEEP
I Wish I had read this thread before buying my Sonos Ones. This unnecessary BEEP after saying Alexa is Bl*****y annoying and distracting. Come on Sonos. You have been promising us monthly updates so let’s get rid of this Noise in the next one and keep us happy customers.
Tacking onto this. The beep is incredibly jarring and totally ruins the otherwise great experience that I’m sure y’all worked really hard on building
Agree. I had been waiting for Alexa integration to upgrade my surround sound (Beam + 1's). But the Alexa is so bad with the beep vs. the normal Echo's that I might have to return the system.
Long time Alexa user. Just “upgraded” to sonos one today within 10 minutes of finishing the setup I found myself on this page. Will be returning this unit to Best Buy as that stupid chime is annoying. Has sonos even Responded to this thread yet? Disappointing to say the least.
Also erm... reaching out to you. Love my new One - my first Sonos experience - and generally pleased with the Alexa function. However I also find the post-'Alexa' tone very irritating so really want the option to either turn off or reduce volume (without affecting voice volume).
PLEASE!

Yes, please! This noise is way too loud and either interrupts my speaking or interferes with Alexa being able to hear me. Very frustrating!
+1. It's all been said but still not addressed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The wake sound is definitely not a good companion to Alexa's new whisper mode. 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge
YES. The new whisper mode is further evidence of how important subtle voice command interaction are to Voice AI providers. Please have the developers prioritize this on their roadmap as this is clashing directly with this key feature. A quieter tone would immensely better. This should be an easy override in the app at least.
YES. The new whisper mode is further evidence of how important subtle voice command interaction are to Voice AI providers. Please have the developers prioritize this on their roadmap as this is clashing directly with this key feature. A quieter tone would immensely better. This should be an easy override in the app at least.
No 'notification' tone at all to the Alexa wake word, would be even better .. I hate the tone...

I love the new Alexa 'brief mode' and it works even better with the 'notification tone' turned off in each of the Amazon Echo devices 'Settings/Sounds'... I’ve switched all mine off.

Just wish I could do the same for each of my Sonos devices.
Do you mean the Sonos Controller app? You can't set Alexa preferences in the Sonos app, that's only possible within the Alexa app.