Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Userlevel 4
I just set up a Sonos One with Alexa and the sound is noticeably better than the Amazon Echo. On the Sonos One though, each and every time I call "Alexa" it plays some kind of acknowledgement tone. When I call my Echo or Dot, thankfully there is no such tone. Is there anyway to disable it?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 29 January 2019, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud. There isn't a way to turn that off, but I'll pass on your request to the team for you.

Thanks for reaching out!
Userlevel 2
I second an option to turn this off - or at least change it in some way. The tone can be a little loud, maybe just have Alexa say "yes?" or "how can I help?"
Userlevel 2
I agree. Please mak this an option. I won’t buy another speaker until this is fixed...it’s annoying and unnecessary.
Userlevel 1
Please give us this option.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud. There isn't a way to turn that off, but I'll pass on your request to the team for you.

Thanks for reaching out!

Google how doesn’t have a light ring, it light in the same way as the sonos one and this doesn’t have this stupid and irritating sound. No only is it silly but it means more often than not the sonos one miss hears what you ask. I don’t think it is a feature we would like but rather a feature needed!
Userlevel 1
Just adding my vote to disable/change the wake chime. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Also erm... reaching out to you. Love my new One - my first Sonos experience - and generally pleased with the Alexa function. However I also find the post-'Alexa' tone very irritating so really want the option to either turn off or reduce volume (without affecting voice volume).
PLEASE!
Userlevel 1
It would be great to have this be an option to disable. I know personally I am confident that alexa is activated 99 percent of the time and to not need to hear that chime to know it happened. If this gets fixed I will be adding one more sonos one to the room so my chances will be even better of it hearing me 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am just "Chiming in" with agreement that this chime after saying "Alexa" is annoying! I can understand a sound if an error occurs (in computers 35 years) but I agree with others that this current sound does not add any value to the Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
Agree the Sonos One wake chime is superfluous & should have a disable feature. The power LED light already increases in brightness for a visual cue, if needed.
Userlevel 1
I love alexa. My girlfriend does not. The fact that we now hear a noise every time alexa is activated has only boosted her confidence in the fact that alexa is always listening. It should not make that noise when watching a tv show, or when we’re just having standard conversation. Requesting turn off feature as well
+1. Understand the reason and decision. Possible to use the led used for pairing instead? Really annoying for previous user of echo and appreciate any workaround you can provide. Thanks and overall great work!
Userlevel 1
I agree with the above- please add option to disable sound
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan S have you already heard back from the team? Very curious to understand expected timeline to implement. Does not seem to be a very big change but more/less a small software update isn't it?
Userlevel 1
+1 from me too. There's two problems with the tone:

1. The echos generally don't make a tone (or sometimes make a very soft tone), so it's frustrating to have a different speaking "syntax" in a household where you have some Sonos Ones and some Echos.

2. The beep is so loud that you can't speak naturally but instead have to pause after "Alexa" otherwise it will miss the beginning of the command.
Userlevel 1
+1 This should be an easy option to implement in the software. Please give users the option to hear the request sound, which, I feel, is loud, annoying, and unnecessary. I just got a Sonos One yesterday and am seriously considering returning it and switching back to my new Echo.
Userlevel 1

Thanks for reaching out!

Make the top light come on. The request prompt is unnecessary...or give US the ability to decide by making the tone an option.
Userlevel 1
This is a must feature, please implement it. Also, my Play One will be heading back to Sonos soon, unless it will also become possible to pair with my three, soon to be four Echo units. Having an option to play 'Everywhere' has to include the room my Sonos One is in.
+1 on this. SO annoying and doesn’t mimic any of the other Alexa devices’ behavior.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ryan S have you already heard back from the team? Very curious to understand expected timeline to implement. Does not seem to be a very big change but more/less a small software update isn't it?
There isn't any official word yet, but I'll let you know if there's anything to share. We'll make sure the team knows the level of interest that we're hearing from you all too.
Oh God, yes. Turn it off.
Another vote for this feature request here. Having the One play a sound while I'm speaking is off-putting and makes me think Alexa won’t have heard me properly.
Adding another voice to the thread suggesting an option to either disable the Alexa tone on the Sonos One or control it’s volume. The tone is disruptive when interacting with Alexa when compared to using an actual echo device and makes this a less appealing product as a result.
Ditto-- really disruptive.
Please give us the option to disable the tone! It’s very annoying.