Answered

Connecting an echo dot

• 12 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I was wondering if there was a way to connect the dot and make all sound from the dot speaker come out of the sonos speakers.

Currently I have a playbar and 2 Sonos Ones as surround speakers. I use it for music more than I do tv but I use it for both. I love Alexa.

I’m planning on buying 2 play 3 speakers to replace the rear speakers and using a dot for the Alexa so I can move the Sonos One speakers into my open kitchen/living room area. Any help would be thankful.
icon

Best answer by Legnum Nick 12 March 2018, 14:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
HI wonslung

The echo dot can only command one room (Sonos) at a time. However, once that room is active (playing music) you can go to other Sonos speakers and have them join by depressing the play/pause for a 2 seconds (if stereo pair you only need to touch one speaker).

Also, you can go into the Sonos App and group speakers to the original speaker commanded by the echo dot.

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sound from the Dot always comes from the Dot as far as I know. You can control each Sonos Zone from the Dot but Alexa responds to your queries through the Dot speaker. She does dip the volume of the Sonos to do that, which is useful but also contentious - have a read of one of the several dipping threads!
Those threads tend to talk about the issue using the term "ducking", rather than dipping :)

You could conceivably connect the dot using it's headphone out port to an analog input, but you'd need a PLAY:5 or a CONNECT, since those are the only two Sonos devices with an analog input. Neither the PLAY:1 or PLAY:3 have an analog input.