Answered

Changing the wake word on Beam

• 5 September 2018
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2
How do I change the wake word on my new Sonos Beam?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 September 2018, 15:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 2
I have just added a new Sonos Beam to my living room television. I already have Amazon Echo speakers in all of my rooms, and use them for music in all the rooms. I'm using the "Alexa" wake word for those devices, and I would prefer to use a different wake word for my Sonos Beam. How can I change the wake word?
At this time, Amazon does not allow changing the wake word on Alexa enabled devices like the Beam.
Userlevel 2
Well that's disappointing. Is there an Amazon community I can complain too?
Userlevel 1
Well I guess I will return my beam and buy another when the wake word can be changed: I need the wake word to be one of the Amazon alternates, specifically "computer".
Please push Amazon to let you allow this to be changed on your product. The speaker is great but this issue is a deal breaker for me.
Keep up the good work sonos.
Userlevel 2
I'm hoping Amazon and Sonos fix this problem. I'm keeping my Beam, which sounds great, but currently, I'm not using the Alexa connectivity, because I cannot change the wake word.
It's been a request since Sonos and Amazon released the feature.
Really disappointed by this. Just got my Beam and love the sound, but my daughter’s name is Alexis. Really not very convenient.
Amazon - my daughters name is Alexa. When are you CLOWNS going to get your act together and allow your third parties to change the wake word. This is more than a simple annoyance and has been in place way to long.
Userlevel 1
Wake word Alexa is awful and constantly misfires
I agree I have several of these devices and everyday a tv or radio ad is triggering this every few hours each day. Really annoying!
Concur. Sonos needs to provide the capability to change the Alexa wake word.
Userlevel 1
This is an unexpected showstopper. I only use Alexa instead of Siri because I can use "computer", and bought Sonos One and Beam devices with no doubt that this would be the full and complete Alexa experience. Even looking at it now, I see that in the product page Sonos only discloses that "Beam and One do not support the Alexa features Drop In, calling and messaging." I feel not only disappointed, but also misled.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, Finally weakened and added a Play One to my sizeable Sonos System to take full advantage of Airplay and Alexa. Really frustrated that I can't change wake word. I use Echo, as my Daughter got in first with her's, Alexa, and she does not want her Alexa shared with mine. Please address this as soon as possible. Spoils the whole point of the two systems working in "harmony" This must be a simple fix

Adding my voice here - given their use as audio for tv and other media my beam mis-hears way too often

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I’ll add my voice too - the ability to change the wake word on Beam is needed. 

This is extremely disappointing. With so many people complaining about it, why hasn't this already been addressed?! 

Very disappointed to find small features like this are continuing to go unaddressed. Not because I care that much about wake words, but because things like that are so indicative of what I continue to uncover the more I try to incorporate Sonos into any semblance of a “smart” home.

Sonos: Your old speakers are going to become useless bricks because the sOfTwArEs ArEs UpDaTiNg So MuCh. Our speakers are more about modern software and smart homes than long-term investments in quality.

Also Sonos: At this time we not adding useful features that have been requested for our extremely expensive products. Updating softwares is ToO HaRd!! How can we be expected to keep up?

Obviously I understand that integration across companies and teams can be difficult, but when I pay for premium products I don’t expect that I’m paying to witness your internal inadequacies in my living room. Make your products cheaper, or develop your products more thoroughly.

The past year has been a year of transitioning from excitement about Sonos to recommending against it to friends interesting in diving in. These digital speakers have simply failed to reward users with the latest smart home features and are now starting to punish us for having invested early.

Owning Sonos is starting to feel like not eating your cake and not having it too. 

Very disappointed to find small features like this are continuing to go unaddressed. Not because I care that much about wake words, but because things like that are so indicative of what I continue to uncover the more I try to incorporate Sonos into any semblance of a “smart” home.

Sonos: Your old speakers are going to become useless bricks because the sOfTwArEs ArEs UpDaTiNg So MuCh. Our speakers are more about modern software and smart homes than long-term investments in quality.

False.

Also Sonos: At this time we not adding useful features that have been requested for our extremely expensive products. Updating softwares is ToO HaRd!! How can we be expected to keep up?

So which do you want, more features or sustaining older hardware?  Pick one.

Obviously I understand that integration across companies and teams can be difficult, but when I pay for premium products I don’t expect that I’m paying to witness your internal inadequacies in my living room. Make your products cheaper, or develop your products more thoroughly.

The past year has been a year of transitioning from excitement about Sonos to recommending against it to friends interesting in diving in. These digital speakers have simply failed to reward users with the latest smart home features and are now starting to punish us for having invested early.

Owning Sonos is starting to feel like not eating your cake and not having it too. 

You can change the wake words on the Echo and Amazon devices, but the Beam wake word has to remain “Alexa”.