can not get alexa to turn tv on or off

• 1 December 2020
  • 3 replies

After going around in circles and chasing my tale for an answer I finally figured out the solution to my particular issue.  When I asked Alexa to turn on/off the Tv, the response was always, " Tv does not support that".  Long story short, opened Alexa app on my tablet, found my Tv ("Sony Bravia") and Alexa suggested different comands to try, for example. "Alexa turn on/off (LIVING ROOM TV").  Alexa mute (LIVING ROOM TV")  It turns out just saying turn on tv, turn off tv is confusing to Alexa as it needs to know what you labeled your Tv, for example.  Living room Tv, Kitchen Tv, Bedroom Tv and so on.  Once I told Alexa were the tv was assigned she executed the command and made me a sane person again.  Hope this helps.

P.S. I love my Sonos, wow wee, thats some system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @Derscouse, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for sharing your experience in controlling Alexa with your TV. I hope this helps other Sonos community users who may have the same issue with Alexa. 

If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Derscouse, thanks for the update, we appreciated each and every feedback that every user have, We'll try our best to improve your experience with our Sonos products and services.

If you have other questions about your Sonos products and services, feel free to reach out.