Answered

Boost-Alexa-Sonos system

• 5 October 2017
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I have a Boost system which runs 2x Play One's in stereo, 1x Play One and a Play 3. A little confused at the new development.

a) Two ways to make Alexa work with my system. 1: purchase the Alexa/Sonos speaker or 2: purchase an Amazon Echo or Dot.
Is this correct, to make all my system work?

b) Working with Boost, this creates a "special WIFI system just for Sonos speakers" Will this be ok to work with a) ?

I have read everything on here about Alexa etc., I just want to have my system working under this exciting new system. Please help. Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 October 2017, 00:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi mikegunnill, to use Alexa with Sonos you just need an Alexa enabled device, such as you mentioned in that first point. You could use a Sonos One with the BOOST's wireless network, but an Echo Dot or other Alexa device can't connect to that same wireless network. They could connect to your home wireless though, and any of those devices could be used to control what's playing on your Sonos system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thank you Ryan, grateful for your reply.
Badge
Hi mikegunnill, to use Alexa with Sonos you just need an Alexa enabled device, such as you mentioned in that first point. You could use a Sonos One with the BOOST's wireless network, but an Echo Dot or other Alexa device can't connect to that same wireless network. They could connect to your home wireless though, and any of those devices could be used to control what's playing on your Sonos system.
Badge
Sorry....but I'm getting confused here. So a play one with alexa will work on the sonos network? But a dot or echo won't....correct? Will a play one on my network still control the sonos network or will I have put everything on my regular network and remove the boost. I would also like pay one (alexa) to control my honeywell smart thermostats...pretty sure they will have to be on the same network. Any thoughts?
Don't overthink this; the Sonos network is relevant only for ensuring robust audio streaming, though not essential for music play where the WiFi is robust because Sonos can also work on the same Wifi network that Echo works on. And so do all iOS controllers as well as Android controllers, though these can also work on the Sonos network.

In general, Alexa features will work on the same home WiFi network whether the hardware is from Amazon or from Sonos. There are other issues that need addressing, but this isn't one of them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I have my speakers on a Boost system and I now have a Dot as well, which is on my "normal" wifi network. The speakers work well this way. The Dot control is limited at the moment. I can raise/lower the volume of the current song and move to the next track by commands.I have to start off the playlist first however. I can not at the moment do anything else in the way of controlling my Sonos music. I understand this will change however. I would have thought the Play One will be the same, as it's the Alexa control that is limited, at the moment. I would love to chose a playlist for example by voice command. It is a good system but just at the start of it's development - unless I am doing something wrong! From choice I would have liked a new Play One with control instead of the Dot. But I run 2x speakers in my kitchen for stereo and to do this the Sonos way, this requires 2x Play One's. I wasn't prepared for that kind of expenditure. Well done to Sonos for this development but I do look forward to new updates. I also control my Hive heating and lights from Dot.
Badge
Don't overthink this; the Sonos network is relevant only for ensuring robust audio streaming, though not essential for music play where the WiFi is robust because Sonos can also work on the same Wifi network that Echo works on. And so do all iOS controllers as well as Android controllers, though these can also work on the Sonos network.

In general, Alexa features will work on the same home WiFi network whether the hardware is from Amazon or from Sonos. There are other issues that need addressing, but this isn't one of them.
Badge
I get that sonos works on any wifi....but I noticed when I had my sonos products on my regular wifi....I got drops and pauses....kind of annoying. When connected to the boost network....plays great. Like the idea of adding a Play one with Alexa.....just would like to take advantage of eveything Alexa can do....
But I run 2x speakers in my kitchen for stereo and to do this the Sonos way, this requires 2x Play One's.
No, it just needs the expense of a Dot; the only difference is that non Sonos response will be heard through the Dot speakers. The Sonos One includes the Dot like hardware in its box and is really meant for those that need both in one box, not having a play 1 already.
Badge
I have my speakers on a Boost system and I now have a Dot as well, which is on my "normal" wifi network. The speakers work well this way. The Dot control is limited at the moment. I can raise/lower the volume of the current song and move to the next track by commands.I have to start off the playlist first however. I can not at the moment do anything else in the way of controlling my Sonos music. I understand this will change however. I would have thought the Play One will be the same, as it's the Alexa control that is limited, at the moment. I would love to chose a playlist for example by voice command. It is a good system but just at the start of it's development - unless I am doing something wrong! From choice I would have liked a new Play One with control instead of the Dot. But I run 2x speakers in my kitchen for stereo and to do this the Sonos way, this requires 2x Play One's. I wasn't prepared for that kind of expenditure. Well done to Sonos for this development but I do look forward to new updates. I also control my Hive heating and lights from Dot.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
But I run 2x speakers in my kitchen for stereo and to do this the Sonos way, this requires 2x Play One's.
No, it just needs the expense of a Dot; the only difference is that non Sonos response will be heard through the Dot speakers. The Sonos One includes the Dot like hardware in its box and is really meant for those that need both in one box, not having a play 1 already.

That's what I said. To have stereo in the kitchen I would have had to purchase 2x new units. I wasn't going to do that!
When connected to the boost network....plays great.
That is because the boost better supports continuous music streaming needs. But if you are using an iPhone hosted controller for example, even in a boost based set up the control commands are still over the home WiFi and this works quite well, right? Ditto for Alexa hardware from Amazon.

That's what I said. To have stereo in the kitchen I would have had to purchase 2x new units. I wasn't going to do that!

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you said you have a play 1 pair already in the kitchen and you thought it would need to be replaced by a Sonos One pair to get Alexa features there.
Badge
Thanks for that response....really helps. I run a two play 3s and a play 5 and would mind have another one to move around but don't really need it. So.... $50 dot or a $200 one with alexa control....have to give this some thought
I would get the One only if I needed another good quality speaker in the same or other rooms; else, the Dot will suffice.
Also, if this is your first Alexa device, get the Dot. Echo devices can do things others can't, so to get the full experience, I'd get at least one Echo (Echo Dot is the full name).
Badge
Something to think about....thanks for all the replies. Great info from everyone.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Something to think about....thanks for all the replies. Great info from everyone.

Yes it really helps to talk about this. I look forward to more control over my playlists via Alexa. Thanks for your help.
If the Boost is hard wired into the router, how on earth doesn't the Sonos One know how to navigate the home subnet.
See: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-boost-setup-6798659