Beam says it doesn't support Routines but then executes it

• 26 September 2018
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Weird scenario on my Beam - I have a 'night' routine set up on Alexa. When I request it on my Beam the response is that the device does not support that function, and then it duly executes the routine (turning off all lights in the house) - strange. I get the feeling this is a bug. Am I correct or is there something else going on that I should know about?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I think technically, you should be pinging Amazon about this. For this purpose, the Beam is only a microphone that carries your voice to Amazon's cloud service, where your command is interpreted by Amazon and acted on. The Beam isn't part of the logic stream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Currently, Sonos One and Beam can initiate Routines, but you can't include Sonos devices in a Routine. So if your Routine is to turn off the lights, it should simply perform that action. If it were to turn off the lights and play white noise, that second part can't be set-up to target Sonos devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for the responses. @Ryan, the Beam is executing the Routine exactly as it should which is fine, however, Alexa says beforehand "audio actions in routines are not supported on this device" and then turns off the lights and says "goodnight" which are the exact Routine instructions - so I'm not sure about the message that the Beam currently does not support the audio bit. I'm not convinced this is an Alexa issue as it works fine without this message on my other Dots. Anything additional you can add?
Badge +2
Barry, I have the same issue. I was planning on reporting it too!
Let's hope it's getting an update anytime soon!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Any update Ryan S? It gotta be a bug - can you escalate?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have no audio actions i my routines and I still get “Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device”
I finally found the pattern. My routines used groups of light sources, only light sources, no audio device. If I remove the group from my routine and add the lights one by one the “error” goes away.
@Ryan S
I have an issue where I set a routine to turn tv and my xbox one on when I say, "Alexa, turn on my tv." (Note, I've tried several trigger phrases) and it gives me the line, "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device” like other people are hearing... then it does that exact thing I wanted it to do. It's almost perfect. I just want to disable that pre-recording as it's BS. The beam can do what I programmed. It just gives me this inaccurate statement each time first. It's frustrating to the point where I remove the routine bc I don't want to hear that line anymore.
I have an issue where I set a routine to turn tv and my xbox one on when I say, "Alexa, turn on my tv." (Note, I've tried several trigger phrases) and it gives me the line, "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device” like other people are hearing... then it does that exact thing I wanted it to do. It's almost perfect. I just want to disable that pre-recording as it's BS. The beam can do what I programmed. It just gives me this inaccurate statement each time first. It's frustrating to the point where I remove the routine bc I don't want to hear that line anymore.
Yes I’m having this problem too. I have lights and plugs only in my Alexa routine, which is activated with 'Alexa, start dinner time' and I get the same reply too. It is only recently that this has started happening. The same routine used to work before just fine with my beam. I suspect Amazon may have changed something here. Hope they sort it in time for my Christmas dinner party in a few weeks time... fingers-x'd ?
Badge
Currently, Sonos One and Beam can initiate Routines, but you can't include Sonos devices in a Routine. So if your Routine is to turn off the lights, it should simply perform that action. If it were to turn off the lights and play white noise, that second part can't be set-up to target Sonos devices.
Are there any plans to fix this issue, so that Sonos can also play the song which is part of a routing?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Oh, I’ve had this problem since the very beginning. I just gave up on doing any routines, and forgot all about it until I stumbled across this thread.
Badge
I think advertising that Sonos Beam comes with built-in Alexa is misleading. Sonos should mention that Sonos Beam doesn't support all Amazon Alexa features. Or at least they should update Beam and fix this issue. Ignoring customers won't never help.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have the same issue @Ryan S, please do something to fix it because is so annoying that our speakers gives us the line "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device" and then executes without any problem.
Badge +1
This issue was bugging us too... and then suddenly tonight, our Beam just executed the routine with no complaint!
This issue was bugging us too... and then suddenly tonight, our Beam just executed the routine with no complaint!Yes, I just tried it too with my Alexa routines and the 'Audio Actions in Routines ....' response message has now gone. Looks like Amazon and Sonos have fixed the issue following the latest update.?
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Same experience here. Error is gone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Oh, yeah. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge
Wish i could say the same. Still there.....
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Wish i could say the same. Still there.....

There’s a new software update available, 10.0
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos app says im up.to date
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just checked. Im running 10.0
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Just checked. Im running 10.0

Oh...
Userlevel 2
Badge
Never mnd i did contact sosnos about this last week and they had no suggestions.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Doesnt say it for my good night routine though!
If i don't specify a vocal reaction to me it just says "OK" and runs the routine. If i try this with my good morning routine it still says routines are not supported.
The same with my Sonos One. 😞
I have the exact same issue. I bought my Beam yesterday and when I tried my routines it says that, so annoying! The weird thing is that the routine works perfect, it does everything it supposed to do.