Beam Alexa won’t turn on the TV. Will turn off tho

• 25 August 2018
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
Hello - I have a Beam that is connected to my TV, but it will not turn on the TV. Once the TV is on, Alexa will turn it off. But when the TV is off and I say “Alexa, turn on the TV”, she responds with “Ok”.....but nothing happens. Is this a bug? Does anyone know how to fix it? Thank you in advance!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, SSS1. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. If Alexa is saying "Ok.." and nothing happens after, it tells us that the command is going through to Alexa and the breakdown happens between the command being sent and the TV getting the signal. I have seen a few cases where TV's will turn off the HDMI ports or put them into a sleep mode when the TV is turned off. What is the make and model of the TV you are using?

Thanks!
Hello Keith, thank you for the response. My TV is a Samsung and the model number is UN46F6300.
I have the same issue but with a Panasonic TV, so will be watching this thread with interest. Interesting, after switching the TV off with Alexa, the sound of the Beam remained on TV (even though no sound was being sent) and I had to confirm that I want to switch sound away from TV when I wanted to listen to music.
Badge +1
I had problems with Sonos Beam and a Hisense TV not talking. I had an old reliable 1.3 HDMI cable connecting the two. The one that came with the Beam was way too short to reach. I replaced the old cable with a more up to date one a V2.0 and all is sweet it works a treat.
I'm having the same issue with our Panasonic TV. I used the cable that came with the Beam. It turns it off, but not on.