Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device.

• 5 December 2018
  • 78 replies

Userlevel 3
I have set up a simple 2 step routing to turn on two smart plugs simultaneously through Alexa. This works 100% find on a dot but I get an audio recording of "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device" every time I run it from my Sonos One. How do I make this irritation go away!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

I thought I had it fixed after removing and remaking the routines but it only fixed it for one execution of the action...then it started preceding the actions with the warning again. I too am looking for a resolution to this anomaly. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos any update? 

Badge

Im also hoping for a solution to this. Just seems like a bug, or caused by a combination of scenarios that I can’t figure out. I’ve disconnected and re-set-up everything but still the same error message, despite it then proceeding to run the command as normal. I’ll send a support request to Alexa and Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos, any update on this bug? 

Sonos, any update?

Initially it was working fine. Now it only supports weather …… Sonos and Amazon should work together to fix this otherwise we should stop buying Sonos products with Alexa altogether now. After 1 year, the situation is still the same.  

How annoying, came here looking for answers, leaving feeling dejected about the money I foolishly spent

Does support monitor this thread? It’s a year old with numerous requests for help from Sonos and not a peep from them. It makes me nervous about continuing down the SONOS path or recommending to friends.

Does support monitor this thread? It’s a year old with numerous requests for help from Sonos and not a peep from them. It makes me nervous about continuing down the SONOS path or recommending to friends.

I'm sure they do monitor this thread, they clearly just don't respect their client base - after all they have our money now don't they? Typical American company - treat u like royalty until they have ur cash, then treat u like scum. 

I suppose so Jammalam, very discouraging.

I have been getting the same error so came looking for answers. Can’t believe this post is 1 year old

and still no solution to this issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your concerns about your Alexa routines. While routines are not fully supported within Sonos at this time we are aware of this and are continuing to work with Amazon to improve features and expand functionality. Please keep an eye out on the "Announcements" forum for any updates on expanding feature support for our supported voice services.            

I had the same issue with the 'Goodnight' routine, I was able to fix this by removing 'Say a random phrase from goodnight'. It appears that any verbal response from Alexa isn't supported, so just remove it and the annoying error message should disappear and you will just get an 'Okay' in response to your request.

Just FYI I have the routine turning multiple lights on & off and turning the Tv off. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello there, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your concerns about your Alexa routines. While routines are not fully supported within Sonos at this time we are aware of this and are continuing to work with Amazon to improve features and expand functionality. Please keep an eye out on the "Announcements" forum for any updates on expanding feature support for our supported voice services.            

I hope your developers are aware that they just need to update to the new API? Bose did this very long ago.

Userlevel 1

Same issue. I went out and bought 3 speakers to the tune of $1000+ because of the sound quality and Alexa integration. I planned on buying 3 more to complete the set up, but might just cut my losses, sell  what I have, and wait for Amazon to come out with better sounding speakers. Or try Apple HomePod. It’s obnoxious to hear Sonos tell me my routines aren’t integrated every day. Super disappointing. 

Userlevel 1

I have been waiting almost a year for an update since I spoke to some-one at the team.

This could have been easily implemented in this time. In fact the functionality was there, it just had the annoying ‘audio actions..’ message after. Now the functionality has been removed in an update, and only the annoying message plays!

Sonos, can we have some clearer communication here please. Does the routine voice commands via Sonos using Alexa have a barrier of entry set by Amazon? Are your developers and/or team working on this? Any idea of time if so? 

Many like myself who will view these threads are patiently waiting, feeling like they have overpaid for a product lacking functionalities you would expect from the advertising. I know people who feel the same way, and I myself am considering changing systems as home automation was the main reason I purchased all these speakers.

Userlevel 1

@Jean C.  Sonos.. any update? 

Userlevel 1

I have been waiting almost a year for an update since I spoke to some-one at the team.

This could have been easily implemented in this time. In fact the functionality was there, it just had the annoying ‘audio actions..’ message after. Now the functionality has been removed in an update, and only the annoying message plays!

Sonos, can we have some clearer communication here please. Does the routine voice commands via Sonos using Alexa have a barrier of entry set by Amazon? Are your developers and/or team working on this? Any idea of time if so? 

Many like myself who will view these threads are patiently waiting, feeling like they have overpaid for a product lacking functionalities you would expect from the advertising. I know people who feel the same way, and I myself am considering changing systems as home automation was the main reason I purchased all these speakers.

I have also paused purchasing further speakers and am considering jumping ship to another brand now. 

I have also paused purchasing further speakers and am considering jumping ship to another brand now. 

I’m curious, what other brand has Alexa built-in and fully supports Alexa Routines?

Userlevel 1

Bose Music Speakers do support this, among others. 

The worst factor here is not having information on this from Sonos. Even with the annoying error message the functionality was still there, it has now gone, breaking a lot of routines.

It is fine if Sonos is having a block with Amazon, or there are some issues to be worked on. But not to give paying customers information and clarity is extremely frustrating. I would expect no solution is coming or they would respond to these with some clarity.

If it wasn’t for this I would be motivated to purchase more speakers through Sonos, and recommend them highly. But when people ask me, I have to tell them now that functionality stops working, and they do not let you know what is going on. 

If it is purely Amazon with new terms holding Sonos back, that is very understandable, but customers need to know in order to make decisions.

Userlevel 1

I’m curious, what other brand has Alexa built-in and fully supports Alexa Routines?

I’d likely switch to Apple / Siri

I’d likely switch to Apple / Siri

Really?  By all accounts, the HomePod is a bust, and like other Apple busts, will probably be wiped from the historical record.

Userlevel 1

I appreciate the feedback. How do you like the Bose system?