Answered

Ask Alexa to play tv audio on a sono one

• 2 February 2019
  • 11 replies

Can I ask Alexa on Sono One to play the sound currently on my playbase that is tv audio? I saw in another forum Alexa doesn't understand grouping.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 3 February 2019, 10:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

There is no Alexa voice command to add a speaker to another Sonos player but you can use the Preferred Speaker option within Alexa Groups - Please see https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788/index1.html#post16298346

However, this will do this all of the time and you'll need to remove the option in the Sonos App>Room Settings>[Select Your PlayBase]>TV to break the Playbase out of a group.
Badge +2
Similarly...........sorry for my confusion here but what about Playbar. I am trying to use Alexa voice to push my TV audio to my Sonos ONE in the Kitchen group and separately (but not simultaneously) to my Den group with a Play1/echo. I've been trying several configs for both Alexa and Sonos but only have been able to manually turn on the respective speakers manually via the Sonos app for Kitchen and Den. Is this possible by voice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
TV is handled slightly different than Music. In the 'Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>[Select your PlayBar]>TV & Remote>TV' there is an option to 'Ungroup on AutoPlay' and 'TV Autoplay' which is default set to 'On'. 'TV AutoPlay' will automatically switch the PlayBar to TV input when detected and the 'Ungroup on AutoPlay', will automatically remove the PlayBar from any Sonos Group.

If you Deselect 'Ungroup on AutoPlay', you can use the Preferred Speaker option to Group your PlayBar and Sonos One together but this will always happen. Or you could use Scenario 2 in my post referenced above RE: Preferred Speaker and create specific Alexa Groups for creating different Sonos Groups.

Does this answer your question?
Badge +2
TV is handled slightly different than Music. In the 'Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>[Select your PlayBar]>TV & Remote>TV' there is an option to 'Ungroup on AutoPlay' and 'TV Autoplay' which is default set to 'On'. 'TV AutoPlay' will automatically switch the PlayBar to TV input when detected and the 'Ungroup on AutoPlay', will automatically remove the PlayBar from any Sonos Group.

If you Deselect 'Ungroup on AutoPlay', you can use the Preferred Speaker option to Group your PlayBar and Sonos One together but this will always happen. Or you could use Scenario 2 in my post referenced above RE: Preferred Speaker and create specific Alexa Groups for creating different Sonos Groups.

Badge +2

Badge +2
Thanks for your reply....i understand the autoplay will send my tv audio to playbar when tv is playing....but is it possible to ask alexa to also play my tv audio to my sonos one or my play1/echo from a different room/group? I can activate those remote speakers via the sonos app by selecting with the check mark button but i would like to do same by alexa voice while in either the kitchen or den. Are you saying i just need to make those remote sonos' my preferred with auto turned on while my playbar is listed as a member of that group?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you saying i just need to make those remote sonos' my preferred with auto turned on while my playbar is listed as a member of that group?

I don't think it is possible with TV through the PlayBar, as Alexa isn't controlling the TV and so there isn't a voice command to initiate TV Audio. Unless you have an Alexa controlled TV, in which case Preferred Speakers would work, otherwise you will need a voice command to add your Sonos One to an existing Room which doesn't exist at the moment.

The only other thing to test is:

- Create an Alexa Group, let's call it 'downstairs tv' and add the PlayBar and Sonos One as Preferred Speakers;
- Start music in this group, 'Alexa, Play Music on downstairs tv';
- Turn on TV.

I'm not sure, even with 'Ungroup on AutoPlay' not selected if it will play on both speakers.

It is slightly easier if you have a Harmony Hub remote, via these steps: (This avoids having to play music to group the players)

1/ Open the Harmony Hub App>Harmony Setup;
2/ Add your Sonos players as devices;
2/ Next create an Activity - Named 'Group Sonos';
3/ Add your required Devices to the Activity;
4/ Disable the Harmony skill in the Alexa App and then Re-Enable. During this process, you have the ability to define 'Friendly Names' - there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this any other way. I created 'Group Sonos' and 'Sonos Everywhere' as friendly names;
5/ Save the Activity in the Harmony Hub App;
6/ Ask 'Alexa, Discover devices'.

Now the command 'Alexa, Turn on Group Sonos' or 'Alexa, Turn on Sonos Everywhere' groups all of my Sonos speakers and displays the new grouping in the Sonos App.
Badge +2
Are you saying i just need to make those remote sonos' my preferred with auto turned on while my playbar is listed as a member of that group?

I don't think it is possible with TV through the PlayBar, as Alexa isn't controlling the TV and so there isn't a voice command to initiate TV Audio. Unless you have an Alexa controlled TV, in which case Preferred Speakers would work, otherwise you will need a voice command to add your Sonos One to an existing Room which doesn't exist at the moment.

The only other thing to test is:

- Create an Alexa Group, let's call it 'downstairs tv' and add the PlayBar and Sonos One as Preferred Speakers;
- Start music in this group, 'Alexa, Play Music on downstairs tv';
- Turn on TV.

I'm not sure, even with 'Ungroup on AutoPlay' not selected if it will play on both speakers.

It is slightly easier if you have a Harmony Hub remote, via these steps: (This avoids having to play music to group the players)

1/ Open the Harmony Hub App>Harmony Setup;
2/ Add your Sonos players as devices;
2/ Next create an Activity - Named 'Group Sonos';
3/ Add your required Devices to the Activity;
4/ Disable the Harmony skill in the Alexa App and then Re-Enable. During this process, you have the ability to define 'Friendly Names' - there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this any other way. I created 'Group Sonos' and 'Sonos Everywhere' as friendly names;
5/ Save the Activity in the Harmony Hub App;
6/ Ask 'Alexa, Discover devices'.

Now the command 'Alexa, Turn on Group Sonos' or 'Alexa, Turn on Sonos Everywhere' groups all of my Sonos speakers and displays the new grouping in the Sonos App.
Badge +2
@UK:

Unless you have an Alexa controlled TV, in which case Preferred Speakers would work, otherwise you will need a voice command to add your Sonos One to an existing Room which doesn't exist at the moment.

My OLED 55C8 LG does have log in screens but not sure about alexa specifically although there is an amazon prime log in template....will investigate w/amazon about alexa enablement....all your suggestions on my plate/ cant wait.....i just want to be in kitchen or den while playbar has tv audio output and tell alexa:

" alexa play tv in kitchen"

as if tv is just another audio subscription

Did i read here that Beam does name TV output as a selectable audio provider?

....thanks for your thoughtful ideas...will advise on progress...regards
Badge +2
@UK:

Unless you have an Alexa controlled TV, in which case Preferred Speakers would work, otherwise you will need a voice command to add your Sonos One to an existing Room which doesn't exist at the moment.

My OLED 55C8 LG does have log in screens but not sure about alexa specifically although there is an amazon prime log in template....will investigate w/amazon about alexa enablement....all your suggestions on my plate/ cant wait.....i just want to be in kitchen or den while playbar has tv audio output and tell alexa:

" alexa play tv in kitchen"

as if tv is just another audio subscription

Did i read here that Beam does name TV output as a selectable audio provider?

....thanks for your thoughtful ideas...will advise on progress...regards
Badge +2
@ UK....
I was able to register my LG TV with both LG & Amazon successfully. Now "TV" shows as a devise in alexa. Still playing with preferred speaker combos trying to use TV as a subscribed service for alexa to recognize; still looking for TV in Sonos but do have my playbar overlapping in several groups/rooms but working from memory here @work after alot of various combos last night@home in both the sonos & alexa apps/skills. I did learn that the ringdoorbell2 will only play to echo (not Sonos) and I'm thinking its possible same here with the sonos ONE/TV audio. Will try with echo next. Thanks for your advise...........Was great to see TV as a recognized device in the alexa world. BTW toggling thru audio sources with button on top of my ONE in kitchen worked to get the playbar TV audio to play in the ONE without having to open my sonos app on my phone.......big step forward but still hell bent on getting alexa voice for a "alexa play tv" command....

Regards